Connecting to TiVo Service problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Gordon Potter, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Gordon Potter

Gordon Potter New Member

Apr 3, 2018

Advertisements

I am confused - got my Bolt, Bridge, Tuning Adapter and Cable Card today. Worked through the physical connections. I can watch live TV - and not much else. I can not record. I have a TV Guide.

When I drill into the Menu; Settings; Network Settings I see a screen that says the TiVo Connection Succeeded. (See image). When I attempt to record a series with the OnePass system there is no obvious success. When I click on the "i" button there is a message on the bottom of the screen saying "TiVo Service Unavailable" (See image)

I have spoken with TiVo customer support and they say I am activated.

I have clicked on the TiVo Service Connection item and it runs through a download and load process. I have tried removing power from the Bolt Box to force a reboot without any changes.

Any suggestions?
    IMG_0283.jpg IMG_0285.jpg

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What does System Information screen say on the Tivo Service number? Have you swapped hard drives?

3. Gordon Potter

Gordon Potter New Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I am brand new to TiVo. So no I have not done anything with hard drives.

The System information says I am connected - giving the time and date I last pressed the 'i' button on the remote.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Does the System Information screen say you have a Tivo service number and not ZEROs? It would be under Menu Settings/Help/System Information (approximate for Hydra.)

I did not ask if you are connected or not.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

"System Information" is not just the screen displayed when you click the "Info" button while playing content.

See: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Accessing-the-System-Information-Screen

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Based on the screenshots, it appears that your box is running the new UI, Hydra (aka gen4, TiVo Experience 4, TE4, version 21.*) -- and the software isn't without flaws. As a new user with a brand new setup, one option to consider is reverting your software back to the previous UI version -- though at the cost of any existing recordings and settings (including CableCARD & TA pairings), as the downgrade process involves a factory reset of the box. But it may be worth it.

One pro is that if you get things working under the previous UI, recordings and settings are maintained when upgrading to Hydra. (It's easier to upgrade than downgrade.)

p.s. If interested, see this thread for how to do so: How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The symptoms you are having are similar to:

1. Swapping hard drives with another similar model. Tivo service number then becomes all ZEROs.
    2. Not having a Tivo service plan. Tivo only gives you up to 7 days.
    3. Something happened with the service plan (it happens.)
    4. you didn't sign up for a service plan (required after the initial days.)
    5. if you bought a TiVo with included service, call to activate.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Mikeguy and jmbach like this.