Connection problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Tatsa, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Tatsa

Tatsa New Member

Jan 26, 2007

Advertisements

I am new to this community so please bear with me! I have a TiVo connected to my Home Network using an Ethernet cable. I can telnet in and ftp works also. When I make a test call it takes quite a while but eventually is successful. However, when I make a daily call immediately afterwards it appears to grind away for a considerable time and then fail with different error messages from time to time, sometimes the number is not recognised and sometimes the service is said to be not available. I have a lifetime subscription which is still showing as valid. Does anybody have any ideas why a test call works but daily calls will not? Quickly running out of program data!!

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Who is your ISP?
    Some NTL users seem to have been having problems in recent months with their Tivo's

Automan.

3. Tatsa

Tatsa New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm on broadband with BT not NTL cable.

4. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Do you have TivoWeb and if so does it have a menu item in it called Startup Editor? This is an add on utility developed by forum member sanderton to edit the file that loads various utilities like Tivoweb at system startup

To avoid the problem with the daily call failing when using internet data downloading you need to make sure your each of your rc.sysinit.author or rc.sysinit.author.edit (the one the Startup Editor utility edits) command lines ends with preferably >/dev/null 2>&1 & or at least an & sign. If the lines don't have this ending then these utilities aren't properly backgrounded and interferes with the operation of main Tivo applications such as the Daily Call.

You can find out how to install this Edit Startup Script editor and other TivoWeb add on files at http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TiVoWeb Modules

Be careful about editing the rc.sysinit.author startup file by other means such as via the Joe editor as if you accoidentally save Dos line returns in it etc you can leave it in a state where your Tivo won't start up at all.

5. Tatsa

Tatsa New Member

Jan 26, 2007

Advertisements

Yes I do have Tivoweb and Startup Editor installed. The latter reads as follows

#!/bin/bash
    /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb
    /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/modules/endpad.tcl -s 1 -e 3 -auto >> /dev/null 2>&1 &

Any ideas where the problem may be ?
    Thanks so much for the detailed answer but I'm not too sure I'm on the same level as most of the people on this site - I'm pretty dumb when it comes to programming type stuff. All help greatfully received !

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I would replace the second and third lines with the following:-

/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/modules/endpad.tcl -s 1 -e 3 -auto >/dev/null 2>&1 &

The main issue is that the backgrounding command (>/dev/null 2>&1 &) isn't being used to call Tivoweb but it also doesn't seem to be right in the endpad line either in your version.

7. yungee

yungee Tivo Gods Worshipper

Dec 29, 2002
    South...
    My Tivo simply won't make a daily call via the network connection without the "transparent proxy" modification. Probably worth a try for you.

http://www.freeranger.co.uk/TiVo/HowTo.htm

Look down the page for "Hacking the Ident.itcl file"

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    More likely to be the first mentioned issue though, although I agree its worth trying the proxy fix too if the rc.sysinit.author.edit file modifications through TivoWeb Startup Editor don't work.