Connecting stereo to Tivo Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by idearz, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Aug 3, 2017 #1 of 14
    idearz

idearz New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I have a Rotel 1520 integrated amplifier that I want to hook up to my tivo bolt. My older version Premiere XL used a red and white cable connection. The new Bolt does not use this connection. How do I connect my amp to the tivo bolt using the red and white connectors?

2. Aug 3, 2017 #2 of 14
  3. Aug 3, 2017 #3 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Why are you using the older analog 2 channel White|Left/ Red|Right audio?

What other connect ports are available on the devices? Can you use HDMI or optical?

4. idearz

idearz New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Just got my tivo bolt. Tried hooking up amp to it using breakout cable, no optical nor hdmi. I have four speakers, two front, two rear. Worked and sounded great on my old tivo premiere xl, but I can only get front speakers to sound. Any thoughts?

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are using the breakout cable, audio is only 2 channels, left and Right. Its the best that can be done since its analog audio. You would need to update your audio system and use digital audio and toslink connection. Then you would get at least 5.1. the .1 is the front center for speech.

6. idearz

idearz New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Darn, I love my Rotel amp. Any thoughts on an upgrade?

7. idearz

idearz New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Could I use:
    Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA With 3.5mm Audio Jack Audio Converter

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The .1 is used for the sub-woofer. 5 is the front L-R, rear surround L-R, and center.

5.1 surround sound - Wikipedia

9. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Perhaps with your particular situation you buy just a "better" sound-bar for use by the Bolt and maybe even the TV if it's a newer display. I don't use a sound-bar but I do have a Bose CineMate SR1 that I have used in a spare room with all of my previous TiVo. I'd think you might enjoy a "better" sound-bar.

I'd maybe visit a Best Buy and do a listen to a few. Their return policy would allow you a pretty good in-home audition I'd think. If you enjoy the Rotel for audio leave it "as-is"!!

Do you have room for the sound-bar?

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It would be the same 2 channels, analog.

11. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I'm puzzled how you got 4 channels of sound from a Premiere XL using a standard red/white stereo speaker cable.

How do you have your speakers hooked up? Is one set A and the other B? Maybe you ran both A and B at the same time?

Why don't you post a picture of the front and back of your Rotel.

Depending on what integrated amplifier you get you may be able to still use your Rotel. With my Yamaha integrated amp that has 7.1 sound I was still able to use my Adcom amp to power the left and right speakers. The Yamaha took care of the rest.

12. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    You should seriously consider upgrading your audio system. You have a Rotel amp. This tells me you care about the quality of your sound. (I'm curious what speakers you have.) However, times change. If you want to really enjoy the high quality surround sound that comes with almost all video media these you should really upgrade to a A/V amplifier.

I can't believe you wouldn't appreciate the improvement in sound.

13. idearz

idearz New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I fixed it. Yahoo. Purchased the tivo breakout cable, no good. Then purchased analog to digital optical converter. Also no good. Finally purchased, on a whim,
    AmazonBasics 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter Cable
    It worked. Now that can listen to my L/R A/B B&W speakers with my Rotel amp. Thanks everyone.