Considering getting Roku

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nrnoble, May 15, 2011.

1. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004
    I have two S3 and have nothing to complain about. I am however wanting access to other internet services. I do have netflix and use it frequently with TiVo and I use Pandora occationally. I would like access to Hulu & crackle.

I am considering Roku. What are some pros\cons going with Ruko?

I could hook up a spare PC to my HDTV, but the downside is PC is dependent on keyboard mouse, which wouldn't be practical for regular use; need a box that can be controlled with a remote and has a simple and well designed UI. Ideally I would just prefer to to use my TiVo for everything, but that is not the current reality.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
  3. snarler

snarler New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    For most flexibility, I'd go with the PC. I have one on my main TV and I have both physical keyboard and mouse and bluetooth keyboard and mouse for it. On that same TV, I also have a Roku, TiVo, Blu-ray player, and Wii (and probably stuff I'm forgetting.) I use the Roku when I can, just for the simplicity and ease of use, no boot time, etc. It has oodles of channels, but many are going to be niche channels you probably won't care for. it *does* have "big-name" channels like Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, Hulu Plus, Crackle, TuneIn, MLB TV, etc. which are more than enough to keep people busy. If you get a model with a USB port, there's a USB channel for playing back your stored music, movies, and pictures from a USB drive. The codecs on the Roku are somewhat limited so it's not going to play everything you throw at it. The PC is nice for things like ESPN3 and other stuff not currently supported.

The Netflix interface on the Roku is (to me) leaps and bounds above the one on TiVo, but in all fairness, several times over the last month Netflix has had problems that crippled the Roku and PS3 from working right and the TiVo had no problems. Those are probably exceptional cases that I don't expect to happen again anytime soon, but it is a point of data.

4. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Remember the Hulu you get with Roku, and persumable eventually with TiVo, is HuluPlus. Which is just a subset of the Hulu website content licensed for big screen play back, rather the computer viewing. Many people seem to be unaware of this.

We've had a Roku for almost three years, fantastic little box, very easy to use, even for my 3.5yr old daughter. Very rich Netflix interface, Amazon VOD, HuluPlus, etc. There is also a channel or two for streaming content off your PC.

From reading their forums some people have had problems with the wireless NIC crapping out.

5. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I bought a Roku so I could get Amazon Prime member videos. First of all it was easy to set up, takes up little space and the interface is excellent.

I have two Tivo Premiere's and have Netfilx and have been ok with the service on them. The Roku interface in my opinion is much better. It seems faster and more responsive than Tivo's does. It also allows you to search Netflix for a movie where Tivo does not. The movies that I've found on Amazon have been mediocre at best so as far as that use of the Roku it wasn't worth the expense. Having access to Hulu plus is not anything I'm interested in so take that what it's worth.

The bottom line is if you have a hundred bucks in your pocket and you want/need the features of the Roku then buy one. I'd do it over again if I had the choice.

6. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I don't have a Roku, but I came very close to getting one when looking at various options (I ultimately decided on the Boxee Box, and have been very pleased with it). One thing to consider, with the Roku, is that there's now a Plex client for it (that's a good thing!)

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I certainly cannot say getting a Roku or Boxee device is a bad decision, but for my $0.02 worth, the value of having a single UI and not having to switch between multiple devices is hard to overestimate. I have a fairly nice DVD Jukebox, but I just about quit watching DVDs altogether once I got my S3 TiVo for the theater. Now that there is a DVD plug-in for pyTivo, I am once again occasionally watching DVDs.

8. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Thanks everyone for the info.

Does anyone how large of a HDD can be connected to the Roku via the USB port? Ie 1 TB full of movies, music, etc?

Where can I get more info about this plug-in? Thx

9. emfinlay

emfinlay New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I have a series 3 Tivo and my daughter and I never watch live TV anymore. She has a TV in her room and never, ever watched it. I considered getting another Tivo, but the thought of paying for another Lifetime Subscription was too painful.

I bought her a Roku and am very glad that I did. We already used the Netflix on Tivo and it's better on the Roku, plus there are many free apps as well as pay. I was able to set up the account with a password so that she can add any free apps, but needs the PW for chargeable transactions. She and a friend are in her room watching as I write :)

10. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Don't consider a Roku, don't think about it, and don't delay. Just buy the darned Roku box for $100 or less and enjoy the thing.

Roku doesn't require an ongoing monthly fee after you purchase it. Roku works with Netflix, Amazon streaming, Hulu Plus, Youtube (in HD), Crackle, Major League Baseball, and a bunch of other video sources that I'm sure I am forgetting.

Even if you are a diehard TiVo loyalist, you must admit that Roku offers a better user interface for a bunch of services that are on the TiVo Premiere and a number of services that aren't on the latest version of the TiVo.

Just bite the bullet and hand over cash for the Roku box. The end user experience is far better on the Roku than on the TiVo, even if the Roku cannot record live over the air television.:up:

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Before you decide on a Roku, check out The Missing Remote's Media Player comparison guide:

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/media-players-comparison

There are lots of other excellent choices out there besides a Roku. Features and prices vary considerably so look over the list and see which ones suit your needs. Keep in mind that the list of features may not be 100% accurate so check out the manufacturer's site and any independent reviews for confirmation before you buy.

12. RonC

RonC New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I have had a ROKU player for over 3 years and I really, really like it. The NetFlix interface is superior to TIVO and the remote for it is designed for ease of use, with the minimum number of buttons.
    As much as I like my TIVO, I still prefer to use the ROKU for NetFlix plus a few other apps like the Facebook interface.
    Get one NOW!!!