Consensus on 6.3b

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jgjackson, Jan 18, 2007.

1. jgjackson

jgjackson New Member

Oct 27, 2006

Advertisements

I've been trying to follow the threads on 6.3b, but am having trouble deciding whether I should upgrade from 3.1.5f to it.

Audio Problems: The consensus seems to be that 6.3b fixed the audio problem of 6.3/6.3a.

Reboot Problems: Several posters seem to indicate that the reboot problem went away with 6.3b, others seem to indicate it is an ongoing problem. How widespread is this problem still?

Season Pass Problems: These seem to not be 6.3 related as I've had them too. Just discovered Battlestar Galactica on UHD was not in the To Do list. Don't know if I've missed any new episodes, or caught it in time. I suspect I caught it in time as the title of the story is "The Story Thus Far" or something like that... sounds like a season opening title anyway.

Overwriting New Recordings: I've seen some posters report on 6.3x failing to record new episodes, or deleting in appropriate ones when the disk is full of Tivo Suggestions. Since Tivo Suggestions is one of the "killer apps" of the Tivo, I regard this as probably the most serious problem of all. Yet, discussion of this problem has been light, so I'm unclear on whether it is universal problem, or whether maybe its a misinterpretation of the Season Pass Problems or what.

I'd really like to upgrade. Having bought my parents a series 2 for Christmas, I've played with folders and the faster interface, and really really want folders. But I'm scared to death to plug the phone line back in.

2. juliedrys

juliedrys Member

Sep 7, 2004
    As I've reported here, we had audio problems and rebooting when we got 6.3a. Audio problems stopped with 6.3b, but rebooting and freezing got worse. Several times per day.

We waited it out, and the reboots have stopped, it's been about 3-4 weeks since we've had a reboot. My best guess is that it was some kind of guide data corruption problem that eventually flushed out.

We had some quirks that could've been Season Pass problems, but I haven't outright missed any shows or had truncated recordings.

A month ago I was ready to dump DTV or look for a way to go back to the pre-folders day of 3.1.5, but now we're happy.

3. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The reboot problem and season pass problem was caused by a change in the guide data stream. As of last friday the guide data stream has been reverted back to it's old form. TiVo is working on a new release to be able to handle the change in the guide data stream.

The short recordings caused by a full drive is still a problem.

4. smimi10

smimi10 New Member

May 11, 2006
    I've had 6.3b for about a week or so now, and have had no reboots, no missed recordings, and no audio drops. I am happy with it. YMMV.

Mike S.

5. crendall

crendall New Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Wisconsin

Advertisements

Since both of my HD Tivos have been upgraded to 6.3b they have been running perfectly like they did under 3.1.5f, only faster and with folders.

6. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I was fine (albeit slow) with 3.1.5f. 6.3 introduced audio drop-outs on Fox HD/OTA broadcasts, but no other problems. Then I started getting reboots (about one every three days) during December. I got reboots for about two weeks, and then they stopped around January 1st. Hadn't got a reboot for two weeks. No season pass problems, as far as I could tell.

Forced calls daily eventually got me 6.3b about 5 days ago. No audio drop-outs since then. No season pass problems, no reboots.

That's my info, anyway.

7. divedude

divedude Bubble Blower

Oct 1, 2006
    Waxahachie, TX
    Both of my units are on 3.1.5f. I may decide to let one upgrade after the new 24 season completes.

8. xsirenonthe101x

xsirenonthe101x ..status..

Jul 10, 2006
    Summit, New...

same here.. very pleased..

9. RexB

RexB D*TiVo

Apr 25, 2004
    Whidbey...
    I plugged the phoneline back in, dl'd v6.3b just two days ago. It's working fine so far -- season passes are recording, no audio drop outs, no reboots. Whew!

10. kepper

kepper Member

Nov 28, 2003
    southern...
    Got 6.3b on last Saturday, it fixed the Fox audio dropouts. However, I had my first ever spontaneous reboot while recording Boston Legal on Tuesday night.

11. willywlam

willywlam New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    This is a dump question. To get 6.3b version, do I need to be connected to the phone line. I have never connect my DVR to a phone line. Need help in this area? I believe I am still on 3.1.5

12. henryld

henryld New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Friendswood, Tx
    Had 6.3b about 2 weeks with only one reboot and no other problems that I know of. Keeping fingers crossed.

13. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    Yes you need a phone line. But I would wait a while longer to make sure the issues are really fixed. I am still running 3.1.5 on both my units.

14. jgjackson

jgjackson New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Those of you without problems, do you have Tivo Suggestions turned on? It sounds like a lot of people aren't having the overwriting new programs problem, but I'm trying to understand if this is because their hard drive never fills up, or if it doesn't happen to everyone, even if the hard drive is full. Thx.

15. mgoddard1

mgoddard1 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Indianapolis
    No reboots here with 6.3B since directv fixed the guide data problem so I'm giving them a :up: for isolating and fixing the problem. I'm showing an uptime of over 7 days. I've never had any season pass or overwriting new recording problems but I also make sure there is space by making sure the recorded tivo suggestions never drops below 10.

16. ncsuwolfpack96

ncsuwolfpack96 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Sounds like I'm having a much harder time with 6.3b than anyone else. I wonder if maybe I have something else going on? I don't have problems with Season Passes, never have. My issue has been with spontaneous reboots and freezes. It has gotten to the point now, where if I watch anything but live TV, I can expect it to freeze at certain points during the playback. When it does freeze, if I act quickly, I can usually hit the 30-second skip and get past it. If I go back to the same spot in the recording, it does the same thing, so it appears linked to that spot of the recording. The weird thing is, while watching that same spot live, there were no issues. Do I perhaps have a hard drive problem?

17. jfoust

jfoust New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    I've got tivo suggestions turned off and haven't had any trouble with 6.3b since downloading it Wednesday night. That doesn't give me a whole lot of time with it, but so far so good.

Jeff

18. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I still have reboots and also my Todo list isnt all that navigable. Constantly bongs and reverts to previous page and doesnt let me 'do stuff' in it. For a heavy user like me, that's a serious problem

19. Orient Express

Orient Express New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    My 6.3b update came in a few days before 24 started, and has been flawless. Even the OTA signal seems to be better.

No problems at all.

20. mluntz

mluntz New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Millersville...
    Ditto for me!