Considering TiVo again. How spammy has it become?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jmccorm, Aug 25, 2009.

1. jmccorm

jmccorm Special Forum Guest

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    I used TiVo years ago and I liked it. But the interface was slow and I eventually gave it away to a relative who still uses it to this day.

In the past couple of years, I've been using the Cox DVR. But frankly, I hate how much it works against me. I turn the TV/DVR on and get their PPV ads by default. (I swear I changed the starting channel, but it changed back.) I can't remove the tons of the unwanted channels and the unsubscribed channels from their program guide. I'm convinced that they've put advertising their own awesome lineup over any real considerations like usability. (I can only filter channels out from up/down channel surfing.) I have no hope that Cox will put the customer experience first. Using their DVR only reinforces that you need to purchase channels or programs from Cox.

So I want to consider a TiVo again. But I have to wonder: around the time I left TiVo, they started to become spammy and in love with advertisements in addition to the paid monthly service fee. Today, how is TiVo's love affair with advertising revenues playing out?

Above all, I want to purchase a DVR that puts me first, and has little in the way of distractions and annoyances. How much will today's TiVo serve me, and how much and in what ways will it serve a different master?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    From the stickied TCF TivoHD FAQ:

Of course, TiVo allows you to remove any channels you do not want, so (a) you don't see them in the guide, and (b) they are skipped when you channel up/down. TiVo also allows you to define a separate favorites list; my current program guide shows just 50-60 favorite channels.

See the FAQ linked above for screenshots and videos, or the AVS version for even more screenshots (TCF has image linking limits, AVS does not).

3. MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    I've loved my Tivo since the day I got the first one in 2000.

That said, I find the ads on cable programming for upcoming shows far more bothersome than a few ads on a menu that I don't have to look at.

Bravo has become the worst for those ads in the corner which take up a good deal of real estate and have started to block too much of the picture.

4. jmccorm

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    What you showed me is a little of what has me worried. When I purchased my HDR212, it had no advertisements. Then, they started adding in a main menu advertisement, and some special channel advertisement, and some commercial tie-in thing. So the latest HD models still have the main menu advertisement, but it looks like they just added a pause screen advertisement, you say?

I'm just have some hesitation/concern that I'm not going to have control over the new ways that TiVo decides to annoy me. I'm kind of locked-in, you know?

5. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Here is a typical pause ad:
    [​IMG]

I really ignore these for the most part. Some people find them so annoying that they go on endless rants about it.

Plus you may see this from time to time if you watch commercials:
    [​IMG]

For all the TiVo does these ads don't bother me one bit.

6. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Of course those with a harmony or other programmable remote can program "Pause" to be "Pause then Down Arrow" and the pause ads will not show.

7. jmccorm

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Sadly, Cox has sensitized me to the point where I just want a consumer device that doesn't have its own agenda. I appreciate the advice on bypassing the pause commercials, but I think it points to a future with this particular vendor where I'm going to have to continue to fight (and by no means certainly win) to have it maintain a neutral presentation and stick to the device functionality that I desire. Unfortunate for me.

Hey, thanks, all, for your time. To keep my search for a new DVR on-topic, I'll probably head out to the AVS Forum's DVR section unless you all can suggest a better place to explore my DVR options.

8. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Whenever you purchase something, figure that the seller always has their own agenda, and not just in existence to serve yours.

If you plan on sticking with HD cable, there is a remarkably small list. Good luck.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Really you have MOXI and TiVo or Sat broadcasters to pick from. Moxi is so new that they have no where near enough eyeballs for advertisers so they will be add free for a while still.

as for TiVo and ads - the ads make me do nothing different with my remote to use the DVR except for the little ads in now playing folders, and not much of those either. I think that is by design from TiVo - they understand the balancing act of end users versus content owners who need ads to pay for making the content. Like weeds ads will always be looking for a place and it wont be a place you want them but overall ads on TiVo are just things you overlook unless you want to interact with them.

10. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    The worst part is the slow interface. Otherwise the ads are tolerable.

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The ads are freaking obnoxious, but still considerably less so than what it sounds like you have with the Cox DVR, and than what I've seen with, e.g., the DirecTV HR22.

If you want real control, and zero ads, you'll have to build your own DVR.

12. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    What ads did you see on HR22? There are no pause ads, there are no guide ads (except channel 1000 is highlighted with a banner ad for on-demand), there are no play list ads. You can get to ads if you go to interactive channel, but the only reason to go to interactive channel is to see ads for new movies or to see what people are watching (DirecTV has neat application that shows top 5 shows that people are watching in different categories).

13. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    There are no ads of any kind in the TiVo guide.

Did DirecTV remove the in-guide ads and banners? There are a number of threads on the subject at DBSTalk, such as this and this.

[​IMG]

That sort of scrolling ad is much more annoying than anything on the TiVo, imo.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Not as of a couple of weeks ago.

+1

Although the in-group ads are a contender.

15. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    These ads are the ones I mentioned. These are channel 1000 ads for on-demand. They are not scrolling, but you do see them when you scroll in a guide. You do not see them in a lower channel range nor do you see them in 500 range (pay channel range) any longer. You see them in a PPV and interactive range (101-199). If it was not a banner, it would be just channel 1000 in it's normal position. You don't see them at all unless you select "all channels", or "PPV" options of the guide. These banners advertise on-demand shows and are in a proper place to bring your attention to the PPV or preview event advertised on channel 1000. Some people even like them, but I couldn't care less about them. My preference would be just a regular line in a guide.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It sounds to me like the originator used a series 1. Series 1s (of which I still use one somewhat) are GLACIALLY slow compared to TivoHD (the current hardware of course).

Obviously this forum is likely to be filled with more Tivo fans than haters, but I still will express this. Based upon what you have said, I think that Tivo is still a FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR lesser of evils compared with your existing cable DVR.

1) Tivo lets you turn off channels you don't receive/don't want to ever see in the guide or record from (though you could still type in the channel # if you really wanted to go to it)
    2) Tivo does not have ads in the same way that cable boxes have ads (based upon the pictures someone else showed in this thread and what I've seen elsewhere). They're WAY more plastered with ads.
    3) You can get a lifetime subscription for Tivos, so you don't pay monthly.

BTW, I appreciate Moxi as a competitor, but it:
    1) doesn't do OTA at all
    2) won't record analog channels without an adapter and even with an adapter only records 1 analog channel at a time.. I realize this is probably moot to most people.
    (An *advantage* of Moxi is that you apparently can do 'manual clear QAM mapping' which Tivos do not do.)

Also, I believe the only "personal computer DVR" that will deal with cablecards (which are required to record any premium channel, including HD channels and anything beyond the basic tier) is something running Windows, and it may have other restrictions you don't like.

17. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    If you're going to say that recording only one analog channel at a time is a disadvantage of Moxi, you need to say that the TivoHD currently cannot reliably record *any* analog channels (due to a horrible bug in 11.x software that has not been fixed since 11.0 was first released). :thumbsdown:

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I have 2 TiVo HD DVRs and both record analog wth no hassles. I have seen the gray screen 3 times over the course of a year on one. The other has been rock solid. The 'bug' you mention is not on every TiVo HD by a long shot. to say TiVo HD can record 2 analog channels at once is very valid.

19. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If you're going to completely damn a software version, you have to be a bit more accurate.

I have a TivoHD with 11.x that does nothing BUT reliably record analog cable, day in, day out, and has no issues, so let's please keep the FUD at a minimum here.

Diane

20. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Stamp. I tried to watch some of Blue Planet again which was playing on Planet Earth and the logo is so huge, not down discretely in the corner, that I had trouble getting past it. Of all cable channels, Planet Earth should be the one to have a discrete translucent logo tucked into the bottom corner - not the blazing in-your-face one that's worse than nearly everyone else.