Conspiracy Theory

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Citivas, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1 of 19
    Citivas

Citivas Old Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Cranbury,...

Advertisements

Has anyone brought up the possibility that DirecTV is intentionally undermining the DirecTiVo's as a way to push people to their H20's? We all know they haven't supported it well, etc. But the coincidences of timing seem pretty convenient to me.

1) They lock out any ability to get the tiVo software upgrades everyone else has had for a couple years.

2) They steadfastly refuse to provide meaningful update themselves.

3) They launch their competing player.

4) Suddenly the FORCE an significant upgrade that seems to be incredibly buggy and cause many people endless grief, to replace a the old code that while dated was stable. Why upgrade the box at all this far down the road -- they refused to do it when it was the only HD DVR solution and now they're going to invest time and money putting out an upgrade in good faith only after they have released the box they hope discontinues the one they are upgrading? Yeah, right.

5) A lot of people are experiencing forced re-boots, with or without 6.3, but oddly at similar times. I have experienced the around 10:30pm reboot for the last two days running and I am not on 6.3 yet. I have had hard drives go bad before, but I have never experienced regular forced reboots and certainly not with a coincidence of similar daily timing -- conveniently during prime time.

I don't trust D* so I wouldn't put anything past them. They used to be great 10 years ago, even 5...

2. Oct 4, 2006 #2 of 19
    cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Yes. Dozens of times. And since nobody searches before posting, no doubt it will happen again. Dozens of times.

3. Oct 5, 2006 #3 of 19
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    And then again...
    TiVo must be in on it.... sicne they write the software for the HR10

4. Oct 5, 2006 #4 of 19
    bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Yeah, people have brought it up. However, no matter how "evil" some may believe D* to be, intentionally borking customers' equipment is not a smart move. It increases support costs, and many of the upset customers are as likely to consider other providers as they are to immediately upgrade to the newer equipment.

Why 6.3 now? The more people that are currently happy with the HDTivo, the fewer swapouts/upgrades they need to do right away...while they are still ramping up production of the HR20 and working out its own bugs.

As Earl has pointed out, Tivo writes the software...and I don't think they're making it buggy on purpose. More likely they are busy fighting their own S3 bugs, and the resources available to the D* box are limited and not the highest priority.

I'm not a D* apologist, BTW. I don't at all like the fact that there won't be a Tivo mpeg4 box, and I think that they should have provided the 6.x upgrade long before now. I just don't smell conspiracy here.

5. Oct 5, 2006 #5 of 19
    esayre

esayre New Member

Apr 29, 2002

Advertisements

Come on - just think this one through for a minute.

There isn't a conspiracy.

Can you image the bad press the D* would get about how they treated customers?

Problem with conspiracies is that more than one person is involved and it only takes one person to talk to bring it all down.

6. Oct 5, 2006 #6 of 19
    mx6bfast

mx6bfast Cake or Death

Jan 2, 2004
    Bartlett, TN
    Like the one about the guy who is suing D* for their HD pq? :)

7. Oct 5, 2006 #7 of 19
    cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Indeed.

Good rule of thumb: never attribute to conspiracy or evil what you can attribute to general incompetence. This applies to government as well as corporate hose-ups.

8. Oct 5, 2006 #8 of 19
    Citivas

Citivas Old Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Cranbury,...
    For the record, I wasn't totally serious.

Rule of thumb: Someone who really believes in a conspiracy probably wouldn't label their post "conspiracy theory." That is not the say I am not disappointed with D* lately and not a bit puzzled by the timing and problems. But I don't believe there was an "evil plan" behind it...

But I didn't know TiVo was still doing the fotware for them at this stage. Though if I wanted to hold on to my "conspiracy theory" I would justify that by saying that TiVo, knowing D* was going to push them out of their market, wanted to push people to switch to Cable and use their Series 3 so they had an incentive to screw it up too, even if not in collusion with D*... no need for a serious response to that though...

Thanks.

9. Oct 6, 2006 #9 of 19
    leesweet

leesweet TC Special Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Northern VA...
    Wouldn't it be 'better' for D* to just ignore us the way they have been for the last 3 years (?)? :) I think getting this release is wonderful; the lack of speed and folders are the two things that have made me want to throw the HR10s against the wall.

(I know you were joking... as Robert Heinlein said (but some sources say Hanlon or Bonaparte were the original sources...), and was semi-quoted above: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" and its variations:
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_J._Hanlon )

It's much more likely that D* is/was stupid than plotting at this depth. :D

10. harley3k

harley3k New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I would be more inclined to think that the 6.3 upgrade was all a conspiracy to increase the traffic to this forum....they psuedo-announced it back in, what July? I saw a link from Engadget or some place and I've been reading the board ever since.

Of course I still don't have 6.3...............hmmmmmm.............

-h

11. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    I've been on "the other forum" and seen posts about audio dropouts and picture freezes with the HR20. It may be a new unit, but the symptoms are the same and have been occuring around the same time. Coincidence, I think not. It's obvious some kind of technical trouble is going on at DTV. So, let's get off the "DTV is killing Tivo" conspiracy angle. I don't believe in the single bullet theory, but the Tivo fanatics are getting nuts with this HR20 means DTV is actively trying to destroy our Tivo's. :(

12. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Then explain why it is occuring on OTA broadcasts?

And again... TiVo wrote the software upgrade.....

13. Ed Dixon

Ed Dixon New Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    DTV has millions of customers. Most have zero clue as to software updates, version info, model differences or much of anything else. If they sit down, press the channel up button, and get a picture, many are probably happy.

The folks on these forums are likely the exceptions, and probably a tiny percentage at that.

Ed

14. Markman07

Markman07 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    If you want Conspiracies then head over to Newsvine.com. You'll have a good time reading some far out stuff there. But no you won't find any Directv conspiracies.

15. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    Yes they are!!! Think about it, TiVo makes the 6.3 with a few bugs, and pushes everybody to the HR20, which is even buggier. D* customers revolt and ditch the D* brand DVRs altogether and buy the more expensive S3 TiVo. Dumdumdum, the plot thickens.

16. DDayDawg

DDayDawg New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Memphis, TN
    I can't buy into a conspiracy theory when comeplete incompetence, something demonstrated time and time again by DirecTV, more easily explains things.

The only thing we can truly count on in this world is DTV's ultimate lackey, Earl, posting on any somewhat negative DTV post pumping them up and/or shifting the blame somewhere else. It's good to know there are things we can count on in this life.

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    So, folks ask why 6.3 after so long.

I actually think the answer is simple.

Not so long ago, TiVo and D* agreed to continue support of DTiVos (both SD and HD). While they are not selling new units, they did extend their agreement on support of those in existence.

Now, either the new software is part of that agreement or a realization by both sides (or just one side that convinced the other side) that if these units are going to be continually supported, it is time to upgrade them.

Timing seems about right to me. And no conspiracy except a conspiracy to keep things moving as well as possible.

18. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Is it lackey or shill? I am confused.

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    BTW, I find most people are too incompetent to run a good conspiracy.