Connecting camcorder to Series 3 TiVO

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by souperdave816, Jul 1, 2010.

1. souperdave816

souperdave816 New Member

Jul 1, 2010

Advertisements

This may be a different usage than most for a TiVO, but I recently got a TiVo Series 3 donated to me for use with my high school volleyball team. I want to connect my HD camcorder to the TiVO for practices so I can record footage and do delayed Live TV video for our athletes. However, the Series 3 TiVO does not have an S-Video or composite cable input for my camcorder... only the Cable/Antenna IN inputs which are co-ax. So on advice, I purchased an RF modulator (Monster Connectall 200). I connected the camcorder's S-Video to the RF modulator S-video input and connected a coax cable from the RF modulator output to the Tivo Cable IN coax input. However, when I turned on the camcorder and tried to get a video feed on Live TV, the TiVO said it could not find a Cable IN signal. Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    First, you do realize it will NOT be HD, right? S-Video can't carry an HD feed.

Second, hook it up to the ANTENNA IN, not the CABLE IN.

While the modulator is ON and sending a signal, re-do the channel scan on the TiVo. Make sure in the Guided Setup that you tell it you're only using Antenna.

3. souperdave816

souperdave816 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks, oViTynoT,
    I will give your steps a try tonight. I do realize that this method won't show a HD feed. The S-Video output is sufficient for my needs.
    Dave

4. souperdave816

souperdave816 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ok, so I finally got time to try this tonight. I verified that my RF modulator was working correctly by connecting the camcorder via S-Video input and the coax output directly to my TV on channel 3. I saw the camcorder image on the TV.

Then I connected the coax cable to the Cable IN on the Tivo and the TV out on the RF modulator. Camcorder still on the S-Video input on the RF modulator. Verified signal. Then went thru guided setup on TiVO and indicated that only an Antenna signal would be used. Guided setup completed and then did a channel scan. But then when I hit Live TV, I got a Signal: Antenna In error message. Something else I can troubleshoot?
    Dave