Connecting Tivo to Wireless College Campus System??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mdrivera, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Mdrivera

Mdrivera New Member

Jan 18, 2006

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am sure you have seen a lot of different things about wireless connection issues but I think I have something new since I really couldn't find anything to help me out.

Well I have a brand new Series 2 Tivo that I got for christmas and am trying to connect it to the wireless network here at school. I have been given the OK by the school to do this but they asked for the MAC address and I wasn't sure if it was the one for the Dell 1180 USB Wireless adaptor I have or the Tivo's.

But, that isn't the part I am worried about. You see, the MAC address being put into the system just allows the hardware to have the ability to connect to the network but in order to officially connect, my credentials (i.e. user name and password) must be entered. Does anyone know how to do this through the Tivo? The network has WPA authentication, TKIP data encryption, and Protected EAP

Also, is there anyone in the Richmond VA area that would be willing to help in upgrading my system? I really have no time to do it and not much money to pay the person since I just shelled out $643 for books on Monday. Any and all help would be appreciated

Thanks everyone.

2. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    tivo does not support WPA at this time.

if you have a wired connection someplace you could plug in a wireless access point and create your own wireless network or you could plug the tivo into the wired network using a wired usb to ethernet connector.

3. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    I had a similar situation - no way to authenticate my TiVo on either the wired or wireless network on my campus. My solution? Throw a second ethernet card in my PC and use Internet Connection Sharing in XP to make the following connection:
    TiVo -> ethernet/USB adapter -> crossover cable -> ethernet card #2 -> PC -> ethernet card #1 -> campus network
    If you have a laptop that can connect wirelessly to your campus network, you can just use its ethernet jack to connect your TiVo for connection sharing. Make sure you have crossover cable, not regular patch cable, running from the TiVo to the PC.