Connecting Tivo Minis: Ethernet, Moca or 5Ghz Wi-Fi adapter (which is better?)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by riffjim4069, Mar 21, 2020.

1. riffjim4069

riffjim4069 Member

Oct 8, 2007
    We're coming back to cable and I need some advice about the mini. We moved to a new home back in 2018 and, sadly, the only option was AT&T (stellar internet, shitting TV) so our 5 Tivo DVRs (with Lifetime) and 2 minis were shelved ,and we've been using less-than-stellar Youtube TV and other subpar streaming options the past two years.

We now have a traditional cable provider in the area, so we just signed up for TV and 1Gb Internet. I'm retiring our two (2) Premiere DVR, so 2 Bolt+ DVRs and 1 Roamio Pro are being deployed. So we'll have 18-tuners and 11TB of storage after re-purposing the two 1TB DVR Expanders from the Premieres.

I just ordered/received a Mini VOX w/USB Wi-FI, and have a Mini (version 1) and Mini (version 2); total of 3 minis. I had planned to install the Mini VOX on the patio w/Wi-Fi, and the two Minis in bedrooms using Ethernet. Is this the most efficient configuration?

-I can run Cat5e or RG6 to the patio Mini (nothing there right now) so is the 5Ghz Wi-Fi good to stream without issues (I just installed a new Asus RT-AC5300 router and I get 100+ Mb on the patio with the laptop)?

-I kinda recall having issues with Moca reliability on one or both the older Minis. Is this still an issue and is it wise to use Ethernet over Moca for the minis? Also, does the 5Ghz USB work with the Ver 1 and/or Ver 2 mini? If so, is it reliable...or just stick with Ethernet?

For simplicity sake, ethernet to the minis would be my preference. However, my honey and I work from home and we're connecting multiple computers via VPN to company intranets, in addition to our other family laptops chewing. Can I trust Moca? If so, this will keep a lot of traffic away from the switch/router...and work comes first. Thanks.

P.S. We are massively excited to be using our Tivos. I cannot tell you how much we have missed using them on a daily basis.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Minis will not connect to Wifi, even 5G is too slow for Mini streaming. There is not even a network settings for wifi.

Moca is just as fast as Ethernet networking, its just like an extension. Moca simply is ethernet networking using coax lines. They do not interfere with TV signals as they are on a higher bandwidth.

I have ATT fiber optic on a 100mb plan and would not need the extra speed of 1g.
    I also have a PS4 Pro which was getting 15mb/s on 5G wireless and a Reg. PS4 which got 5mb/s on Wireless N

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  3. Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I use Google WiFi with the 3 pucks and plug my older mini to Ethernet port. Works well.

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The preference for reliable performance has always been Ethernet->MoCA->Powerline->WiFi. IOW always go wired first, WiFi last.

I use MoCA for my 3 V1 Minis with the Roamio as the bridge, absolutely no issues for years now.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  6. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I would go with your plan since you have the WiFi 5 USB adapter for the Mini Vox already. Give it a try and see if it meets your performance requirements. Run the Ethernet for the other Minis.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It all depends upon the robustness of one's setup--people have been connecting Mini boxes to WiFi bridges for years, successfully. YMMV.

JoeKustra and Teavo like this.
  8. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Aren't they selling the mini with a wifi adapter right now in the Bracket Buster?

9. Rick Sira

Rick Sira VP1155

Mar 24, 2020
    Recently I connected a mini with the wifi adaptor. So far, all is good.

10. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Perhaps I just have better luck, or it's because I don't stream 4K on it (it's an A93 mini) but I've been using a TPlink Nano N-300 (2.4ghz only) with mine about 15 feet from the nearest AP (fed by a MoCa link to the primary switch, where the host tivo resides) and have had no trouble at all.

11. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I found a powerline gigabit setup worked best in my house. Easy to setup.

dianebrat likes this.
  12. riffjim4069

riffjim4069 Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Thanks everyone! Running coax through the attic, and fishing it through the tall walls, turned into a huge pain since rolled, blown and foam insulation was laid after the Cat5E was installed...and let's not even get into the plywood sheathing along with the fact the builder did not take the most logical/orderly routes.

Anyway, I ran coax to all three of the Tivo DVRs (2 Bolt+ and 1 Roamio), I'm using the two Minis with existing Cat5e (decided there was no way I wanted to fish coax through two more walls)...and they work great. I picked-up a Mini VOX/Wifi adapter as part of Tivo's Bracket Buster deal for when we install a patio TV in a month or two. I'm not a big fan of streaming Wifi, so I managed to install coax...just in case.

kpeters59 likes this.