Connecting Wireless with Verizon DSL

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by amys13, May 23, 2005.

1. amys13

amys13 New Member

May 23, 2005
    I am trying to connect my series2 Tivo to a wireless network. I have Verizon DSL, a Westell Versalink 327 modem/router, and am using the Netgear USB wireless adapter available through the Tivo site.

When I configure the TCP/IP settings, it gives two separate error messages depending on my choices:

1. If I select obtain an IP address automatically, the error message states that the DHCP server cannot be found.

2. If I select use a static IP address, the error message states that the gateway cannot be found.

I have talked to tech support at both Verizon Online and Tivo and neither is sure how to fix the problem. My latest conversation with Tivo revealed an incompatability between Verizon/Westell and Tivo. They suggested that I get the DHCP Client ID from Verizon, but when I talk to Verizon they do not know what that is. Otherwise, they suggested a software download for my computer, but I am unclear how that will impact my router and/or Tivo.

I know that I can't be the only Verizon DSL customer who has tried to connect Tivo to a wireless network, so I'm hoping that someone will have advice on next steps that I can take.

Thanks.

2. TSean007

TSean007 New Member

May 24, 2005
    I am having the exact same problem, so you are not alone. I just got Verizon DSL as well. As for the DHCP Client ID, at your desktop (I presume) and from the start-run- type cmd. Then type ipconfig/all (windows XP and 2000), and I think there is a DHCP id in there. Let me know if you get any further.

Thanks,

3. bud8man

bud8man Tivo Evangelist

Feb 12, 2004
    Oakland, NJ
    Have you tried to hook up a computer wireless? Any luck?
    If not, disconnect your PC ethernet cable, and configure the wireless USB device on your PC and see if it works.
    If the PC works and TiVo does not then you have an issue with TiVo...

4. amys13

amys13 New Member

May 23, 2005
    The adapter works fine. I looked up the DHCP information mentioned in the previous post but it didn't work. When I asked Verizon about it, they said that their DSL operates on a PPoE system instead of DHCP so the DHCP Client ID is not something that they can provide. They also said that I cannot use a single static IP because I am not a business customer.

Tivo still doesn't know how to connect to a PPoE network and seems confused when I even ask the question. I'm tired of both Tivo and Verizon giving me the run around, each placing responsibility on the other to figure it out. I also tried calling Westell, the modem/router manufacturer, but they don't support their products if they have been used by Verizon. I can't be the only one with this issue since I'm using a major ISP...if anyone has an idea of next steps, please let me know.

Thanks you, thank you.

5. bud8man

bud8man Tivo Evangelist

Feb 12, 2004
    Oakland, NJ
    Um...I have TiVo hooked up with Verizon DSL but I have a Westell Modem and a Linksys and a Netgear Router.
    If the router is indeed a router it should be able to connect to the Verizon DSL via PPoE connection.
    Then, it should be able to hand out address as a DHCP router.
    Is this your unit?
    http://westell.com/content/products/pdf/versalink.pdf

6. amys13

amys13 New Member

May 23, 2005
    Yes, that is the unit - it is a modem/router combo. I also have a Linksys router that is not hooked up - I didn't think that I needed it with the Westell. Should I be using that in addition to the Westell? I'm not sure how I would hook it up - perhaps disable the wireless from the Westell?

This is helpful - any other advice you have would be great.

Thanks.

7. bud8man

bud8man Tivo Evangelist

Feb 12, 2004
    Oakland, NJ
    Well if you are having trouble with the DHCP settings on the Westell I would give it a try.
    Now since the Westell is a modem and also a router I would disable the wireless like you suggested.
    If you used the wireless linksys with verizon dsl before you are gonna have to reset the settings so that the router get's it's IP address automatically from the Westell I think instead of a PPoE setup for the router.

8. TSean007

TSean007 New Member

May 24, 2005
    amys13, I was just messing with this same problem last night. I got the TIVO to see and connect to my wireless network using the Westell modem/router provided by Verizon DSL, but ONLY when I turned the WEP off. No matter what I tried, the TIVO would not see the network with WEP on. I am considering going back to my Netgear router and just using the Westell as a bridge, since it worked fine with TIVO before. Also the signal strength with this Westell router is much weaker than the Netgear.

9. amys13

amys13 New Member

May 23, 2005
    thanks for the feedback - i'll try these suggestions when i get home tonight. TSean007 - i'll keep you posted and hopefully we can find a solution!

thanks

10. bud8man

bud8man Tivo Evangelist

Feb 12, 2004
    Oakland, NJ
    AHHH
    WEP
    From the archives...

tpage10-26-2004, 12:34 AM
    I created a wep key on my Linkys wireless router which uses a Linkys wireless adapter to connect to each TIVO. Prior to enabling the wep key, my TIVO was working just fine. After enabling the web key which gave me "unknown errrors" and then trying the hexadexal code, paraphrase, encrytion...which also gives me "unknown errors" upon trying to test the connection.

