Considering Dropping DirecTV And Moving Back To Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CharlyB, Mar 22, 2020.

1. CharlyB

CharlyB New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    I have been a DirecTV customer since 1997, but prior to that had Tivos for a number of years. If I recall (may be totally wrong), Tivos were the original DVR box for DirectTV. My current DirecTV configuration consists of a Genie Gen 3 and four Genie Minis. If I were to move to Tivo, I would either pickup Verizon Fios or Xfinity as the program provider. My biggest question (from a hardware standpoint) is how much would it cost to purchase boxes from Tivo that would give me a similar configuration? I know I'd need the main/master box (I'd want the 2 TB version) and am assuming I'd need "x" satellite units. My goal would be to be able to watch anything recorded on the master box on any the televisions in the house. I'm guessing my initial Tivo hardware investment would be somewhere between $750 and $1,000. Does that sound about right? I'm fine if it's in the price range. Then I'll need to see what my programming would cost from either Fios or Xfinity. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You had TiVo's before '97? You really are an early adopter...

-KP

3. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    considering Tivo didnt start until 1999 ;)

eman926 likes this.
  4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Since you're asking about costs, I recently bought a fully functional Roamio off Ebay for $40 to the door...Add some Mini's and you're in business.

2tb hard drives are another $40...

-KP

5. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Id suggest just skipping all that altogether and get a Firestick and SlingTv if it has the programs you want and already have OTA, theres also HuluLive and YouTubeTV but they bundle more just like DTV and cable.

6. CharlyB

CharlyB New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    TiVo Inc. was incorporated on August 4, 1997 as "Teleworld, Inc." by Jim Barton and Mike Ramsay, former employees at Silicon Graphics and Time Warner's Full Service Network digital video system.[4] Originally intending to create a home network device, they later developed the idea to record digitized video on a hard disk for a monthly service, at the suggestion of Randy Komisar[5][better source needed]. The original TiVo device digitized and compressed analog video from any source.[4]

Teleworld began the first public trials of the TiVo device and service in late 1998 in the San Francisco Bay area.[6]

Teleworld, Inc. renamed itself to TiVo Inc. on July 21, 1999, and made its IPO (Initial Public Offering) on September 30, 1999.[4]

7. CharlyB

CharlyB New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Quite honestly…… the main reason I have all the programming is my wife has an obsession with HGTV. She records many of the shows and watches them on her own time. If there is a different/stand alone service that would let me record HGTV and play it one multiple devices and TVs around my house, that would be super!

foghorn2 likes this.
  8. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    I did what you are considering two years ago. I have a Tivo Bolt with lifetime and two minis. Provider is Comcast. I have been very satisfied until recently.

Recently Tivo introduced bugs into their systems with the TiVO+ crap. They have not been responding to these issues or guide data problems timely. All resources must be going into their new streaming stick.

Also the dropping of the on demand by TiVO and Comcast.

I also have a Roku and Apple TV. We have been watching more streaming from Amazon Prime and Apple+ but not a lot.

Tivo is still a good DVR and I don't see us dropping our current setup unless costs get too far out of control or they get bricked by bad software.

With my current setup it is an easy move to OTA TV if costs get too high because I get good signals from a rooftop antenna.

I have a second Bolt I am not using because it does not have Lifetime and I don't want to pay the fee.

If you go with Tivo I would recommend getting the Cable/OTA version with the smaller hard drive and upgrade the hard drive yourself. Would not want to be stuck with a cable or OTA only device.

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    if you just want HGTV, check out Philo. $20/mo. Has HGTV. REcord unlimited shows. Recordings stay for 30 days.

I never used it myself but if all I really needed cable for was HGTV then I would check out Philo first.

mdavej likes this.
  10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Since you have DirecTV, you're accustomed to paying DVR fees, you probably aren't interested in lifetime service. You can replace your Genie with a Bolt or Edge and your Genie Minis with Tivo Minis. Current sale prices make the total system $1000.

- 4 Minis @ $150
    - 2TB Tivo Edge @ $400 (or 1TB Bolt for $200)

Alternatively, if Philo doesn't appeal to you, Youtube TV gives you unlimited cloud DVR for HGTV (plus 70 other cable channels) for $50/month, no cable TV subscription required. Sling TV is also an option. But since you have 5 screens, the 3 simultaneous screen limit might be a problem with streaming. But you could watch HGTV on demand without using one of your streams.

When you cancel DirecTV, AT&T will undoubtedly offer you a deal on AT&T TV. It's similar to Youtube TV, but double the price (1st year is cheap, 2nd year double in price). Feature-wise it's vastly inferior to Youtube TV, requires a contract (along with early termination fees), $10/per month for each additional box after the 1st, and also a 3 stream limit. So they'll only sell you 3 boxes. Of course, you can buy as many as you want on ebay or just use some other device like Fire stick or Apple TV (doesn't run on Roku anymore).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  11. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Philo works great. I’ll probably pause YouTubeTV now that AFL is halting season until end of May. I get locals via an antenna just fine, so Philo will be fine for Hallmark, Foodnetwork, DIYNet and HGTv which are the only regular channels I view much.

The 3 streams is fine, as one call also use the tv everywhere logins from Philo to watch via the network apps too.

mdavej likes this.
  12. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    OP - You don't mention 'location' - I'd say important! Assuming you've HSI (High Speed Internet) who is that provider? Currently I don't believe it's an opportune time to 'switch' just for switching sake. Mention both and what you're paying now and it might be considered a more reasonable request. Equipment isn't an issue!

Assuming you've been with DirecTV 20+ years 'tolerating' any change ain't going to be convenient!

13. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    My Sling Blue has HGTV, its $30 and includes the cable news channels too if youre into that, Philio does not. Tons of OnDemand from HGTV too so you might not even have to DVR. Just get a Firestick for each TV. Going to cable with Tivo would be way too expensive compared to the streaming options. If you like Tivo, the new Tivo Stream 4k integrated with Sling will be awesome. Im using its older brother right now, the Air Tv Mini 4K and the experience is awesome, it will be even better with Tivo.

14. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    TiVo has a sale on right now for TiVo Bolt boxes. The 4-tuner 500GB cable/OTA unit is $350 and the 1TB 6-tuner cable-only Bolt is $450. These include the all-in lifetime service. Sale ends tomorrow (3/23). If you need 2TB, check out this thread that mentions this $54 drive ... plug in the drive and the TiVo will configure it automatically. Then go look on Craigslist or eBay for used Mini units ... I see a few of them for $80 or less. I'd also plan to spend $10 for a USB fan that you sit under the Bolt to cool it down.

15. CharlyB

CharlyB New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Folks: Thank all of you SO MUCH for your responses. I've not been able to get back to this right away. But you comments and recommendations are going to be invaluable. Again to summarize: My wife requires HGTV with a DVR. I just want to be able to get the service on 4,5, or 6 TVs n my house. I've kept HGTV for many years because at one time I had Sunday Ticket. Since we are retired - and my Washington Redskins continue to suck - that is no longer a requirement.

16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Up to 6 total TVs, but how many will be viewed simultaneously?

All options presented so far meet your HGTV DVR requirement, Philo being the cheapest.