Constantly rebooting TiVo (Cablevision)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mbernste, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Dec 31, 2006 #1 of 121
    mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ

Advertisements

I've seen the various threads where people report their TiVo is rebooting due to the TiVo losing a lock on the channels. Mine seems to be in some kind of reboot loop. At first the TiVo would very rarely reboot and it slowly got more frequent. I tried guided setup, popped out/in the cable cards and have had both cards swapped out and authorized by Cablevision of Piscataway (Raritan system). I had a brief power outage tonight (5 seconds) and for the last 45 minutes my TiVo has been rebooting. In one instance it didn't even get past the "dancing TiVo" when it rebooted again. I'e had the TiVo since late October.

Anyone here think that maybe the hard drive is bad and I may have a dying/dead TiVo on my hands? I'm guessing the only thing I can do is RMA it, but I am concerned that I might lose my lifetime subscription if I have to send it in.

Any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: After about an hours worth of reboots, it finally stopped rebooting and all channels on both tuners seem to be working. After having about 4 cable cards swapped out, I don't think its that (yeah, I've seen the threads were people had to go through like a stack of cards).

2. Dec 31, 2006 #2 of 121
    knitsafghans

knitsafghans New Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Interesting - our Series 3 rebooted 3 times tonight - a record.

Think it's Cablevision?

3. Dec 31, 2006 #3 of 121
    mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    To be honest, at this point I really don't know what to think. I'm just getting tired of the spontaneous reboots.

4. Dec 31, 2006 #4 of 121
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Guys....I've seen somewhere around here where someone came up with something to stop this. But God knows where it is. I don't have to tell the OP to run a search, I'm sure he did but there is so many threads on this issue.

Sorry, not very helpful but I am sympathetic on this one.

5. Dec 31, 2006 #5 of 121
    mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ

Advertisements

If you're talking about going through guided setup as well as taking one card out, do GS, then take the other card out and do the same...Been there, done that (saw that post).

6. Dec 31, 2006 #6 of 121
    knitsafghans

knitsafghans New Member

Dec 20, 2006
    chiming in - me too!

7. Jan 2, 2007 #7 of 121
    NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    I just restarted mine tonight and it's in a reboot loop. This hasnt happened before... it's still doing it now.

I did a Guided setup (did not take out cablecards) and it's working now.

I hope this isnt the start of something bad.

8. Jan 2, 2007 #8 of 121
    mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had the reboot loop last night also and did the guided setup. Hopefully it will stay. It look a long time on "preparing" when it went to start doing its first download in guided setup. What troubles me is that if others here are having the same problem, it might be Cablevision. Since CV is anti-TiVo since its the competition, they won't do anything to fix it and there's not much TiVo can do.

9. Jan 2, 2007 #9 of 121
    PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006
    Well, Cablevision better wake the heck UP. We are about to be offered Verizon/VIOS any week now, here in Monmough County. My development was wired underground in July. (all our utilities are underground). Competition may make Cablevision give us better service.

That said, my Tivo has never re-booted, as far as I know. I was going to reboot it myself, to see if it helped the gray channels when seleting from the menu problem. But, I am nervous to mess with something that is not that bad. And worried I will trigger the non stop reboots or something.

10. Jan 2, 2007 #10 of 121
    NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    Mine was stuck on preparing for a long time too.

Maybe Cablevision had a problem, since it seemed to be happening for a number of us around the same time.

*shrug*

11. Jan 2, 2007 #11 of 121
    xc04

xc04 New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I have been a long-time lurker on these forums, but I feel I should share my experience...

i purchased my first S3 at CC. Cox came and installed 2 CableCards (PowerKey models), and it worked impeccably... Until 8.0.1C came out. At that point, it started the endless reboot cycle. I first tried all the tips from the forums (taking out CC's, putting them back in, re-running setup as antenna, etc), and all remedied the problem for about a day. I called Tivo and was told that it was due to fauly CableCards. I than spoke to a supervisor, who really didn't help either (or even offer to exchange my unit).

I exchanged the unit at CC and got a new one. I made sure it downloaded 8.0.1C before Cox cable to install 2 new CableCards. The new unit would not endlessly reboot; but instead, would constantly freeze on its own (the time wouldn't change), or would freeze the user interface when a button was pressed (so far, both the Tivo button and delete button has done it). I have also gotten some type of weird pixelization/flashing using the HDMI cable from time to time, which is remedied by changing the input out of HDMI and back again.

Meanwhile, I have another S3 that was purchased before this started happening but arrived after. This unit was purchased elsewhere. Again, it downloaded the new software before Cox installed 2 new CableCards. Again, all the same things happened. Freezing, HDMI problems, etc.

I can surmise that the problem is not with defective cable cards (there have been 6 total) and the issue is probably with the units themselves; as I have had the same problem on 3 units. This might not necessarily be hardware related; perhaps it could be fixed by a software update.

My solution: I wrote a letter to Tom Rogers, CEO & President of Tivo. I copied the letter to the CEOs of the retailers I purchased my units from. I asked that either the problems be fixed via software update, or to provide me with new (not refurbished) units in person at CES next week. I also included copies of several S3 polls taken here on the site, where many people (but certainly not the majority) reported the same problems.

I highly recommend anyone experiencing similar problems to do the same thing. If upper-management is not aware of the problem, the solution will not be expedited. I will report the response when I receive it.

12. Jan 2, 2007 #12 of 121
    zibbler

zibbler New Member

Feb 14, 2004
    Recently, my tivo get into a state such that it would be on the initial powering up screen for a normal length of time and then reboot before getting anything farther. About about an hour of this and taking out the cablecards, I called tivo and they're sending me a replacement.

