Constant problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by joenspa, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Nov 5, 2015 #1 of 29
    joenspa

joenspa New Member

Nov 5, 2015

Advertisements

I bought the separate Tivo Stream so I could stream or if necessary download TV programs while away from home. Both in the US and outside the US but I constantly have issues where it quite working and I have to go back home to make it work.
    For example I live near Atlanta, GA and am currently in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. When I first got to my hotel I could stream shows from the wifi connection. I watch 2 or 3 over the course of a week. Then I went to watch a show and it told me it couldn't stream and I had to download it. So I did. Then about a week later I went to watch something else and it got "Problem with streaming device. There was a problem connecting to your streaming device." I try "Fix Now" and I get the "Problem Streaming . . . . make sure I have already set it up while on my home network. May be a problem with my current network. Please try again later." This happen every time I leave the country and usually when I am still in the States. When I get home it works fine. Hare to sound like a whiner but I am thinking this product is a joke that isn't even close to reliable. Has anyone ever used this thing over a period of time and had it work? Is there something I should be doing to my home network? Please help. I have to live in Rio for 6 months next year and that's a lot of Portuguese television if I can't get this to work. Thanks!

2. Nov 6, 2015 #2 of 29
    JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    It seems kind of unreliable to me. I also have problem when I'm watching a show and I do the 30 second skip and it skips backwards. The only way to fix is to exit out of the program and start it up again and then 30 second skip will skip forward correctly once again and after so long, fail yet again.

I don't want to say it, but maybe the best bet is going the Slingbox Route. using a Slingbox plugged into a Tivo Mini and a set of the correct cables, you can control and stream your Tivo Content that way much more reliably. SlingBox has been around streaming content like this for many years.

It's more money, but for reliability being away for 6 months, this may be the way to go, and use the Tivo Online as a backup, or the Slingbox setup as a backup. Either way you can get on your Tivo so you're not stuck watching the local channels.

3. Nov 6, 2015 #3 of 29
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's been pretty unreliable out of home for most of us. In home it works good most of the time, and when it fails you can reboots it to get it working again. But out of home if it fails and doesn't reboot on it's own you're kind of SOL.

Some people claim to have better luck with Slingbox, but personally I've owned two and both died in less then a year. Their service may be a bit more reliable, but the hardware has been.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #4 of 29
    Blakeintosh

Blakeintosh Active Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Dan,

I'm really surprised to hear about your Slingbox hardware issues. I have a Pro-HD and a 500, neither of them having any direct hardware issues. I did have a power adapter fail on the Pro-HD, but I've heard that was common with the Pro-HD's. Sling replaced the power adapter at no charge.

The Slingboxes have been far more reliable for OOH streaming than my built-in TiVo Stream. The one drawback is the long latency when sending remote control commands. There is a rumor that Slingbox might re-introduce a tuner model, like what the Pro-HD had. I would love to see blend of the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime CableCard tuner with the streaming reliability of the Slingbox.

5. Nov 7, 2015 #5 of 29
    Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC

Advertisements

OOH streaming is a joke. They really need to get their act together to make it more stable and that damn proxy isn't helping it a single bit.

6. Nov 7, 2015 #6 of 29
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Got 2 sling 350s connected to our Dish receivers. We use the SlingPlayer apps on wdtv and Roku connected to tvs to watch our Dish receivers in Oklahoma while at our Condo in Vegas. They have been bulletproof for several years now. Especially in last year since we went from 50/5 Cox internet to 100/10. The picture through the sling is very good on a 60in led.

We added a stream to our Tivo in Oklahoma but with no easy way to watch on TV in Vegas it is rarely used. I'll use it to catch the Oklahoma news occasionally on iPad. Ended up with another Tivo for locals in Vegas and use the Sling when we want to watch something from Dish. Tivo stream has been a bust for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

7. Nov 7, 2015 #7 of 29
    joenspa

joenspa New Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On the outside chance it would help I had my wife reboot the Tivo Stream. It worked! Everything worked fine after that. I'll see how my last week goes. If it goes out a again, judging by everything I have read they seem to need this reboot occasionally. I am thinking I could get a timer like I use for my lights and plug it into that. Then every night at 3am or something it would power down and then power back up 30 minutes later, or something like that. Maybe Tivo should include this with the Stream. :)

8. Nov 7, 2015 #8 of 29
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you have a way to log in to your local network remotely, like via remote desktop or similar, then there is a system information page you can log into on the Stream and force a reboot.

