Connection Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Sherrie, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Maine
    Two questions:
    1. When TiVo is connected via phone line, does TiVo call out from our house, or call in? The reasoning I am wondering - if we use call forwarding will this interfere with the TiVo connection?

2. When TiVo is connected via computer network, does the computer have to be on to make the connection?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    All calls are outbound from the TiVo box to the service.

If the TiVo is connected to a network router which connects to your broadband network, the PC does not need to be on. The only time the computer would need to be on is if the TiVo is connected directly to the computer.

3. evilipoo

evilipoo Trust no 1

Apr 23, 2005
    So Cal
    the great thing about connecting via the network is that scheduling from the web is one of the greatest things ever! :)

I don't know if it is true, but someone told me that if you use a wireless b adapter on a g router, it can slow down any other wireless g devices you might have. don't know if this is what causes my g laptop to slow down significantly every once in a while, but a quick dis/enable of the wireless and it's up and humming again.

wireless rocks!!!

4. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Wireless b devices on a g network will slow it down. Also, if you are using connection sharing on your PC it must be on for the TiVo to use that connection.