continuous reboot...new drives should solve it correct?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsposter, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1 of 15
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    it's been rebooting about once a week and now is continually...i know the instructions are around here somewhere but just wanted to confirm new drives should solve this (mfstools if memory serves me correctly)...gets to the 'few min more' screen then reboots

i put in 2 160s years ago...would like to just buy one new drive but from what i recall combining isnt possible..or is difficult?

i have no issue spending 75 for the 2 drives from newegg, just wanna make sure i'm on the right track

even if i had the PP, i dont wanna give up the hdtivo :)

2. Oct 6, 2011 #2 of 15
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Well, it might be the drives, or might be the power supply. If the drives you have contain errors, trying to merge the drives isn't likely to be successful (and it's rather difficult.) If you don't care about recorded programs, it may be easier.

3. Oct 6, 2011 #3 of 15
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i do want the programs and to retrieve over 100 passes....i guess i gotta get 2 new drives and copy them to see if that fixes it

4. Oct 6, 2011 #4 of 15
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It can certainly be done, but it is probably easier to start from scratch. If it is a bad drive, you have a 50/50 chance the bad drive is the secondary drive. You could copy the primary drive to a new, larger drive easily, put the new drive into the TiVo, and then divorce the secondary drive. If the system boots and runs properly, you've solved the issue, and you can go on to expanding the primary drive into the new drive.

5. Oct 6, 2011 #5 of 15
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    but wouldnt that delete the stuff on the 2nd drive?

6. Oct 7, 2011 #6 of 15
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It would delete all your recordings - not just "those on the second drive".

7. Oct 7, 2011 #7 of 15
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    well if i am to fix this saving programs is critical

i wonder if i can copy the 160 gig to the 640 gig extra drive i have available to me or when you copy must they be the same size? i was gonna just try to to that over the weekend as a 'free' fix. then if it does work i can buy the same size drive cheaper and put that in

8. Oct 7, 2011 #8 of 15
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, not as long as you don't boot the TiVo with the old primary drive and the secondary drive in it. The recordings would be gone as far as the *NEW* drive is concerned, but putting both the old drives back in the Tivo would bring them back.

9. Oct 7, 2011 #9 of 15
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, it won't. Please re-read what I said. I did not say he should attach either old drive to the TiVo. Just attach the clone primary and run the divorce procedure on it, not the old drives.

What's more, not all the recordings will necessarily be deleted by diivorcing a secondary drive. Any recorded before the marriage will definitely still be there, and some recorded after the marriage may still be there. It is certainly possible all recordings might be lost, but not definite.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    OK, but I think your best approach is to first figure out what is actually bad. Copying over the primary drive to a new drive will allow you to do that.

Yes. The new drive can be larger. It cannot be smaller if you want to retain any recordings.

Yes, and there are other options, as well. Finding out if it is one of the drives or not is the first step, though. If it is not, then it is probably the power supply, and you don't necessarily have to worry about the drives one way or the other. If it is one of the drives, then figuring out which one is the next step.

11. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
  12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I just now saw this post.

What is the model of the TiVo in which you have these 2 160s, and what's the model number of the drives?

13. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    just wanted to do a general update to this thread. i took this tivo failure as a sign that it's time for a change. I'm living with my new premiere and OTA for a week then likely will cancel my directv. i still do want to try to recover my recordings since i know you can watch them after the box is turned off, but that wont be in the very near future unfortunately. but i will update when i attempt to do it

they are WD hard drives and if it's p/s, well, that would stink too, but i remember this happening a long time ago and bet it's the drive.

if the new tivo was out and IF it had 4 tuners like the other new directv receiver, i maaaay have stayed, but probably not. but maybe :) i'm gonna try the new premiere out for a while and see how i can do, so far so good.

14. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    One anecdotal incident does not predict an outcome. It was raining when I stepped outside today; does that mean it will be raining on the next 4th of July? Or does it just mean that it could be raining on any day, or not? Or does it really not mean much of anything in predicting rain? Having a bad HDD is about as predictive as whether the next coin flip will be heads or tails based on what the last flip was.

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I got a nickel says a new capacitor or two fixes it right up.