Considering getting Slingbox AV for my Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mishafp, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1 of 59
    mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006

Advertisements

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? From what i have read, this will allow me to watch my TIVO when I go home to my family (who do not even have cable TV!!!) or my girlfriend's house (who doesnt have TIVO). Is there any benefit to getting the Slingbox Pro instead (I do not need the multiple device capabality). I cannot imagine that my simple laptop will be able to view HD-quality recordings anyway, so will the Slingbox AV be good enough? Is there anything else I should know about how Slingbox AV interacts with the S3 or TIVOs in general?

2. Dec 6, 2006 #2 of 59
    mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006
    also, I am unsure as to how this sling box thing works. For example, say I am at work and someone from my family back in another state wants to watch something off of my S3, could they log in and just do it (I assume my slingbox would be sitting nex to my tv, right?)? Or is there a way that they will limit it to only me?

3. Dec 6, 2006 #3 of 59
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I have 2 slingboxes, I love them. Works great with a S3. You would have to give the other person your password and info for them to use your Slingbox, but it can be done. The regular model should be fine for you. I recommend connecting wirelessly to your home network with an ethernet wireless game adapter unless your TV is right next to your PC

4. Dec 6, 2006 #4 of 59
    mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006
    thanks! Three questions:

1. My Series 3 is connected through my router with a wire, would the SlingBox work the same way? Is there any difference between how SlingBox and TIVO are connected to the router?

2. Say I give the password to my mom, and she is watching something back in Massachusetts, and I come home from work here in DC- and want to watch my S3 TIVO. Will it just kick her off as soon as I turn it on? Will it not allow me to change channels?

3. Why do you have two sling boxes? Are they for different TVs?

5. Dec 6, 2006 #5 of 59
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

Advertisements

1) works the same ,simple ethernet works
    2) she could change channels on you at any time
    3) one for my S3 and one for my Cable DVR, same TV

6. Dec 6, 2006 #6 of 59
    rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    One caveat is that if you connect your tivo via HDMI, you won't be able to watch many shows with the copy protection bit set on the slingbox with the TV turned off or (on some TVs) tuned to a different input. The only real way around this is to not use HDMI at all. This may not hit you at all; some cable companies don't set the CCI bit at all, and some (like mine) put it on everything but HD and PBS.

The slingbox pro will indeed offer better quality with the $50 "HD" dongle. It doesn't place-shift true HD, but it does downconvert it to a true anamorphic 640x480 signal so none of the space is wasted with letterboxing, which gives more usable resolution. But the pro is a lot more money.

7. Dec 6, 2006 #7 of 59
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Thats not true rodalpho.

I have the slingbox. I am using the S-Video out of my S3 to the slingbox. I have HDMI connected to my pioneer 84 receiver which is connected to the TV using HDMI.

I can watch my s3 using the slingbox either on my PDA phone, or Laptop computer without any problem. Doesn't matter if the Pioneer or TV are on or off.. IT works just fine for me.

However, I haven't tried watching any shows that have the copy protection bit set to on either. I do know that I have been able to watch HBO & other Premium channels without any problem. Including the HD channels. Although obviously not in HD since the slingbox connection is useing the SVIDEO.

My TV is still viewing everything in HD.

TexasGrillChef

8. Dec 6, 2006 #8 of 59
    yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    What screen aspect ratio setting are you using for HD? and what do you get through your slingbox? My S3 is using 1080ifixed, so it's outputing a horizontally squeezed picture on S-video (think squeezing a 16:9 picture to fit in 4:3). Anyway on the slingbox to counter that?

9. Dec 6, 2006 #9 of 59
    rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Yep like I said, some cable companies don't set the CCI bit. You're just lucky.

The newest slingplayer software handles 16:9 aspect ratio just fine, it looks great over s-video. You still lose some resolution to the letterboxing, but it gets the proportions correct.

10. strongbadd

strongbadd New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    The SlingPlayer has an option to change the viewing aspect to widescreen. This should present it at a 16:9 ratio when watching on your computer.

11. lemketron

lemketron Senior Bit Twiddler

Jun 24, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Agreed, this has been my experience as well using an original SlingPlayer connected to the composite output of my S3, where my HD set is connected with HDMI and always running at 1080i.

The resulting picture works fine for my needs whether away from home or watching on a remote computer in the house. In the house the picture quality looks fine. I understand the newer Slingboxes have even better compression so the PQ may be even better for a given size pipe (especially when viewing remotely, away from home).

12. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    I have a slingbox av that i am just setting up on my tivoHD. I use component output on my hdtv and i have no receiver and thus no digital input on my tv. As of right now I am using the audio pass through from the tv (regular old red and white rca) to run sound to the slingbox. The problem with this is that the tv must be on for me to process the sound. My question is do i have to run hdmi to free up the ports and if so isnt there a likelyhood of having to have the tv on anyhow. Is this problem inevitable for me and is there a way to set my slingbox remote to turn the tv on and of. Also does anybody know how to split red and white rca sound cables?

13. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    There are four types of output. HDMI, Component, RCA and S-Video. Your Slingbox can only use RCA and S-Video. So, you use HDMI or Component for HD, and either RCA or S-Video for your slingbox. (And, even if you have an HD adpater on your slingbox, it is converting down to SD anyway.) You should not need the TV on. The TiVo is ALWAYS transmitting video whether or not the TV is on or off. There are some reports of TV's that do not operate correctly in stand-by mode, but those TV's are at fault. Those TV's will block all output to all video sources when the TV is turned off (in standby mode) with HDMI cables.
    Radio Shack. Of course, there are plenty of analog audio outputs on the back of the TiVo. But, a "Y" is just as good.

14. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    yeah i know the signal is down converted which is why i didnt get a slingbox pro.
    My issue is in deciding what cord to run from the tivo to my tv for best use with the slingbox. If i use an hdmi it frees up the rca inputs for the slinbox. However i have heard reports that hdmi encounters issues with copyright flags and that you have to have the tv on to avoid them.

If on the other hand i choose to use the component cables to bypass this issue i run into the problem of only having one audio out on the tivo hd (the optical out on the tivo is not an option for me). My TV has an rca output but this would require me to have the tv on every time i want to use the slingbox.

I guess im wondering what to people suggest i do. Should i just deal with the copyright issues with hdmi or try to split the red and white rca cords as they leave the tivo (via some radio shack solution) which is what id really like to do if possible.

15. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    OK, how about this? I will tell you how mine is set up. I have a Series 3 and a Slinbox AV. I have an HDMI cable sent to my Panasonic Plasma TV. I have S-Video and RCA audio sent to my Slingbox AV. Works fine at home or remotely. No TV is on. I also have Component cables sent to my remote TV's in three bedrooms.

16. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    good to hear that you have no issues with hdmi. I think that is what i will have to do.

With regard to the audio though for us tivo hd users, the component shares the same audio output. So you can either use that audio in conjunction with an RCA or Component but not both. Thanks for the input i wish i didnt have to mess with another HDMI cord as it makes a rather loud popping noise on my samsung dlp.

17. bigbridge

bigbridge New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Let me ask you another question regarding use of a Slingbox, as it sounds like you have a very similar setup to mine -- my daughter wants me to set up a Series 3 TIVO and some model Slingbox, here in Portland, OR, with the Series 3 recording over-the-air HDTV shows from my rooftop antenna, and have the Slingbox send the recorded HD shows to her in Germany, via the Internet, so she can watch them there at her own chosen time.

I have little knowledge of Slingbox, but after checking the web, it seems to me that what she wants to do is feasible, but with 2 provisos: first, the quality of signal she will receive will vary, with Slingbox doing its best, and it will never be true HD but well may be better than analog USA TV quality. Second, the received signal in Germany, probably has to be watched on the PC she has on the Internet running the Slingbox software on that end. I would like your comments on these two assumptions I have made.

Also, in regard to that second assumption of mine, could you comment on whether or not you think there is a chance she could take the received video signal, after the Slingbox software in her PC has processed it at her end, and send it out to her plasma's PC input, as she can for normal PC video on her laptop computer, via a VGA cable, so she could watch the "slung" TV shows on her plasma TV instead of her PC screen? Many thanks for your comments!

18. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Everything you said is doable, but, you will never get HD quality. You either send S-Video SD or if you use Slingbox's HD adapter, it is converted to SD before it is transmitted. I watch it on a PC from work and it is not a great picture. The quality is reduced quite a bit over the Internet as opposed to within your own home network. It is the only way that much data can be transmitted. The bottleneck in most cases is the upload speed from the Internet connection at your house.

For more info regarding this, you should check out their forum. You might get answers to all of your questions without even having to ask. http://www.slingcommunity.com/home (Hmm, I just noticed that these are the same people that run these tivocommunity forums.)

19. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    i would suggest she bitt torrent. Even a 300mb divx file would be far superior to anything you would sling. Also you should know that only one show can be displayed at a time. So you cant watch one thing while she watches something else which might not be an issue if she is in Germany. If you dont like downloading tv than slingbox might be your only bet.

20. bigbridge

bigbridge New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks for your info - sounds like end result will be fairly poor picture at the other end, as my Comcast upload speed is 300-350kbs. I will see what I can find out on the sling community site, also. I found a review of the Slingbox SOLO from PC Mag that also mentioned the "forthcoming" SlingCatcher device, which is designed to take the slung signal and send it to a TV, without having to go through a PC first, but still no release date.