Contract or Not

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BeanMeScot, Aug 11, 2007.

1. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I am considering moving back to DTV from Comcast (no need to discuss the wonders of Comcast, I am only leaving because they refuse to offer me any kind of promotion). I have a Series 2 DTivo that I own. I will not be accepting their "free" DVR or HD Receiver (since it would include a 2 year committment). I will be reactivating the DTivo that I have and they will be providing a couple of other receivers for my other TVs. Will I be under a 2 year committment by doing this? When I cancel, I have no interest in keeping the receivers they provide but I would be keeping my DTivo

2. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    Well..

If they install a new dish or you accept any offer for receivers, you will probable have a new 2 yr committment on the new receivers as all new receivers are leased now correct?

3. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I already have a triple LNB dish from when I had DTV before. I will be getting two new receivers (just vanilla receivers, not HD or a DVR) from them but they can have them back when I cancel.

4. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    You'll have a one year commitment for the new boxes then.

5. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I actually already have a couple of receivers, too. The rep I was talking with seemed really keen to get me to take the ones they wanted to "give" me. What if I refuse anything but activating the service?

6. Da Goon

Oct 22, 2006
    If you just activate your current equipment, then there shouldn't be any commitment, unless you take a programming discount or free programming. That adds a year commitment also. But if you just take the programming at regular prices, you shouldn't get a new commitment.

7. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    In all likelyhood you'll wind up with leased equipment and at least a one year commitment no matter what equipment you ask to have used and/or hooked up.

An out for you, should you opt to leave early, is (if memory serves) that you could opt to suspend your account for part of that time and the minimum commitment is really just the Total Choice package.

But, most likely you'd be facing a commitment if you do go back to DirecTV. It really is a matter of how long a commitment you want to accept.

Getting a DVR or any type (again, if memory serves) is likely to incur a two year commitment. Possibly even if you use your own DVR.

Finally, if you do go back to DirecTV, be prepared to watch your bills like a hawk to confirm that they don't try to classify your own personally owned equipment as 'leased' and subject to being returned to them when your commitment is up (if you decide to leave).

--

Edited to add: by the way, the same basic thing would be the case if you opted to go with Dish Network, except you don't (by what I know so far) have any existing Dish Network equipment to use.

8. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a brochure that they mailed to me to get me to return to DTV. I have read the fine print. It says that you have a 1 year committment on regular receivers and 2 on advanced receivers (HD or DVR). There is no mention of any other committment for anything on the sheet (and the sheet is offering discounted service and free stuff for signing up). How can they apply a committment to service when it's not even in the fine print?

9. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    See bold faced section above. That would likely be considered an offer, which you'd be taking, entering into a contract in consideration of that offer, etc.

I'm just saying I'd would check it all over thoroughly as normally if you take advantage of promo pricing on programming, it'll come with a commitment.

10. lonewoolf47

lonewoolf47 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Denver, CO.
    Take it from me. I have experienced this new money cash register called "Commitment." If you "REACTIVATE" any Series 2 TiVo you will have a commitment. The prices can range from as low as $6.95 to $16.95 a month. This is why I went to DTV. Good luck

11. Da Goon

Oct 22, 2006
    The OP is talking about a Directv combo tivo already, not a Stand Alone S2.

12. Sheila4645

Sheila4645 Crazy Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2007
    Tell the CSR you want to reactivate your account and you do not need any equipment or installation. All of your account info and equipment info will still be on your disconnected account. It should then just be a matter of verifying the access card numbers, selecting your programing, and the CSR sending the authorization your your receiver, and verifying you are receiving your programing. The commitment is attached to equipment not programing.

13. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Don't you get a 2-yr commitment even by activating your existing DirecTivo? (It's 2 YR for activating a DVR, do they specify that it's activating a NEW DVR?)

14. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    The girl I talked with seem pretty determined to get me to get new receivers so I wonder if there is no committment on the DVR. Otherwise, why would she be so determined to make me get new receivers?

15. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    I think there's a push to get everyone new receivers so that the receivers will get interactive content and be guaranteed to tie into a phone line for ordering pay-per-views and such. DirecTV definitely pushes hard to install new receivers and get rid of old ones, even where the old ones work perfectly well.

I'd also guess that part of the push to install new is to cut down on problems with older receivers that can't receive programming from all of the satellites, or experience other glitches that wind up costing them money in tech support calls.

16. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    If you just reactivate you account, and use your current units, there should be no Commitment. You may need to get New Access Cards.

Where the problem lies, is in the fact that you probally had an older account, with packages no longer offered from Directv. SO you most probally will have to upgrade to a New Package type. Also, there may be some problems with the older units, as far as which Sats they can pick up etc, but by the sounds of it there should not be.

If you take any of their Standard Receivers - You will get a One year Commitment.
    Take any of their DVR's its a Two year Commitment.

17. Cabinwood

Cabinwood Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 11, 2000
    North Georgia
    Why don't you just put it up front to them that you will come back to DirecTV if there is no two year commitment. It can't hurt to try, all's they can say is no... Then wait a few days and see what they say. There's a thread on the Directv HD forum where someone said they got the commitment waived, so hopefully it is doable...

18. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I am going to have to call and see what they say. The girl didn't mention any kind of committment except if I took the new DVR (not even with the new receivers). I figure I will clarify it. My phone has a recording option and I was thinking I would record what she says and that way, they can't claim ignorance later.

19. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Make sure that if you do record the conversation, that you tell them you are doing so ahead of time. Its a felony in some states to record telephone traffic on the down low.

20. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I know this but I wasn't sure what the law was in GA. Also, the person is probably in a different state. Does it matter what state they are in?