Connecting; MoCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by skid71, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Sep 25, 2020 #1 of 143
    skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013

Advertisements

I could really use some guidance.
    Setup:
    Roamio Pro; x2 Mini; ethernet cable from switch to Roamio Pro)
    Use MoCA (ethernet cable from switch runs to Roamio Pro)
    The Roamio and both Minis were working fine before the Xfinity tech roll.
    This was to resolve a WiFi issue (ironically, it's fixed now)
    I'm blind (literally) and unplugged the ethernet cable from the modem to the router, which of course rendered the Minis without connection. I didn't realize my mistake at this time, and switched the Pro from MoCA/Ethernet to WiFi. Which, of course, still left the Minis without a connection, but I changed the connection settings on the Roamio. Once I realized my mistake (unplugging the ethernet cable from the modem to the router), I changed the Roamio settings back to MoCA/Ethernet. But still, the Minis do not have a connection.

I tried (Mini) > RESET DEFAULTS > GUIDED SETUP > NETWORK CONNECTION > MOCA
    It attempts to connect, but no luck.

I don't want to continue further, thinking I don't want to f*#k something else up and came here.
    Am I missing something? I did NOT rrun guided setup on the Roamio, I only changed the network settings back to MoCA/Ethernet, and switched security key to no security.

No physical connections changed on either Mini.
    It's been a day.
    Any guidance or direction would be extremely appreciated.
    Jeff

2. Sep 25, 2020 #2 of 143
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need to connect back to the modem and router. They all need internet access. Switching to and from Moca will not help anything since they all require internet to be able to access your devices even though its on the same network.

skid71 likes this.
  3. Sep 26, 2020 #3 of 143
    skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Ensured the Roamio is connected via coax and ethernet.
    After digging up a TiVo help article, Guides|How To|Get Connected| How to connect to your home network I think I need to run the Roamio through Guided Setup once again. It looks like when going through Guided Setup on the Roamio, I need to choose ethernet as connection type. Then after Guided Setup is finished, go back in to Settings and then create the MoCA network.

4. Sep 26, 2020 #4 of 143
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You don't need to run guided setup again unless you're changing tv service providers.

You can change under settings, network for the proper network connection.

skid71 likes this.
  5. Sep 26, 2020 #5 of 143
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

I'd strongly recommend against attempting Guided Setup.

There's been multiple examples of TiVo's boot-looping when attempting Guided Setup with the recent Software.

There's a Network Settings section in the TiVo's Menu that you should use to get your TiVo's going again.

Start by simplifying things and build on it.

Just get the Main TiVo reconnected. Once it's properly connected, you should be able to Ping it from another device on your Local Network, or access it's Built-In Webpage at it's listed IP Address.

Then, do 1 of the Mini's. Once it's properly connected, it should also be able to respond to a Ping. Then the next.

-KP

skid71 likes this.
  6. Sep 26, 2020 #6 of 143
    skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    First, I would like to sincerely thank you both for your time and help. It is GREATLY appreciated.
    My head is swimming, when I connected the Pro and Minis back in 2013, my memory was better. One point I failed to mention yesterday: both Mini's use a Netgear MoCA adapter. Physical connections to the Mini's have not been changed.

Things I know for certain:
    Roamio Pro is displaying broadcast content normally.
    Roamio Pro has connection to the internet (I connected to the TiVo service about 15 minutes ago.

The network type current set on the Roamio Pro is MoCA+Ethernet. I'm not 100% positive that is the correct setting I need. I will try to read the Network information you mentioned in your post (I'm literally blind) and see if that can guide me. I will not run Guided Setup on the Pro. Thanks so much for sharing the valuable info.

Jeff
    CORRECTION: NO NETGEAR MOCA ADAPTERS AT EITHER MINI LOCATION, BOTH MINIS ARE CONNECTED VIA COAX ON THE MINI'S TO THE COAX WALL OUTLET

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  7. Sep 26, 2020 #7 of 143
    skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Now I have to open TCP ports for MoCA to work. That's strange, as I'm positive I've never had to do that.
    Time for a break, chorizo dip and a margarita or two.

