Connect Tivo Series 2 on 2 networks?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by cyberslave, Dec 4, 2005.

1. cyberslave

cyberslave New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Is it possable to connect a stand alone series 2 to 2 differant networks?

I have a wireless set-up but transfers lag bad when I play music with Tivo2Go.

Is it doable to use a wireless adabtor and a wired one together?

What I want to do is this...

@ tivos connected wirelessly and have one PC in the den (wireless PCI card inside on the network) and run a wired connection from that PC to the 2nd USB slto on the tivo with a wired adaptor so that when I play music it is a direct feed with no signal lag?

I only want to adjust the Photos/Music connection and leave the main network alone

2. AndyAxel

AndyAxel New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Been fussing with this myself. No dice.

In the IP world, this is referred to as multihoming, and it's a feature I'd like to see as well. That way, I could use the wireless IP network for receiving program information and to do remote scheduling over the Internet, but I could have a backbone network which would allow faster transfers among wired endpoints inside my house.

Unfortunately, I can't find any documentation or hack that shows that TiVo can do this. It'd require (1) separate IP addresses for each interface, and (2) some sort of routing or bridging mechanism between the two networks (preferably on the TiVo), and preferably with some mechanism to tell the TiVo that T2G and MRV operate on the wired network, but you get program/scheduling info on the wireless.

At this point, I see no way to bind the TiVo to distinct networks, and I see nowhere that it allows you to run some sort of IGP (interior gateway protocol) so that you can differentiate routes or prioritize traffic by type on a per-interface basis.

It'd be a great feature, though.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Nope. TiVo supports only one network connection at a time.

4. Rallyman

Rallyman Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Fort Worth
    You need to read this post, and probably everything after it very carefully. This will tell you how to setup a wireless network that will serve up music without lag. It will also allow you to transfer recordings at better than real time speed (for medium quality).

How do I know you ask? I use this exact setup. As a matter of fact I can serve music to both my TiVos at the same time without any lag.

Good Luck!

5. cyberslave

cyberslave New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    thanks for the info and sorry about the long delay in reply. Been busy with the holidays and such