Connecting Tivo Roamio to cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ajvstaton, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ajvstaton

ajvstaton New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Hello, I have a Tivo Roamio and a Comcast/Xfinity modem. I need to connect my coax cable from the wall to the Tivo AND from the wall to the modem to maintain internet access. Do I just need a 2-way cable splitter? Do I need a POE filter and/or components for MoCA?

Or do I need something completely different? Sorry not my strong point and neither Comcast nor Tivo have been any help.
    Thanks

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    What model Roamio? Where is router? Will it be next to the Roamio? If not, is your home wired with Ethernet?

Yes, a splitter will be fine for the coax, but the Roamio needs to have Internet access, hence the questions.

3. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Technically you should have a dedicate cable run for the cable modem from the POE (Point of Entry.) That said, you can most likely get by with a splitter inside the room to provide access to both. If you start having Cable Modem issues, it would likely be because of not enough signal strength because you most likely have multiple splitters between the POE and where the cable modem is (hence the requirement by the cable company to have a dedicate line feed by a 2-way splitter at the POE to the cable modem.)

As for MoCA, are you using a TiVo Mini? Do you plan on providing internet access to your TiVo via Moca (i.e. have a MoCA adapter and plan to do so?) If not then you don't need to worry about MoCA or a MoCA POE Filter, it's only needed if you plan on providing a MoCA network access, which many people who use the TiVo Mini do as it's generally the easiest, most cost effective way to provide a wired network access to the Mini for many people. Again, if you're not doing this, there's no need for you to do MoCA.