8. Sep 26, 2020 #8 of 143
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Network 'diagnostics' always say to 'check ports' when things aren't working. It's a Red Herring. It just means somethings not connected properly.

Can you sketch out a diagram of your setup?

-KP

9. Sep 26, 2020 #9 of 143
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you want the modem or router to be the MoCa host, you can just set the Roamio to either Ethernet or MoCa and not both.

Can you say your location? If you are close enough, I might help out. or use video chat to help.

10. Sep 26, 2020 #10 of 143
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    I don't know if this is relevent or not. Since the recent software updates my minis drop connections to my Bolt every time my router reboots. To get them working again I have to reboot my Bolt. One mini VOX is on Moca cable. The other Mini V1 is on Ethernet.

I noticed this because I was changing routers and testing different configurations. Every time I would reboot a router, minis could not find the Bolt until I rebooted it, even if it had been several hours since the reboot.

11. Sep 26, 2020 #11 of 143
    skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    My apologies, a sketch from me would be hilariously ...well, horrible. Perhaps I can describe it my blind way.

ARRIS SB8200 (modem)
    Wall (coax) outlet > 2-way splitter (Xfinity tech changed the spitter yesterday) > (a) splitter > coax input on modem/ (b) splitter > coax input on Roamio Pro

GOOGLE NEST WIFI (router)
    Ethernet (top jack of SB8200) > Google Nest WiFi router ***this connection on the router end is into the port that looks like an earth/world---I'm not certain this is correct

Ethernet port (this jack has a pic/hyroglyphic of a greater, or less than sign with a slash) this is so difficult because I cannot see.
    Anyway, this ethernet port runs to a switch.

We have WiFi now (tech roll from yesterday), so I assume the 2 ethernet jack ports on the Google Nest WiFi router are connected properly.

NETGEAR GB SWITCH
    1 ethernet cable runs to a Phillips Hue hub (lights work normally via G Assistant)
    1 ethernet cable runs to the Roamio Pro TiVo Service Connection has worked at least 5 times today.

Roamio Pro network settings: ethernet: on; WiFi: off; MoCA: on Roamio Pro is set up as a bridge, without encryption

Coax outlet (Mini 1): Coax outlet to coax input on Mini
    everything worked fine before Xfinity tech fixed WiFi yesterday. Play live TV, recordings, etc.

Coax outlet (Mini 2): Coax outlet to coax input on Mini. Everything worked infe before the tech roll yesterday.

**After the tech left yesterday, I totally f'd up and changed the network setting on the Roamio Pro to WiFi and turned off MoCA. This setting has been changed, with multiple reboots, TiVo Service Connections.

The Roamio Pro is downstairs, with the modem & router approximatley 18 feet away, across the room. Both Mini's are upstairs. 1 living room; 1 bedroom

I am absolutely humbled and at the mercy of the network/TiVo/MoCA gods.
    Sincere thanks,
    Jeff

12. Sep 26, 2020 #12 of 143
    skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    In this crazy year/time in history I don't care about my location. I'm sure all the businesses we spend our money with already know, why not someone trying to help? :)
    We're in the Blue Springs area in Kansas City. I'd say about a mile and a half north of Lake Lotawana. (64064)

Jeff

13. Sep 26, 2020 #13 of 143
    skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Interesting, I'm not certain this is my case. I spoke about the Xfinity tech fixing WiFi issues yesterday... wihtout another lengthy post, our download speed would go from around 300mbps to 0/1/2 every few days. This resulted in a ton of router reboots (Google Nest WiFI) through the Home app, and other reboots via power cable disconnect. Never had an issue with either Mini coming back online.

