Considering purchasing TiVo premiere, have a few questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by toddvj, May 12, 2011.

1. toddvj

toddvj New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    So, I have been a long-time TiVo user, and currently have a TiVoHD. I am thinking about getting the premiere. I like the idea that it can output 1080p and that it has an iPad app. However, I've read that the interface is very slow. Is this still true? Does going to the "classic" menu system fix that?

I've just purchased a 2nd TV so either way, I'm going to get a 2nd TiVo. It's just a question of whether it is a Premiere or not.

Since I will have 2 TiVos, I am wondering about transferring shows between the two. Does one have to actually transfer the show from one to the other, or can I just stream it? For transferring, how fast is it? I know that going from PC to TiVo, or vice versa, is very slow. Is it faster going TiVo to TiVo.
    Also, can I transfer shows from premium channels from one to the other?

Last question. Do I need a subscription on both boxes? I think you get a discount on the second one, but really, if I'm able to stream content, I'm not sure I would need a subscription on the second box. I could just do OTA only and wouldn't really need a guide. However, I'm not sure it would even work that way.

Thanks for your help.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes it would need a subscription even just to record. Transfers off my THD runs about 4-7 mbps, higher speed were from/to Premiere. Recordings from some channels could get copy-protected from transferring., mostly that is encoded by the cable card, depends on the cable co.

3. Mark McM

Mark McM New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    - The HD GUI on the Premiere is slower than the TivoHD's (SD) GUI, but the 'Classic' SD GUI on the Premiere is significantly faster than the TivoHD GUI - so in a true Apples-to-Apples comparison, the Premiere is faster.

- You can transfer shows directly from one Tivo to another (assuming they are on the same local network, and are not copy-protected). For multi-room viewing, programs are transferred rather than streamed, but you can start watching a program while it is being transferred. Transfer speed with the Premiere is noticeably faster than with the TivoHD, so you may only need to wait a short time after starting the transfer before beginning to watch it (maybe a few minutes for an HD program, or almost immediately with an SD program).

- A subscription is required to do any recording on the Premiere, and a transfer is a type of recording, so yes, you'd need a subscription. Whether you could get a multiple device discount on the Premiere depends on what purchase/service contract option you selected (retailer or direct from Tivo, full price or discounted purchase price, etc.). See the multitude of other threads on Premiere subscription pricing policies for more details.

4. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    My premiere transfers are really fast IMO.

5. toddvj

toddvj New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks! These are exactly the answers I was looking for.

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Honestly, I've been shocked at the level of improvement. My transfers Premiere-to-Premiere with one wired and the other wireless-N (5-ghz) connected have been 30+mbps. I even transferred an animated show at 59mbps once - easy to compress, sure, so it's not a TRUE speed (well, it's true, but it's kind of misleading/irrelevant) but holy cow my eyebrows went up seeing that in transfer history!

The other measure of speed I have is computer downloads. Downloading .tivo files directly from the Premiere with wireless-N (5ghz), it fluctuates between 25-35mbps on average, - but my real-time traffic monitor on my wireless-N (5ghz) laptop has peaked at 5.01 MBps - that's right at 40mbit/s. For a wireless-to-wireless connection, that's pretty awesome. Now if only I didn't have a puny 2mbit/1mbit cable internet connection... :(

In any event, the transfer rate is well over realtime - fast enough to just hit transfer, start watching, and still skip the commercials.

This is one of the things Tivo REALLY did WELL with the Premieres. Giving them credit where credit is due! :up:

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Make sure you go to Tivo.com and look at your upgrade offers. You will likely get your best over all deal there.

The sub $99 Premieres being sold everywhere else require a $19.99/mo subscription.

Good Luck,

8. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I'll add on here as I have the same question/dilemma.

Right now my "upgrade" offer shows $479 for a lifetime premiere box. And I got an email just now that it will expire in two days (talk about pressure).

Upside -
    Wicked fast networking - it looks 4X what my series 3s are. Great for moving to iPad or computer hard drive.
    iPad app - well, I have an iPad. This app looks cool.
    Video while in menu - this was the only thing the Comcast DVR did that I missed when I went TiVo.

Downside -
    Have to re-pair the cable cards (although I get to drop one and save $1.50/mo.)
    No instant cake yet. I know the hard drive is the week link in this kind of tech. I like being able to image a replacement drive and be running in a couple hours. Even under warranty, I'd prefer to just do it myself than to ship a TiVo.

9. belunos

belunos New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I would just call it 'well'. Really well would have been the option to stream rather than transfer.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Maybe... but I was only addressing transfer speed, not the streaming option. To be honest, as we speak I'm streaming to my Premiere using pytivoX's streambaby implementation - at 3-4 mB/s (that's what, 24-32 mbit?) over wireless on both ends of the connection. Sure, it's wireless-n 5-ghz, which is the best option available, but still, I'm tickled that it's fast enough to actually idle the stream occasionally so it doesn't get ahead of its buffer.

To be clear: for purposes where network transfer speed is relevant (whatever that is) but particularly over wired or wireless-N, the Tivo Premiere has fast transfer speeds.

11. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    No cake, but there is jmfs

12. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    hm..... so you can easily move files from a Premiere to an ipad/ipod??? how did I miss this piece..

13. dexterdog

dexterdog New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    DON'T BUY TIVO. I have 2 Premiere Xl's nothing but trouble. One of my Tivo's failed, I get a refurb and I lost my extended warranty.

14. al210

al210 New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I was thinking about making the jump to premiere from my HD unit.

I have a yearly subscription that renews every September.

If I get a premiere off eBay will I be able to keep my current subscription or will I have to upgrade it at a higher cost? I pay 12.95/month on current plan.