Connecting through my laptop's internet connection?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tyrannosaurus607, Jan 17, 2012.

1. tyrannosaurus607

tyrannosaurus607 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Help!!

Back in August, when I bought my Tivo Premiere, I was able to connect it using an ethernet cable to my laptop. My only internet source is my phone's 4G wifi hotspot feature.

I recently bought a new laptop, and I cannot remember or figure out how I did it before.

Can someone please help me? I know it had something to do with establishing an ad hoc network in the Network and Sharing Center, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did!!!

I have Windows 7 Home.

I haven't had any guide information for the last week as I've been wracking my brains trying to figure it out, and I just can't.

Edit: I have tried searching for the answer to this in this forum and also on Google, and can't find anything.

Someone please help!!

2. tyrannosaurus607

Jan 17, 2012
    Never mind.

I found out how to do it. It works perfectly, no thanks to anyone here.

Since no one could be bothered to help me, I guess I won't bother to tell anyone how to do it.

Thanks for nothing.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Oh, gee, your expertise will be grreatly missed. :rolleyes:

You hardly waited 2 1/2 hours before whining about how no one here responded to you on a moment's notice. You got as much technical support as you paid for, so do yourself a favor and drop the childish attitude.

What puzzles me, though, is the implcation that either you think you are hurting those of us who already knew the answer, or that for some reason those who did not know the answer deserve to be pushined for not answering.

4. tyrannosaurus607

Jan 17, 2012
    Ha ha ha. Interesting that supposedly someone who knew the answer didn't bother responding until 15 minutes after I posted my last remark.

Whatever dude.

Have fun with your little Tivo forum.

I'm out.

5. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Since I went to all the trouble to research and write this, I'll resist the urge to delete it, and post it for the benefit of non-ingrates:

Windows 7 does come with "Internet sharing" software, so you can use your Windows machine as an Internet router.

I have a EV-DO ("3G") radio that plugs into a USB port, and a built-in Wi-Fi radio to use on the WAN side, depending on network availability. I can run an Ethernet cable from the PC to a TiVo or some other device to give it Internet access via a Wi-Fi hotspot or my cellular company's IP network. Note that it is possible to use some Wi-Fi devices to run a Wi-Fi hotspot, this isn't supported by Windows.

If your phone has a Wi-Fi hotspot built into it, you can establish a Wi-Fi session between your phone and your computer, then open the Network and Sharing Center and look for the "Connections: ..." line for your Wi-Fi network in the View your active networks area. This should bring up a Status dialog box (mine says "Local Area Connection" because it's on Ethernet) with a Properties button. Clicking the Properties button will bring up another dialog box with two tabs: Network and Sharing. When you select the Sharing tab you'll see the Internet Connection Sharing settings.

From there you check the check box, select your Ethernet port as your Home networking connection, and if needed, open up the firewall to the services that the TiVo needs. IIRC it still uses HTTP port 80 for updates.

If your laptop doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet, you may need a crossover cable or adapter that turns a regular Ethernet cable into a crossover cable. All Gigabit ports and some newer Fast Ethernet ports can auto-detect and configure themselves to work with either type of cable. If your laptop doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet and you're not seeing flashing lights (or packet numbers growing in the Activity area of the Properties dialog box), then you might need a crossover cable. If you don't have any crossover cables, but have at least two regular Ethernet cables and an Ethernet switch, you can use the switch instead.

If your phone's Wi-Fi hotspot doesn't work, or you're using a different phone, you can buy adapter cables for some phones (sometimes extra software is needed) to make your cellphone act like an old-fashioned modem.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    There's the rub. Responding to such garbage in the manner it deserves doesn't benefit the many people who do deserve reasonable consideration. My hat is off to you for being the better man than I, albeit perhaps marginally. You did, after all, almost delete your message. :)

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Speed- I suggest that you do the following, on principle:

Start a new instructional post, as you clearly are willing to help those who cannot help themselves. Next, delete the information above in this post. This OP joker is an a$$ who does not deserve your help and I would hate for others to search this topic and see his disrespect while finding the useful data you compiled.

8. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I was tempted, but because I wrote it for a broader audience than just the OP, I knew that the best revenge can be helping somebody with one of the similar problems before they even have to ask for help. :D

9. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I hear you, but IMHO some people aren't worth the effort it takes to spite them.

If I got a regular paycheck for wreaking God's (or karma's etc.) vengeance, I'd feel more motivated. ;)

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    At the risk of feeding a troll:

It's not interesting, at all. First of all, if you had actually done even a small amount of the research in this forum you claim to have done, you not only would have found the answer to your question, you probably would also have run across my name enough times to have a good idea of my CV.

More to the point, though, most of us, regardless of our experience or expertise, do not sit steely-eyed hours on end waiting for someone to post a technical help request in this forum. Most of us check the web once or twice a day, often in the evening, when we get a few minutes to take a look. No matter how often or how long we participate in the forum, however, we do so strictly as volunteers who enjoy the experience here. None of us have any responsibility to you or anyone else for our conduct or any alacrity - or lack thereof - in reponding to a request for help.

We shall attempt to bear up under the load of our responsibility for inducing you to leave. I don't know how we will ever manage.

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Nonsense! The Internet should have a permanent record of the fact that tyrannosaurus607 is a jerk.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Oh, I don't know. Such <ahem> individuals do provide some entertainment value. Over on the "other" TiVo forum, there is an area called "The Sewer", where the mods send entire threads they deem worthless. The threads are often very amusing.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    He's also compensating for something. Tyrannosaurus... right. 'More like Nemicolopterus (about the size of a pigeon).

14. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Actually, more like Nincompoopous.:D

15. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I didn't know that could be done. Do you get any nag screens if you only connect once a day on broadband?