Sure do appreciate your participation (not sarcasm)
    Kind regards,
    Jeff

14. Sep 26, 2020 #14 of 143
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm just under 4 hours East.

skid71 likes this.
  15. Sep 26, 2020 #15 of 143
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That rules out a personal visit, if you really need a hand. The only option would be a video chat on a smart phone, if you have one. For example, we can be your eyes and advise you how and where to move objects. But it may seem you are fixed up now, so never mind.

skid71 likes this.
  16. Sep 26, 2020 #16 of 143
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The exception to "a pic is worth a thousand words" maxim, perhaps?

Sounds correct, though keep this splitter swapped-out by Comcast in mind should issues persist. A photo of this splitter's label would be helpful in verifying its MoCA compatibility (or hostility).

It's entirely correct. The "globe" port indicates the Internet connection; that is, the Ethernet connection from the cable modem, in your case.

upload_2020-9-26_19-20-13.png

You've described the symbol accurately --- "<...>" ... as this is the Ethernet port for your Google Nest's LAN; and connecting it to a network switch is the correct move, since you'd like to have more than one device networked.

Well, at least the "globe"/Internet port is, since that's all you'd need for your wireless devices to have a successful Internet connection. (Unless your Nest devices are connected to each other via your Ethernet LAN, that is. TBD for me.)

This all seems correct and good. (Normally, I'd ask if you can check and report the specific model number of your Netgear Gigabit Switch, in order to check whether it's a model prone to TiVo connectivity issues related to the IGMP Snooping setting, but since your TiVo boxes should only be communicating with each other via coax/MoCA, the IGMP Snooping issue should be moot.)

edit: The Philips Hue connectivity doubly confirms that your main Ethernet switch is connected correctly.

Simple enough, and sounds correct ... but the devil is in the details between the rooms, including how the rooms interconnect and through what component(s); whether the Comcast tech disconnected the coax runs to your rooms with Minis (it's happened to others in the past); and/or whether the Comcast tech either removed or relocated your "PoE" (Point-of-Entry) MoCA filter, potentially blocking your MoCA connectivity or impacting MoCA connectivity.

This last bit of missing info is critical, but I'll come back to this, below, after making one troubleshooting suggestion.

It sounds like you've managed to restore the Roamio Pro to its correct settings (Ethernet w/ MoCA bridging), so that shouldn't be an issue at this point. Your detailed description above sounds correct, for the locations described, so assuming everything is correctly interconnected but still not connecting, I'd recommend trying a full power reset of your gear (all network and TiVo boxes).

To do a full power reset, you'll want to power down all your devices and leave them ALL off for a few minutes, and then bring them back online, one-at-a-time, in the order shown:
    • modem
    • router
    • network switches
    • Roamio Pro
    • standalone MoCA adapters
    • TiVo Minis
    This may not resolve your issues, but it has resolved MoCA stubbornness in the past for some.

-----
    However, *IF* the full power reset doesn't get you going, I'd start to lean towards something having changed (with the assist of a Comcast technician) in your coax plant. Assuming so, I'd recommend trying to determine whether your Mini rooms are still connected to your coax plant, whether and where you have a "PoE" MoCA filter installed, and through what component(s) your coax runs interconnect. How to do all this can be discussed if the full power reset fails to revive your MoCA setup.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    skid71 likes this.
  17. Sep 26, 2020 #17 of 143
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ???

Did I miss where the OP said that their issue has been resolved?

18. Sep 26, 2020 #18 of 143
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    With just the SB8200 modem (only) and Google Nest router to work with, the Roamio Pro is the only option for the MoCA/Ethernet bridge ... short of an unmentioned device in the OP's inventory, or acquisition of a standalone MoCA adapter.

19. Sep 26, 2020 #19 of 143
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I might have misread his post and thought he had a tech come fix it.

krkaufman likes this.
  20. Sep 26, 2020 #20 of 143
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This comment...
    ... alluded to the Comcast tech fixing their wildly inconsistent wireless performance, yesterday, after which the OP's TiVo/MoCA connectivity was lost. My money is on some change to the coax plant to fix the Internet/wireless performance, either a hostile component added or the Mini locations having been disconnected.