Connecting Bolt to Alexa

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by eirefire22, Dec 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. eirefire22

eirefire22 New Member

Aug 19, 2012
    So I’ve gone through trying to control my Bolt via an Echo Dot and I keep getting an error message about ‘cannot communicate with TiVo’ when I tell the Exho to change the channel or what not. I’ve re done it about 5 times to no avail.

is it possible that since my Bolt is connected via Ethernet it cant be controlled via Alexa?

2. My Cape is a Recliner

My Cape is a Recliner Member

Oct 5, 2019
    What is the purpose of what you are trying to do?
    If you are trying to control with your voice, why not get the TiVo remote that does that?
    If you are trying to program the TiVo then why not just the app?

3. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    You made it further than me. All I ever get is, "Sorry, I don't know that one".

4. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    No, that can’t be it. I connect my Roamio via Ethernet and was able to control it via my Echo Dot. I’ve since switched my TiVos around so I don’t know if it would still work.

Alexa

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You have the TiVo skill installed and configured (linked your Echo Dot to your Bolt)?

The method of network connection should not matter as long as they are on the same subnet/network.

Scott

6. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sounds like he wants to use Alexa to change channels (at least minimally) which can be convenient since hands-free. With the Tivo voice remote you have to press the button and it only works with TE4 (he didn't mention though which UI he's running).

Scott

7. seaninde

seaninde Active Member

Sep 23, 2019
    It does work, I have it working. Very convenient for pausing, etc. Something is up with your Amazon skill setup. Mine is wired ethernet and no issues with Echo.

8. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I hadn't used this in a long time and it didn't appear to be working so I disabled and re-enabled the TiVo skill and getting a timeout on TiVo's ffvc.tivo.com trying to link the accounts.

upload_2020-1-8_12-42-42.png