Connecting TiVo's for the sake of updates - how often?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tvmaster2, Jan 27, 2020.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    For the purpose of keeping a TiVo active so when there are promotions they can be used for exchanges, how often would most of you connect to the TiVo service and update your listings, once a month, once a quarter or every six months?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    If you search on hear you will find recommendations on this topic, I don't want to provide a quote and be wrong.

3. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Past promotions required the TiVo to have "phoned home" within a year prior to the start of the promotion. So, connecting quarterly ought to be sufficient.

tapokata likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    KISS. On the last day of the month apply power. On the first day of the month remove power. A service connection is always made within 30 minutes of a restart or application of power, so before removing power verify the last connection worked. This can be seen in Network Settings.

tvmaster2 likes this.
  5. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I pull my Series2 out of the attic every 6 months and force two connections. Takes about 20 minutes. Kinda nostalgic seeing the intro animation too.

Balzer and tvmaster2 like this.
  6. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I have been doing this once a year for over 10 years, and have always been eligible for every promotion.