Contemplating dropping TIVO

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Randman, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Randman

Randman New Member

Oct 21, 2002

Advertisements

I've loved Tivo for many years. Still love it. However, it's just getting a bit pricey for me. I have two units, so I have to pay Tivo for each. Then, I have to rent cable cards and tuning adapters from Brighthouse. Then, I don't even get all the available features from my cable, because I don't have a box. Plus, I have to fight with them to keep specials, because of the lack of a box.

I recently stayed at a friends house, who has the Brighthouse DVR, and I was surprized how much better it has gotten. It worked well, seemed to record easily, and wasn't the horrible interface that I remember.

So, I'm trying to come up with a reason that I should continue to pay Tivo and Brighthouse extra each month, for less service. I'm thinking about selling my Tivo units and going with Brighthouse.

Talk me out of it, folks. I'm not seeing it.

--Randy

2. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Nope. I won't do it.

If the cable co. DVR does what you want and cheaper, go for it.

Wouldn't work for my needs but everyone is different.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Tivo with lifetime would have put you in a better place. Larger upfront, but quick payoff.

You may call tivo to tell them you are cancelling and see if you can get the 99 lifetime deal that has been offered.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The reality is that if all you want/need is a basic DVR and have one of the cable companies that are not so friendly to TiVo users (which Brighthouse is one of), it may not be worth it to continue with TiVo.

Unfortunately a used TiVo without lifetime isn't worth much and might not even be worth your time to sell.

Good Luck,

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...

Advertisements

Lifetime service may have been a better choice at the outset. It's still an option.

A short list from my perspective:

1. Wishlists
    2. Suggestions
    3. Kmttg*
    4. TyTool*
    5. MFS_FTP*
    6. pyTivo
    7. Vidmgr
    8. Galleon
    9. TiVo Jukebox
    10. TiVoWebPlus*
    11. Search engines (especialy search by title) with filters

A few items about which I care little but others like:

1. Netflix / Amazon / other VOD
    2. MRV*
    3. Podcasts
    4. Caller ID*
    5. KidZone
    6. StreamBaby

* - requires a modified TiVo on Brighthouse

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I know it's expensive up front, but an Elite will save you money in the long run. It's a single TiVo with 4 tuners which carries the same service fee as any other TiVo, so you could cut your TiVo service fees in half. It also uses a single cable card and single tuning adapter for all 4 tuners, so you can cut down on the rental fees there.

It wont fix your lack of VOD, but maybe with the savings you could rent a regular box and put it in place of whatever TiVo you're going to get rid of. Then you no longer have to fight to keep deals and when you want to watch VOD you can just switch over to the box and use it for VOD.

Dan

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    He's on Brighthouse. On Brighthouse, an Elite is not much more than a brick, certainly for my purposes. Note four of the eleven items I list as reasons not to abandon a TiVo are unavailable on an Elite, plus two of the others are badly crippled. Two of the six others are also unavailable on an Elite. An Elite would be of almost no use whatsoever in my household, as is the case for many households that demand TTG, MRV, or the rest. The fact it has four tuners is of little interest. I have no particular need for a box with four tuners.

8. westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    If the company DVR truly does everything you use your Tivo for, and does it well... then it's simply economics that should drive your decision.

Be sure there aren't any hidden fees that'll be imposed by Brighthouse. I know with Comcast, their HD DVR costs more per month than a Tivo (at least in my area).

9. hc130radio

hc130radio Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Rockwall TX
    My series 2 has paid for itself for many years now. I bought it new and a few months later after a test drive paid for the lifetime. That was 8yrs ago. I don't care about all the gucci features except for it recording what I want and going back realtime 30 minutes. Thats it! I can't ask for anything more. It's wonderful.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That is quite specious. It presumes the individual is fully aware of all the features of the devices in question and makes full use of those which are of interest. It is my experience this is not very often the case, especially with the TiVo. "Economics" is also not as cut-and-dried as you make it sound. Buying Product Lifetime Service, for example, is a gamble. It is generally predicated on the assumption the TiVo will last long enough to make the purchase cost minus any resale recovery lower than the cost of monthly service. If the unit is destroyed in a flood after 8 months, there goes that investment.

