Connecting DVD Recorder to a Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by slevis, Aug 27, 2007.

1. slevis

slevis New Member

Aug 13, 2007

Advertisements

Hey all,

I went to Best Buy to pick up a DVD recorder so I could save all my favorite shows permanently without using up all the drive space on my new TiVo. The guy at best buy said there was no way to use a DVD recorder with a TiVo, but I knew I saw the instructions for hooking one up on the quick start poster that came with my Tivo. Anyone have and luck/issues using a DVD recorder with a TiVo Series 3?

2. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    As long as the S3 has a Super Video (or RCA Video) out as well as RCA audio outs, it should be no problem to run it out.

I have run my DVD Recorder out of my DTV tuner boxes including the HD one no problem.

The only issue will be resolution. Many DVD Recorders do not have an anamorphic selection, so if you record widescreen content it will only display correctly on a widescreen tv. But not a problem for me. The quality it put out was not bad all things considered.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Works pretty well for me. I've got my Samsung DVD-VR357 recorder connected to my S3 via S-Video and composite audio.

4. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    To get a basic recording directly from TiVo to DVD you would hook up the video output from TiVo, either S-video (preferred) or composite/RCA and the L/R RCA output from TiVo to your DVD recorder and set the DVD recorder to record from that input. DVD-R is the recommended media to use for recording.

When you want to record a program, use TiVo’s “Save to VCR” function. When it’s ready hit "play" on TiVo and “record” on your DVD recorder and that will transfer the recording from TiVo to your DVD. The recording will be WYSIWYG; a real-time recording, so if you FF through commercials, that’s what will be recorded. The result will be an SD recording. Once your recording(s) have completed, you have to "finalize" the disc on the recorder to let it play in other DVD players or a computer.

I know you already have a DVD recorder but for others, the Sony RDR-GX330 Single Tray DVD Recorder is often mentioned as a good DVD recorder to use. This machine has methods to preserve the original aspect ratio, etc.

Here are some other threads that might help if you want more details:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=354309

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5178027&&#post5178027

5. slevis

slevis New Member

Aug 13, 2007

Advertisements

I think that Sony is actually the one that I bought.... Thanks for the info, I'll switch out the yellow plug for an s-video cable tonight.

Also, is DVD-R the most widely used? I think I made a mistake and bought DVD+RW discs.... I am planning on copying TV shows to DVD but want to make sure that it is playable in just about any modern DVD player. thanks!!

6. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    DVD-R would be the most commonly playable. However, almost all newer DVD players support DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and some DVD+RW. You'd need to check a disc it made on diff players to make sure.

DVD-R is definitely the cheapest option per unit. I buy 100 spindles for $30 usually.