Connecting wires on large, immovable TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DonWidmore, Aug 2, 2007.

1. DonWidmore

DonWidmore Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Pardon the rambling nature of this post. I want to bounce ideas off people...

I have a large 36 in tv that required 2 people to install in my wardrobe-style tv cabinet. When we installed it we ran a single coaxial cable from the cable box into the TV. I ran my DVD player into the cable box. Since then I added Tivo Series 2 and replaced the comcast cable box. Tivo is running straight into the cable box and the dual tuner is using the RCA in.

Has anyone:
    1. tried to attach a DVD player where they had no access to the coax in on the back of the TV? Where did you attach it?

I may rephrase this question later...

thanks,

Don

2. danstyk

danstyk New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Sounds like you may have the connections backwards, though I could have read you wrong. There is no need for a dvd player to go INTO a cable box, nor should the cable go into the dvd player, unless it is a dvd-recorder. How many inputs does your TV have? It should have a coax input for the cable box, and at least one set of RCA jacks for the dvd. If there is an S-video jack on both, use that along with the red-white audio jacks.

Ideally you would want 2 inputs on the tv in addition to coax cable. One for tivo, one for your dvd player. You can also get a cheap rca splitter, plug both into it, and switch back and forth if you only have one input.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can use an RF modulator to run the DVD player onto the coax.

Although you should hire the muscle again, pull the TV out, and run the proper A/V connections for the best picture.

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    move it hook up all the cables you can and dangle them somewhere you can reach

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you are using a coax connection from anything but 'straight from the wall' (to use the TV's tuner), you are getting mono audio.

6. DonWidmore

DonWidmore Member

Dec 27, 2006
    yeah, I tried to move the TV to get to the back and it almost fell. I'm going to have to get friends over to get to the connections on the back.

7. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Can't you put another table in front of the wardrobe temporarily? Then you can just slide the tv out onto the table and work on the cables.

8. usnret

usnret New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NW Ohio
    thats what I did when I had to rerun cables to my 36 inch Panny hdtv (weighs 170lbs). Just keep the table between u and the tv and slide it out (it helps to have a blanket on the table too. the tv slides better

9. DonWidmore

DonWidmore Member

Dec 27, 2006
    in fact yes, the table idea worked perfectly. I didn't have the right size table upstairs, so I wasn't "thinking outside the box" However with the table to rest it on, the procedure took about 3 minutes and everything works great.