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can't blame TiVo for your failure to buy flood insurance.

But that does raise the question of how to insure TiVos against various physical calamities, like being stolen or fire-damaged, or lightning-zapped, in such a way that the cost of replacing it with a lifetimed unit is covered.

12. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I had to move from TiVo to cable DVR because our cable company does NOT issue cablecards, and they went all encrypted digital. That's right, no clear QAM. (It's legal - Canada. The FCC gives you a lot of rights that we don't have because our regulators are controlled by the media companies)

I miss my TiVo. Damn cable DVR can't do season passes properly. It either records EVERYTHING, or you have to manually pick each and every episode to record.

It lacks intelligence to reschedule recordings, nevermind conflict resolution moves. Hell, after a power outage, it forgets everything.

The best way for me is to grab the To Do list from TiVo and manually set each and every recording. Horrible. Stupid.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's not the point. I'm not suggesting any blame is due for anything, merely that while PLS holds the promise of being more economical over the long haul, there is no guarantee that promise will be kept.

The deductable on the flood insurance is probably higher than the cost of PLS, by the way.

Which serves to prove my original point. The cost of premiums to mitigate such a loss eats into the benefit of getting the unit replaced, and merely adds to the cost if the unit is never replaced. It's a gamble either way.

14. subarr

subarr New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Georgia
    According to my (major) insurance company, the service is not insurable. After a lightning strike/fire, I was only able to recoup the replacement cost of a new TiVo box, not the replacement cost of the lifetime service.

I'd guess most other insurance companies feel the same...

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That is where an extended warranty is needed. certain things like, a lightning strike and power surge are covered by some of the extended warranties.

16. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I might be dropping tivo soon. I tired of having to unplug my tuning adaptor every week so the gc file will delete itself. Dont know why tivo does not fix this.
    Going to get me a 4 tuner ceton and a 3 tb drive for my desktop computer.

17. duftopia

duftopia New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say keep 1 tivo, multi-card it, tivo desktop to your home computer (laptop would be ideal) and use your home computer as a second TIVO - You can also find a TIVO software that roxio makes to MAKE your computer a Tivo (unfortunately everything roxio makes remains in beta for its lifespan).

You won't miss the bugs, you won't miss the incompatabilities BUT it is the best DVR system out there short of a home media pc which (unless running under unix) has more bugs then an ant farm.

Just surrender! like me your addicted, get a roku and go to rehab.

18. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    All these kinds of threads make me quite happy I just have lifeline cable (just locals with HD) with one CC (free from Comcast) on my TiVoHD at a retention rate of $6.95 a month (from years ago).

I know even with that low price I have gone well beyond the LT cost from back when I purchased ($199 IIRC), but $6.95 is easy. And with lifeline there's no need for DTAs or any other rental equipment from Comcast other than the CC.

One question regarding VOD.....

Can't you still get it by calling in to the CableCo and requesting it? Then you just tune to 001 or whatever are the normally reserved channels for VOD????

19. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I somewhat agree. In my opinion it's good to diversify services whether it be gas, electric, phone, cable, or internet. The primary reason is that if one service stops working you don't loose everything associated with it. With the TiVo for instance using a non cable supplied box allows me to watch and manage my shows even if the cable service goes down, or I if chose to discontinue service. For that reason alone I would never rely on a cable DVR. Other reasons for me include the loss of key features like MRV, TTG, and TTGB. Strangely enough losing those features has prevented me from upgrading my TiVos as well; that and the new pricing structure for monthly service. TiVo is not worth 20.00 a month to me for a single box.

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What does your level of service have to do with whether you need anything other than a CableCARD?

No. Just because you access the VOD menu via channel 1 doesn't mean that the actual programming comes over channel 1. Think about it. It couldn't work.

PPV - possibly but VOD - no.