13. Jan 2, 2007 #13 of 121
    mdl_77

mdl_77 New Member

Nov 10, 2006
    I've had this issue 4 or 5 times in the last few weeks. And I've got Time Warner Cable, so it seems to me that this is a TiVo problem.

While I love the S3, this problem along with 1 bad unit , cablecard install issues (granted TWC's fault), and the high price makes it impossible to recommend this thing to anyone.

14. Jan 3, 2007 #14 of 121
    matt8268

matt8268 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    I've got Cox in San Diego and am today seeing the infinite reboot problem (I've had my S3 a couple months now). So it's not limited to a specific cable provider, as there are 3 mentioned in this thread alone. I will write Tivo.

15. Jan 3, 2007 #15 of 121
    LargoFloridaBHN

LargoFloridaBHN New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Over the years, I have owned and loved TiVo Series1 and then Series2 DVRs. But when HD became available in my area from Bright House Networks, I signed up for two Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVRs (at $10.00 each per month) and was BLOWN AWAY with the HD picture quality. But alas the user interface experience didn't even come close to TiVo. So I eagerly awaited the TiVo Series3.

When my new Series3 arrived on Dec 25 and got its 2 PowerKEY Modules installed on Dec 28, I was stoked! In my rack, I now have 1 TiVo Series2, 1 TiVo Series3, and 1 Scientific Atlanta 8300HD... all connected to a Denon AVR-4306 switch (using non-HDMI interfaces).

So far, I have seen many flakey things with the Series3, including the random reboots and lack of responsiveness to remote control button-presses, as well as brief audio drop-outs when bringing up the program guide. Just tonight I had a situation where 2 tuners were recording and the remote control was totally unresponsive; even the TiVo button on the front panel did nothing (other than lighting an orange colored LED for each button press).

What's up with this firmware? And don't even let me get started on the features my Series2 has but not my Series3.... And I am certainly not interested to hear any DRM-based excuses due to HD support. (Hackers have already cracked Blue Ray.)

Because some of the TVs in my house are 4:3 while the big TV in the living room is 16:9, I have come to really appreciate the way the Scientific Atlanta box provides separate resolution outputs for the component/HDMI and the composite/s-video jacks so that all my TV displays present an attractive aspect ratio picture.

For $800, I sure hope the Series3 was "overdesigned" so it has the hardware capability to output two different video aspects, depending on whether it is talking to a SD or HD style interface. Therefore I yearn for the next Series3 firmware update that will unlock all the goodness I expect from this latest and greatest TiVo model. And I hope with all my heart that the slowness of response and occasional reboot insanity will go away just as soon as release D, or E, or F, ... comes along, and soon, because sadly I am not ruling out the possibility of returning this not-ready-for-prime-time appliance to the store from whence it came.

16. Jan 3, 2007 #16 of 121
    matt8268

matt8268 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    I was able to fix my problem by following the steps others have posted on this forum. For me, here is what worked:

The problem: Tivo reboots whenever it tries to display something from the CableCard. Sometimes this means rebooting right away, sometimes it means booting up to the Tivo menu, but as soon as it times out to (a cable card) channel, or I manually select a cable card channel, it reboots.

The solution:

1. Power off unit
    2. Remove cable cards
    3. Power on unit, complete setup with "Antenna Only" option
    4. Power off unit
    5. Insert both cable cards
    6. Power on unit, complete setup with "Cable and Antenna" option.

17. Jan 3, 2007 #17 of 121
    SystemJinx

SystemJinx (o_0)

Aug 13, 2005
    North of...
    My S3 was also stuck in a reboot cycle after an extended power failure. After the third time, I just unplugged it and left it for about 6 hours. When I plugged it back in it booted up with no problems. I didn't need to unplug the cable cards or rerun the guided setup. My cable provider is Comcast in Washington State.

18. Jan 3, 2007 #18 of 121
    TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    I had the same problem during the storm but it was only for the duration of my cable outage (my power never went out). Cablecards don't like it when your digital cable is out and once you do the initial reboot they will continue to reboot the Tivo until they find a signal or you take the cablecards out.

19. Jan 7, 2007 #19 of 121
    ghbrown

ghbrown New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    My problem: Tivo randomly rebooted when playing a recording. When attempting a reset, Tivo then looped - rebooting 15-30 seconds after the Tivo main menu appeared..

Matt8268's solution (#16) also fixed this problem. (Thanks Matt!)

My antenna signal strength is low on some channels (70-75) which has caused problems in recording -- My cable may have gone out (high winds in LA). Tivo doesn't appear to recover well from bad signals.

(Also - I have Time Warner - not Cablevision)

20. Jan 7, 2007 #20 of 121
    mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, my TiVo would spontaneously reboot when it was in standby mode. It would be completely "off" (eg nothing on the front panel), I would look up to see all the lights come on and/or "Ready, Set TiVo!" followed by the lovely reboot loop.

As an update to my original posting. I have since RMAed the TiVo and should be expecting a replacement within a week or two. Both of my well labeled cable cards (each in their own envelop labeled with the slot and serial number) are patiently waiting for their "friend" to come back.

Should the reboot cycle resurface with a new unit, I will have to say its a cable card or Cablevision issue. I do understand that there is a likelihood that the replacement TiVo could have the same issue (ie if its a software problem). If it does happen, I'll call Cablevision again and have them come out with a small stack of cards and see what happens. When I did have tuning issues, it seemed to be with card 2, so we'll see what happens. FWIW, my signal levels are excellent, so I know that's not the problem.

All I can say is it pays to have a backup. I moved my SA 4200HD box from my other HDTV along with my Series 2 dual tuner, so at least I'm not TiVOless nor dual tunerless, so it could be a lot worse. I do have to say, using a TiVo in which I am not in fear of a reboot every time I press a button on my remote is a nice thing to experience.