Considering a TiVo HD and a few questions about going from S2

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by RowdyJackalope, Feb 19, 2009.

1. RowdyJackalope

RowdyJackalope New Member

Mar 12, 2007

Advertisements

Hi all - I have been a series 2 user for about 5 years now and absolutely cannot imagine going to a Cable company (Time Warner in Cincinnati) DVR without the Tivo service. My wife and I are considering making the leap from our standard TV to a new LCD HDTV. I have read through several of the threads here and have had many of my questions answered, but a few more are floating around out there.

1. I have seen in different places that TiVoToGo is not enabled for the TiVo HD units and then in other places I have seen that it does work. I do a lot of transferring my shows from my S2 to my desktop and converting them to ipod format for viewing on my ipod (obviously, this would have to be standard def shows) and also transferring to my computer for storage for later (I have one of the old 40 hr TiVo Series 2s, so HD space is a premium on the tivo). Is the transfer service now enabled for series 3 tivos and does it seem to be working normally for people?

2. I am still a bit unclear on the whole cable card thing. As I understand it, I would need to get a cablecard and potentially an adapter from TimeWarner for HD channels from TW. Correct? Once those are installed, the TiVo will run as normal and as I have been used to it working on my S2?

3. With this upgrade, I will have my S2 hooked up to our old TV and also then the TivoHD - both would be wirelessly connected to my network. The multiroom viewing would allow me to record things on the Series 3 and then transfer to the other one correct?

Thanks

2. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    1) TTG wasn't initially enabled with the S3 units. TTG won't let you transfer shows that are flagged as copy protect. Some cable systems tag more shows then others. You can MRV a SD show from your TivoHD to your S2 but not a HD show.

2) yes to both.

3) answered above.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It has been working since about V9.0 software update.

Only if you get digital cable.

Yep. Except for HD content will not transfer and play on anything other than S3/HD/XL or computer. Only the Tivo Wireless adapter will work on the HD/XL.

4. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Be aware that TWC sets the CCI byte to 2 on all digital channels, except for locals. This setting makes all the shows copy protected. So you will not be able to use MRV (multiroom viewing) or TTG (TiVo-to-go) to transfer a SD digital show to either your computer or the S2. This is covered in several threads, and is a source of frustration to TiVo owners on TWC.

You can transfer analog shows in SD between the S2 and the HD, or to/from your PC.

5. berkshires

berkshires Member

Feb 22, 2007

Advertisements

1) You uttered the magic words Time Warner. I bet almost all of your digital channels that are not OTA broadcast will be flagged and un-MRV/TTG-able. Some of your traditional non-OTA channels will tune analog versions and others will tune digital versions, according to the cableCARD mappings TW chooses. The analog ones will be OK.

Your old S2 will be useful for recording shows via your cable box without transfers disabled, albeit a lower quality.

6. StrynBean

StrynBean Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2004
    DMV
    Do I need to get cable cards to record 2 shows at once on basic cable?

I understand that I need two if I have digital cable and want to record two shows.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Be sure to see the General TiVo Q&A linked in my signature as it answers these and many other common questions. Unlike most other FAQs, it is current.

Only one CableCard (of the M-CARD variety) is required to support both tuners with digital cable on the TivoHD. In contrast, the discontinued Series3 model (from 2006) always requires two CableCards to support both tuners with digital cable.

No CableCards are required for basic / analog cable. That said, I would not recommend the TivoHD for use with basic / analog cable at this time, due to a bug in the latest 11.0 software that causes the periodic loss of the analog tuners. This issue does not affect digital channels.

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    True, but OTOH, if all the potential owner wants to do is record analog then I'm not sure what the allure of the S3 class TiVos would be in the first place at this time, other than perhaps dual tuners and networking. While the latter are of significant value to me, I wouldn't think they would be of great interest to someone who is only going to record analog video.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    here is what you want to do -
    get a TiVo HD and have cable cards put in it. Hook that up to the new HDTV. Be aware that TWC might have copy protect flags set way higher than they should and perhaps not much of the SD stuff you record from digital channels can be copied to your Series 2.
    With that in mind hook up the S2 to cable at your other spot and record on it what you want to see there or move to your Ipod. Just like you have been all along. Now the trick here is to get a larger drive and expand the space on the series 2. 750 Gig drives can be had for cheap now and that will let you record hundreds of hours of shows. Anything on that S2 can be copied to the new TiVo HD to be watched there if you want.

so to summarize -
    you are looking at this backwards ;)
    put a large drive in the S2(it is way past warranty anyway) - record shows there knowing you can watch those on either TiVo.
    then all you have to really worry about on the TiVo HD is the shows you want to watch there.

10. panksdmz

panksdmz New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    never though of it that way.. but makes great sense. Am waiting to bring my TivoHD online and will set it up this way.:up: