Considering a Bolt+

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by oldradio99, Mar 29, 2017.

1. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005

Advertisements

Am considering buying a Tivo bolt +. I currently own an XL4 Premier and currently have Comcast but would like to cut to OTA.

1. Any specials on transferring lifetime from a XL 4 Premier that may be currently running or has run in the past that may get run again?
    2. Will my desktop 2.8 work with the Bolt + to transfer shows to a server?
    3. Can the Bolt + be connected to OTA and cable at the same time? I would like to test OTA before cutting the cable.
    4. Is there a way to add services like CBS Streaming service or non OTA channels like AMC or TCM?
    5. How well does the combined search work given TIVO's issues with the guides?
    6. Are there any features on my XL4 that get lost with upgrading?
    7. Can i sell my XL4 with the Lifetime?
    8. Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks

Art

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The Bolt+ doesn't work with OTA at all it a 6 tuner cable only DVR.

The Bolt does work with Cable or OTA but only one at a time it is a 4 tuner unit.

Desktop still work with the Bolt. You can sell your Premiere 4 with lifetime, the lifetime stays with the unit.

If you are certain you want an OTA DVR the Roamio OTA at $350+/- includes lifetime and is a very good OTA DVR but it only works with OTA.

I never use search.

The apps are the same for the Premieres, Roamios, & Bolts. The services you mentioned are not currently supported.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Although one can buy an inexpensive cable card adapter, do some fairly simple mods to it (basically, shaving off some plastic pieces), and put it on the Roamio OTA and end up with a cable or OTA Roamio. ;)

4. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    So basically if I am sticking with a cable service, I should get a Bolt +

If I can and want to dump cable, then I should get a Romio.

Correct?

5. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004

Advertisements

If you want to be prepared in case you dump cable, a 4-tuner Bolt does either OTA or cable, just not at the same time.

6. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Just received an email. 20% off on Bolt + today and tomorrow. Code MAROFF20

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Wow, a nice deal. Does that cover only the box, or will it cover a box plus lifetime?

8. Blakeintosh

Blakeintosh Active Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Box only. Lifetime service is still $549.99. The promo code takes $100 off the Bolt+. The only service deal that I've gotten lately is the monthly service for $12.99 or annual for $129.99.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    If I can ask - who sent the email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, I just was at tivo.com checking this out and can confirm similarly: discount applies only to the box, not to a lifetime subscription purchased with the box. :(

Also confirmed that the discount applies to all Bolt (Bolt, Bolt+) models.

11. Blakeintosh

Sep 8, 2014
    I'm in a similar situation. I took advantage of the brief Bolt+ sale that Amazon had last weekend, selling it for $370. Now I need to decide on if I want to pony up $549.99 for lifetime, or go with Annual service. If I can get the discounted $129.99 annual service on it, it would take 4 years, 3 months to hit break even on Lifetime service. Plus isn't the extended warranty included with monthly and annual service, but not Lifetime?

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Correct, TiVo's "continual care" coverage comes with the monthly and annual subscriptions, but not lifetime.

13. Blakeintosh

Sep 8, 2014
    So what are other people that have recently gotten a Bolt or Bolt+ doing? Are you going with Monthly, Annual or Lifetime service? Up until the introduction of the Bolt and the updated service plans, I always went with Lifetime. Now I'm debating if I'll ever see that kind of investment out of my Bolt+, with the demise of the CableCard looming and no clear path for TiVo to IPTV in sight.

14. remichel

remichel New Member

Jul 31, 2003
    I just received the following email from TIVO
    Transfer your Lifetime service for only $99!

The Once in a lifetime deal you've been waiting for.

For a limited time, transfer lifetime service from your TiVo Series 2 or Series 3 DVR for only $99 with a purchase of any new TiVo BOLT™1. Seriously, we've never offered a deal like this before! TiVo BOLT is the best TiVo ever! You get:

• Streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime with all your live TV and recorded content.

• SkipMode which lets you skip over entire commercial breaks at the touch of a button.

• Jaw dropping 4K quality.

The TiVo all-in service plan is regularly $550. You save $450 when you buy a new TiVo BOLT and Transfer your lifetime service for just $99! Stay on the couch, but act now!
    Offer ends April 10th.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Guess I am calling Tivo tomorrow.

Since my Tivo's last 5+ years, Lifetime makes the most sense.

16. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    krkaufman likes this.
  17. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Actually, it's $800, not $750. Still a decent deal.

18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Wow, not bad. Wish I hadn't looked. Will try to abstain.

I have one Bolt (the original white one w/much smaller HD) and I really like it a lot. If it weren't for Rovi now I would love it even more.

19. DFranch

DFranch New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Yeah, I just saw this, and I'm thinking of upgrading my Roamio Plus to the Bolt Plus. $800 is $75 less than I paid for my Roamio with lifetime 3 years ago. I've been told that the menu's and apps are much faster on the bolt vs. the Roamio. Any truth to that? If not, I'll just stick with my Roamio.

20. iReyes

iReyes New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Just got the email today as well. Annual service on my 3 year old Roamio is coming up. I think it's time for an upgrade!