Contract Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by KLFLoyd, Sep 22, 2006.

1. KLFLoyd

KLFLoyd New Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Florida

Advertisements

Sometime last year, unfortunately I don't remember exactly when, I gave my mom my old S2 TiVo that I wasn't really using. I canceled the service on the unit, then took it over to her house and set her up on my Dad's account so she'd be eligible for the MSD. (They're now a 3 TiVo family!) I remember at that point I had to agree to a one year term of service or face a $150 early termination fee or something of that nature. THe idea of having to sign a contract with TiVo on a box I had already bought and paid for bothered me, but I really didn't think much of it because I had little doubt we'd keep the TiVo for a year and then some.

I don't know if it's been a year, though I don't think so, and my mom wants to upgrade to the Dual Tuner TiVo because several of her season passes conflict this season. It would make sense to me, that since we're still continuing TiVo service, although on another box, TiVo wouldn't have any problems with this. I just don't want to end up all of a sudden owing TiVo the $150 early cancellation fee because we cancelled it on that particular box.

We'd probably then turn around and give her old box to a friend who doesn't have TiVo so TiVo not only gets us to upgrade our box, but they get a new subscriber from the (now twice) handed down box.

Is this going to create any problems?

Thanks!
    Katie

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    How much longer is left on the contract? That would be step one, to find out for sure.

3. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin' TCF Club

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Check out this TiVo Support page to see how to transfer the service to a new TiVo.

You'll need to buy the Dual Tuner from a retail outlet so that it won't come with a service plan attached. And if you got a rebate on the old TiVo, there might be issues with transferring the service before a year has passed.

4. KLFLoyd

KLFLoyd New Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Florida
    THere was a rebate on the old TiVo, but it's been over 2 years since it was redeemed since the TiVo was mine for a year before I ended up giving it to my mom I know my one year obligation to maintain service as part of the rebate has been fulfilled.

I was planning on using my TiVo rewards points for the new Dual Tuner unit as I have enough points for one. I'll have to read the fine print for TiVo rewards and see if it truly is a free TiVo or if there are strings attached.

How exactly would I find out the point in time that I gave the TiVo to my mom and thus the 1 year clock started ticking? Would that be something I could call TiVo customer service and find out or is there an easier way?

5. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA

Advertisements

Go to Manage my account at Tivo.com. login and then click the "Name my DVR" link. The page that allows you to change the name shows the activation date.

6. maki

maki New Member

Oct 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    You can also look at View Billing History - choose a DVR and it shows "payment plan start date" and all previous payments.

7. KLFLoyd

KLFLoyd New Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, I was able to find out the TiVo was activated in January, I thought it would have been a little earlier but I guess not.

Either way, I called TiVo customer support and was told that if I ordered the TiVo through the Rewards program that it would basically be an unactivated TiVo Box, and I could transfer service from my mom's old box to the new box without any contract problems. Which makes sense, surely TiVo wouldn't mind people upgrading their boxes, they just want to make sure service continues.

Thanks for the help,