Connecting Tivo to VCR

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by MaineMatt, Jul 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MaineMatt

MaineMatt New Member

Jul 1, 2020

Advertisements

Hello,

We have a Tivo Bolt and I want to be able to move programs from the Tivo to a tape.

I have tried a few combinations. In all attempts, I have the HDMI out split, going to the TV and to the VCR. For the HDMI to connect to the VCR, I tried converting it to the three RCA cables and plugging those into the input jacks and that did not work. I now have tried converting the RCA to coaxial, so now the output from the TIVO is HDMI to RCA cable to coaxial, and that doesn't seem to work.

I do have the VCR connected to the TV with the three RCA cables and can view tapes without a problem. It's just getting the signal from the Tivo to the VCR is the issue. I seem to remember in the old days something about channel 3 or 4 and viewing channels through the VCR, but it's all hazy. There has to be a way to just get a signal coming in to the VCR without bothering with the channel options on the VCR.

The VCR is a Kenwood KV-905 and the TV is a modern one with all the current input jacks. I don't know a lot of about these things, so I might need these things explained very simply!

Thanks!

Matt

2. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Your hdmi to RCA cable simply functions as a signal transfer cable -- not a signal converter cable. The digital signal from the TiVo is not going to be compatible with the analog inputs of the VCR. You will need an HDMI to RCA adapter.

The other question is why go down this path? Even with converting - the results will look pretty ugly visually. Is there no better means? Simply converting to mp4 or mkv and storing on a flash drive that could be played by cheap media players plugged into the TV?

UCLABB likes this.
  3. MaineMatt

MaineMatt New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Hi, eherberg,

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm...I do have converter boxes plugged into a power source for each transition, but I forgot to mention that.

But to answer your question, I actually thought this would be easier. I used to be able to move programs from my Tivo Premiere to my old MacBook, but that method stopped working a long time ago and I have since replaced both devices. I have no idea anymore how to move programs from the Tivo to a computer. But I have a really nice VCR and it seemed to be a simple matter of finding the right cable combination. But I guess not!

Thanks! Matt

4. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Grab a copy of KMTTG and get it running (it's not as hard as it looks) - and you can go back to downloading the stuff to your computer.

New program for 1 step TTG downloads, decryption, encoding - kmttg

5. Rodney

Rodney TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Jan 26, 2002
    The...

Advertisements

If your on a Mac, I would recommend CTiVo. It's free, pretty simple to use, and works fine for me.

6. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Transferring the recorded shows to your computer will have no loss in picture quality, and some TV's have a built-in media player that will play files on a USB stick eliminating the need for another box to play the files.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    To copy the recordings to the VCR you will have to play the show on the Tivo and copy in real time. A 2 hour movie will take 2 hours to copy. You won't be able to watch a show using the Tivo while you are copying.