Connect Slingbox to Roamio using ethernet port on Tivo...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by lapdog12, Jul 6, 2016.

1. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I have a 2nd Tivo Roamio in my living room that's connected via Moca from my Roamio in my bedroom.

I read that you can use the ethernet port on the back of the Roamio to provide internet to another device. Has anyone tried that? Do you think it would work with a Slingbox?

Thanks for any tips.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, that works -- assuming your 2nd MoCA-connected Roamio is a Roamio Plus or Pro. You should be able to connect the Slingbox to the 2nd Roamio's Ethernet port to provide the Slingbox with a wired network connection, bridged through the 2nd Roamio. And, importantly, you don't need to make any configuration changes on that 2nd Roamio.

You could also connect a network switch to the 2nd Roamio's Ethernet port, if you wanted to provide a wired network to multiple devices.

3. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Thanks so much for that info, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Yes, both are Roamio Pros so as you said, I shouldn't have any problems using that ethernet port. I like the idea of the switch too, just in case I need it.

4. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Very helpful thread! I didn't realize you could do that (use the ethernet port of a 2nd roamio to have a reverse bridge of sorts, going back from moca to ethernet).

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Roamio Plus or Pro only, of course, since the basic & OTA Roamio models don't support MoCA.

6. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    My Roamio Pro is in an entertainment center with a bunch of other networked A/V stuff (PlayStation, Roku, Onkyo A/V box, Slingbox, another TiVo). The Roamio connects to my home network via MoCA, and its ethernet port is connected to a network bridge to feed the other devices. My cable modem (in another room) is one of the newer ones that has MoCA built in, so the MoCA connectivity just came along with it. Works just fine.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016