Considering a Premiere, but wondering about these 3 things

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by buscuitboy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1 of 13
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I currently have a S2 (DT) and an original S3 Tivo. I'm looking to also probably get a basic TiVo Premiere since they can now be bought for about $99. Several questions about it though:

• Can I get a Premiere monthly subscription now and then get the $399 lifetime about 2 months down the road?
    • My S3 is having some issues that I need to fix so it is sort of temporarily down for the moment. It currently has 2 Comcast M-cards in it. In order to avoid buying another M-card, can I simply use one of these M-Card in the new Premiere for now without calling Comcast? Or do they have to be "mirrored" all over again to the new Premiere?
    • I thought I saw somewhere mentioning that if your internet connection goes down, the Premiere stop functioning all together? Not even playback of pre-recorded material can be performed. Is this true?

The last one is my biggest concern. My Comcast internet connection is pretty stable, but every once in a blue moon, it has gone down for an extended amount of time. The cable TV still works and both my S2 & S3 still work as well while the internet is out. I'm hoping the Premieres do the same with a temporary loss of internet (but not TV). Any insight?

2. Feb 2, 2012 #2 of 13
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    If Comcast pairs the cards to the TiVo, which most providers do, yeah, you'll need to call and read them the CableCARD ID and the new Host ID of your Premiere. You'll only need one M-Card though, so you can return the second one and save that monthly charge (or put it in a second Premiere :D).

No. Although I haven't run into this with 20.2 yet, in 14.9 if your box had no internet connectivity the Discovery Bar would indicate as much. If you went into My Shows and tried to press Select on a show (to get the details and the normal Play/Delete/Explore menu items) it wouldn't work. The workaround was to press Play on the recording in My Shows to start playback.

3. Feb 2, 2012 #3 of 13
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Windracer is correct about Internet access. It makes it more difficult and far less functional in the HDUI, but things are still playable. And, of course, you can always switch into SDUI mode, which requires no type of network connection to perform any function.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #4 of 13
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    OK, great. Can I get a Premiere monthly subscription now and then get the $399 lifetime about 2 months down the road? I ask this cause I want to make sure I like it before I fully commit to a lifetime subscription. The place I would buy it from has a 30 day return policy so I figured I would just pay a monthly fee for the first two billing cycles. Then convert over to a lifetime for this Premiere

Although, I have seen mentions here about being able to get a $99 lifetime for my S2 (DT) if I call to cancel it in order to add the Premiere. I am currently paying $6.95 on the S2 (S3 = lifetime) and would take the $99 lifetime offer if able to.

Also not sure how this $99 offer would affect my desire to "try" the Tivo & pay monthly for 2 months, but then want to get the $399 lifetime. Is it still doable this way? Any thoughts?

5. Feb 2, 2012 #5 of 13
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I believe you can upgrade to Lifetime at any time...

6. Feb 3, 2012 #6 of 13
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Technically, when you sign up for a monthly plan you agree to a one-year commitment. You would think that TiVo would be happy to take more money and switch you to lifetime any time they get the chance, but you'd better ask them. Besides, why 2 months? If you just go ahead and sign up for lifetime, you'll have 30 days to cancel anyway. Isn't that enough of a trial?

7. Feb 3, 2012 #7 of 13
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Oh, I was not aware that you basically get a 30 day trial for a lifetime sub as well. I guess you are right and I should just get it to begin with. If not happy with the unit, return it to the store and cancel my lifetime.

I'm thinking this would probably also make it easier to get the $99 lifetime offer for my S2.

8. Feb 3, 2012 #8 of 13
    troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I just ordered my second premiere and was told I could get a lifetime right away but opted for monthly. The new premiere is currently shipping and if I go into my account online It will allow me to switch to lifetime for 399$ w/multi service discount. Interestingly when it calculates it - it removes the 14.95 I've already payed for this month BUT i bought a refurb for 79$ and it INCREASES the price of that to 99$.

9. Feb 3, 2012 #9 of 13
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They used to make you pay the rest of the contract, or continue paying monthly even if you got lifetime in the middle of your contractual term.

But it's been a few years sinec I was in that situation.

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    But it would actually be less money for tivo if they didn't require the 12 month commitment be fulfilled. It could be $200 less or with MSD, $150 less.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The 1 year monthly plan does have a 30 day money back guarantee. So you technically have 30 days from activation to switch to lifetime. TiVo reps will generally tell you this as a possible option when you sign up over the phone. Doing it after 30 days is a gray area.

12. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Considering a 1 year commitment at $19.99 a month is $240, the additional cost of lifetime for years 2+ is only $159.

13. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Another option is to buy a Premiere that has an evaluation subscription on it. They are given out as prizes and people sell them on craigslist. Or buy a used Premiere with lifetime of of craigslist, if that hasn't already been suggested.
    The evaluation subscriptions usually don't end after the year of free subs I have found. I had 5 'evaluations subscriptions' at one time and some of them were over 5 years old.