Connective very old TV to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by smattz, Apr 17, 2011.

1. smattz

smattz New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Have very old NEC auto colour TV.
    I am unable to connect the TiVo to the TV.
    The TV has
    • video in and out
    • 2 x R connections
    However the Audio in and out are a different type of connection (more like the antenna connection) that I cannot connect the composite AV cable.
    When I connect the component video I can hear the TiVo but not see any picture.

Thanks smattz

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    What do you mean by "R connections"? What is the model number of this TV?

3. dmmatic

dmmatic New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Maybe R = RCA?

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I'm afraid that really makes no sense. Before we can help you, you will have to be much more clear and accurate with your setup and the terms you use to describe it.

First of all, there is no such thing as "composite A/V." Composite NTSC video, usually connected via either RCA or S-Video connectors (in consumer grade equipment: broadcast equipment usually employs BNC connectors), transports no audio. Baseband audio in consumer grade equipment is usually connected via either RCA connectors or ia 1/8" mini-plug / jack.

All TiVo models have RCA audio and video outputs, as well as S-video. Some models also have component outputs, while others have an RF output, connected via F-connector. What type of TiVo do you have?

5. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If the Connector on the Tv is two screws on the back panel, then U need a converter from coax to twin lead 300 ohm cable like what use to lead to antennas on the roof. The converter just converts the 75 ohm coax that comes out of the Tivo to the 300 ohm twin lead cable. It is just about the size of a half dollar. I.E. about an inch or two long and high and wide, and is called a F type balun.
    http://www.amazon.com/75-300-Ohm-Matching-Transformer/dp/B0002ZPIOG
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110221082613AAWZt5Q

6. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I also assume it's a Brit, or some other non-American because of the use of "colour."

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    otherwise if it had video in/out it should also have an audio input.
    Every Tv I've owned since the mid eighties has had at least an A/V input with an RCA connector.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    NEC "Auto Colour" TV sets are from the late 70's to early 80's and I believe only PAL capable with VHF/UHF tuners. The poster above who mentioned a 75 ohm adapter is correct. You would need to convert the 75 ohm coax to a 300 ohm twin lead. (And your TiVo needs to output PAL video on its RF connector.) If you give a model number for the TV we could be more accurate.