9. Nov 7, 2015 #9 of 29
    Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    How do you do this? I have teamviewer installed.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Go to....

http://<stream ip>:49152/sysinfo

in a web browser.

11. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    Thanks Dan. I wonder if there's another way by logging into the router and disabling the IP or something along those lines to force the stream to reconnect...

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you really want to get crazy you could use port forwarding and a dynamic DNS system to access that page remotely without needing to use teamviewer. But that's the only way to reboot the unit without physically unplugging it.

13. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    I have dynamic dns setup. Not sure how to setup the forwarding on the verizon router to access the internal IP and port from the outside.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Ever router is different. But in most cases you pick an internal IP and a port number and point it to an external port number.

So in this case you'd use the Stream IP and port 49152 and then point it to an external port. 80 is the default for websites, so if you point it to that then when you type the dynamic DNS address into a browser it will just show the stream page. If you use another port then you just put :xxx, where xxx is the port you chose, after the dynamic DNS address like so....

http://mypage.dyndns.org:81

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    FYI, for whatever reason, trying to access Stream sysinfo page from WAN side (with port forwarding set up in your router) does NOT work. At one point it used to, but not anymore. I just get a blank page in browser (both IE and Firefox that I tried). So what I end up doing is I reboot my Roamio Pro via kmttg to effectively reboot the built in stream. For that to work you need to port forward RPC port.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I remember doing a port scan on the Stream at one point and there were actually two ports it was using. (49151 & 49152) I wonder if both have to be open on the WAN for it to work? (and maybe be the same port numbers to cover hard coded ports in the code)

17. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    Thanks, might be a security risk if anyone could access it?

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not sure what they could do. The options on that page are pretty limited.

19. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    This is probably atypical but I can't get the stream to download a complete show on my lan without having to manually restart it several times. Some shows will never complete like movies from HBO. Ironically when I travel download works ok. Usually only takes 2 times to complete a show.

This is just crap. Stream has been out for over 2 years and if anything has gotten worse. I really like the download aspect or I would just get a slingbox. Very frustrated.

Any tips for getting downloads on lan to work? It is almost like the stream locks up and won't allow a connection for a couple of minutes. Happens over and over. Since the iPad screen goes off, the download won't continue until I restart it manually.

I am using an ipad2. Wondering if that is part of the problem. Also stream is built in to Roamio

20. fred-vo

fred-vo Fred-vo

Jan 30, 2004
    Ohio
    I've had various TiVo's since 2001. I have had no problems with ANY of them, including the Roamio OTA that I've had since mid-2014.

Been using a TiVo Stream with my Roamio since fall 2014, to watch TiVo shows in another room on an iPhone, an iPad 2 Air and an iPad Pro.

Streaming sucks on all of my i devices above.

Same problem as described by several members above - irregularly (but usually averages about every 5 minutes), the image and sound "freeze", followed a few seconds later by the appearance of the word "Buffering" superimposed over the frozen image. Once in a great while, the buffering word disappears and the playback resumes. But, most of time, the word "Buffering" stays displayed until the popup message appears saying "Problem Streaming There is a problem streaming this show....." and listing the three choices someone earlier described.

I've tried doing all kinds of remedies, but to no avail. Sometimes I reboot my iPhone/Pad, sometimes I take the choice "Try again". Sometimes I've taken the "Download Now" option. Download NEVER completes. Nothing reliably solves the problem for more than a few minutes.

I can watch videos through Amazon Prime's video app service. It NEVER fails.

I do not know what action would remedy this situation.

I wish I could connect my iPhone/Pad hard wire to my TiVo, but I am not aware that a hard-wired connection can be made to those devices.

TiVo Stream is an unreliable product. Useless. PERIOD.