Connecting dvd player to tv that already has tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by 2004raptor, Jan 8, 2006.

1. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I made a previous thread here but now things have chaged a bit so I wanted to start fresh.

Helping someone hook up tivo and dvd player to tv (no cable box).

I got the tivo working fine. It has a splitter so that when it's recording a show you can watch a different show by switching inputs to cbale. Works good although the tivo remote doesn't go through all the inputs but that's another thread.
    Anyway, need some help hooking up the dvd to the tv.
    FYI The tivo is using s-video and composite RCA (red/white).
    The dvd player has component video so that's what we will be using (because the s-video is being used by tivo). The problem comes from waht audio the dvd can send to the tv??? The tivo is already using the lone red and white RCA's.
    Could a male to female splitter (Of course it would have to be two splitters-one for red and one for white) be used so that the male would go into the tv and you could connect one of the females to the tivo and the other female to the dvd?
    Is that even possible?

2. Sennman

Sennman New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm having similar problems. I have a TV with existing Tivo connected to regular cable. I had it set up with a cable splitter so I could watch tv even when the tivo was recording. Now I've bought a DVD recorder and I'm not sure how to get it into the mix and make things go back to normal. I have an Tv with only one A/V input and one s-video input. I've got one side of my cable splitter going to the tivo along with the A/V (yellow,white,red) out from the tivo to the TV. Tivo works fine but I don't know what to do next. I want to be able to record to DVD things we have saved on the tivo but also still have the ability to watch TV when the tivo is recording. Any help would be great. I'm pretty frustrated.

3. 2004raptor

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I understand your frustration, Sennman. Like I said earlier, this is not my setup. It's someone I am trying to help.
    I personally have a newer Samsung tv and I think I have multiple composite A/V jacks on it because I have the tivo and dvd hooked up to it w/no problem.
    Hopefully someone can come in here and knock both of these problems out.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Are you sure that the different video inputs on that TV also don't have respective audio inputs? I don't mean the s-video and the yellow video composite, they usually share the audio. But, component video should have separate audio. Or have we confused component with composite here?

5. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    The TV has a component input but only one input? Are you possibly confusing component and composite? In any case, if you've got two video ins and only one audio in, then what you probably have is a TV with only one input that is switching between the s-video and composite (I assume) depending on which is plugged in - however, you're not supposed to plug in both. If this TV is out of inputs, you should get an A/V switch.

The other poster has a different situation. A DVD recorder should be connected between the TiVo and the TV so it can record the output from the TiVo. Such a connection is not an option with the player since players don't have inputs.

6. 2004raptor

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Not confusing component with composite. The components are to the right of the composites (yellow, red, black) and the s-video is farther out to the right side of the rear.
    I should have mentioned it does have another front set of composites but that's not really an option to use.

7. 2004raptor

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Yes, one component input (RGB). The TV switches from Cable to Component to Video 1 (tivo) to Video 2(front).