Contract/Billing question.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Cynicize, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Cynicize

Cynicize New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    I just bought a TiVo HD...I'm not quite sure the whole cablecard thing will work how I want it to...does Tivo have something where you can cancel your contract in 30 days if you don't like it? Or it doesn't work? Basically I'd be taking it back if it doesn't do how I'm thinking. I have a Tivo Series 2 with Lifetime (the channel, and the subscription)..any help?

2. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    They offer the traditional 30-day money-back guarantee... if not satisfied, you can return it...

If you have problems, or it's not working exactly how you personally have planned, don't hesitate to ask for assistance in these forums, as there might be someone here able to help you achieve your goal...

Note the TiVo HD currently has a few issues with some who use Sci-Atl CC cards that TiVo is actively working on fixing... if your cable provider uses Motorola cards you should experience fewer problems, though you may experience slight occasional macroblocking on the HD channels if you watch them... if you watch primarily digital SD and analog SD, you may be fine... TiVo is actively working on these problems, and if they are unable to fix them, which is highly unlikely given their track record (I trust and expect TiVo will get these issues resolved), then it would fall under the warranty, thus giving you more than 30 days to wait on a fix if you're affected by any of these issues... it's just among those typical "growing pains" experienced with new products in the technology industry...

If you want to initially use your TiVo HD for just analog cable, then you won't have to get CCs, thus not having to worry about these CC issues, at least for now...

Don't hesitate to ask for help or send me a PM if you have additional questions or concerns...

3. Cynicize

Cynicize New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Basically, I typically just watch/record the "analog" channels (3-60+) , and get a wrestling PPV each month (I know I have to call it in to order...I'm fine with that.) I don't usually record anything in the 100+ range, although, of course I'd like to record the HD channels occasionally.

The "known issues" with the Sci-Atl cards kinda worries me. I have Cox Cable, who...as I'm looking at it right now...uses Sci-Atl cable boxes. I can't remember which brand cable cards they use...

Also, the 30 day guarantee...I have the same thing with Best Buy, which is where I got it...just wanted to make sure I could cancel the contract within 30 days...because if it works, I have zero problem paying off 3 years. I love Tivo....have had it for about 5-ish years (some sporadic non-usage...but not much).

4. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    Then it sounds like you'll be able to use it for what you want to use it for...

You don't have to use it with CCs if you don't want to get and pay for the CCs... you can just hook up an ATSC antenna and pull your local HD channels out of the air, as long as you don't live too far from your local broadcast towers... you can use it with analog cable, ATSC antenna, and CCs (for digital and HD) all at once; you won't have to choose one source or the other... or you can use just analog cable, or analog with ATSC, or any combination of the three...

You don't even need an HDTV, and the HD broadcasts look much better than their analog cable equivalents, even on a standard-definition TV...

If you don't yet have HDTV, then with a TiVo HD, you're ready for when you do, whenever that may be...

Cox Cable users may be having the Sci-Atl issues, but it seems mostly those with Cablevision that are reporting it... but again, if you have no plans to use CCs, it'll probably be a non-issue for you, and something that TiVo will probably have cleared up before too long anyway... they've already provided an update fixing this issue for many users who had this problem, and are currently working with others who still have the problem to provide a fix for them as well...

5. Cynicize

Cynicize New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Awesome. Thanks for the info/help. One last question though...if I hook this thing up with just OTA stuff...then switch to CableCards, or vice versa, is it a relativley seamless transition (minus of course the work of getting the CableCards to activate and stuff...I just wonder...

6. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    Pretty seamless... just be sure to run Guided Setup again after installing the CCs to have the additional cable digital/HD channels added to the guide and list of available channels...

If you continue to use the ATSC antenna, you then would have the option of choosing the cable HD channel or the ATSC channel for the same local programs... the ATSC channels will have a "-1"; e.g., 11-1...

The one advantage to this is if your cable system is ever down, you could then watch your local HD channels via the antenna...