Is there a TIVO firmware patch available to help me resolve this issue or is there something else I can do to correct it? My TIVO connection works fine with the wireless router and adapters as long as the wep key is NOT enabled but I really need to enable it to secure my network.

Please help.

Thanks alot:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bedelman10-26-2004, 01:57 AM
    Use the Hexadecimal code in the TiVo and make sure you have it keyed in correctly. Also make sure you have it keyed into the Hex key area (and not the regular pass phrase area) as well as selecting the appropriate encryption level (40 bit, 128 bit, etc.) if you're presented with that option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEFFO10-27-2004, 05:47 AM
    I use (on my WRTG Linksys) 64bit 10Hex digits - something simple like AABBCCDDEE - place into Key1
    Default Transmit Key =1
    Wireless MAC Filter=Disable
    Wireless Network Mode:Mixed
    Wireless Network Name (SSID):ANDROMEDA
    Wireless SSID Broadcast:Broadcast
    Channel: 8

Teff

11. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I have this same Verizon/Westell configuration. It works with WEP off, but I cannot get it to work at all with WEP on, after many hours of trying everything. Also, the signal strength is very poor. Nothing I do with the 2-inch antenna seems to make any difference.

12. amys13

amys13 New Member

May 23, 2005
    after much trying, i gave up and sent my wireless adapter back. even with the wep key off and with the linksys router worked into the chain, i still could not get it to recognize the dhcp server. the 50ft phone cord stapled to the baseboard of my living room is much less of a hassle.

sorry i couldn't be of more help to those of you having the same issue!

13. Nfuego

Nfuego Finally-My ugly mug

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...

Getting a DHCP Address from the network has NOTHING to do with your DSL Service.

I am assuming that your modem/router is wireless. The configuration you need to access is in that unit. Make sure DHCP is on. If WEP is on, you need that code. Make sure MAC Address filtering is not on. If it is, you need the MAC Address of your wireless adapter from the TiVo and authorize that address in your router/modem.

14. Nfuego

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...
    Once again, this has NOTHING to do with your DSL. Your DSL connects to the outside world with the router. Your router connects to each pc/unit in your network.

15. Nfuego

Sep 27, 2004
    Springfield,...
    This is not advisable. All you have to do is enter the WEP code on the TiVo to connect using WEP. WEP is a way to keep the whole neighborhood from using your connection.

16. DCDivenut

DCDivenut New Member

Sep 16, 2003

I have the exact same problem as you and I have just spent most of the day on the phone with the same parties with the same degree of success you have had.. NONE... Tivo says that they do not support combo modem/routers, Verizon says their end works fine since I can access the 'Net, and Westell says they do not provide end user support!

I am totally frustrated as well but I have a question for you.... What version software are you running? I had 7.1a and it seemed to work but I got an "upgrade to 7.1b and now it does not at all. I am wondering if that could be the "source" since there have been so many other problems with this version.

I live in downtown DC and so I am not real thrilled with the prospect of running an open network here. I was going to try to see if I could piggyback on a neighbor but none of them have a strong enough signal on an unlocked network.

ARGHHHH!! I hate Comcast but that DVR is looking better and better.

17. jrsygrl1

jrsygrl1 New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I know this is an old post - but if you have Verizon DSL/Versalink and can't get it to work and are frustrated with the finger pointing between Verizon and Tivo you may end up here.

This post was very helpful (thanks to everyone!!!) Here are some other things that are helpful and seemed to work:

1. If you have any 2.4 GHz devices (like cordless phones) get rid of them. They worked OK with my regular wireless network until I added the Tivo.
    2. Make sure you are using a hex WEP key. If you followed Verizon's suggestion and used a non-hex key you'll need to change it in the router and the network connection.

Good luck!

18. greensnakes3

greensnakes3 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    I was having the same problem as others in regards to this modem/router. Connection problems with the wireless network,not finding the ip address,and so on drove me crazy trying to find the cause. Well, i dug up my older westell modem that i aquired years ago from Verizon and went out and bought a Linksys wireless g router. Everything works great now and a greater,faster connection with wireless. Take my word for it, the Westell Versalink model 327w is a piece of junk!

ThankYou :)

19. gchu

gchu New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Anyone ever get this working? I just got my Tivo and was hoping to get it to hook up but it did not....

20. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    No problems connecting thru a Westell Versalink model 327w. I have one DirecTivo wired and one connecting wirelessly thru a Zyxel P330W in wireless bridge mode. I didn't do anything special for setup - it just works.