1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect Netgear ReadyNAS to Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by john52il, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Mar 6, 2018 #1 of 19
    john52il

john52il New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    Illinois
    Hi,
    I need help connecting my Bolt to my new ReadyNAS, no one at Tivo gives me the same answer as the next person. Do I need an eSATA cable? Can they communicate with ethernet connections only? Exactly what eSATA cable do I need if I do need one? I have been spinning my wheels on this for weeks now, please, someone who has done this, tell me exactly what physical connections I need.
    Thank you very much,

John

2. Mar 6, 2018 #2 of 19
    clay.autery

clay.autery Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Northwest...
    You can connect them together however you want, but they will not be able to talk for SURE under the Hydra interface. If you downgrade to the OLD interface, you might be able to get them to talk via Ethernet/TCP/IP with the help of a lot of extra software..... for backup only of non-copy protected video.

You will never be able to stream from the ReadyNAS to the Bolt.

3. Mar 6, 2018 #3 of 19
    john52il

john52il New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    Illinois
    Thank you, Clay. I had the ReadyNAS connected through my router and ethernet and the Bolt never recognized the external storage. So, I take it you are saying that the idea of having shows on the external drive and watching them as I watch other content on my Tivo is never going to happen. I guess I'd like to know what the "lot of extra software" refers to exactly. I am perplexed as to why external space is even considered an option at this point. Btw, I am running the old interface, not Hydra.

4. Mar 6, 2018 #4 of 19
    clay.autery

clay.autery Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Northwest...
    I read and studied this sight for weeks to answer all the same questions.

External storage is not really an option. You can increase the internal drive size to 3 or 4 Terabytes relatively easily. I did both on my extra Bolts before finally deciding to use an 8TB 3.5" WD Red drive in a hacked external enclosure, connected by a long SATA cable to my Bolt.

Eventually, I will complete a new enclosure/power supply combo to house the completed assembly with a proper thermal design.

All the answers are here.... a lot of them are in my Documenting My Bolt Experiences thread....

If you decide to go with the internal Tosh 3TB drive upgrade or the 4 TB Seagate drive upgrade route, I have drives for you that have already been tested and made ready which have only a few hours on them.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2018 #5 of 19
    john52il

john52il New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    Illinois

Thanks, Clay. let me sort out the useless mess I've created and I'll probably take one off your hands.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. Mar 6, 2018 #6 of 19
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    A couple of questions. Are you wanting to connect it as an internal drive or external drive to the Bolt. Or are you wanting to use the TiVo backup function of the ReadyNAS via the network and then view view shows backed up on the ReadyNAS by streaming back to your Bolt?.

7. Mar 8, 2018 #7 of 19
    ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Whenever I see "ReadyNAS" mentioned, TCF UserID @dianebrat is the first thing that comes to my mind. :cool:

Do a TCF SEARCH on "ReadyNAS" with her UserID and read all about it. :D

FORGET that there are eSATA and USB connectors on the back panel of TiVo units. For additional storage:
    1. Swap in a bigger HDD internally.
    2. Setup a NAS (or spare PC), offload with kmttg to .mpg, .srt, .txt, .edl files and view with StreamBaby (or Plex).
    3. Build a 'Frankenstein' (3.5" External HDD connected through a hole drilled in TiVo case to internal SATA connector).
    Is your 'new' ReadyNAS still within your 'Return Window'?

Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.
  8. Mar 8, 2018 #8 of 19
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW I just confirmed that the ReadyNAS series that has Tivo support still works fine with units running the Gen3 experience and 20.7.4.RC30
    It does not work with the VOX/Hydra experience and probably never will since they don't support the transfers used in the ReadyNAS that are based on the old SDUI from the S3 units.

Thanks for the shoutout @ClearToLand

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Skanter123

Skanter123 Member

Feb 27, 2015
    I just spoke to a Tivo tech support person - she said they support Ready NAS but no longer the WD My Expander (which I have). Is it a mistake trying my WD eSata to see what happens?

10. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If you look at every thread on the external drives the same data appears, they work ok for some people, but when they fail you lose everything on the box and they're only 1TB max, I STRONGLY recommend that you review the other threads.
    External Optional Drive
    TiVo.com has the "Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1TB"
    If you're using a smaller drive Tivo the #1 recommendation is open it up and replace the drive with a 3TB Toshiba.

As far as the ReadyNAS line goes, it's supported only in NON-Hydra machines, and their definition of "support" on the ReadyNAS is amusing, for 2 years after initial Bolt release, Bolt's would not connect and Tivo said it was a Netgear issue, and Netgear said it was a Tivo issue, then magically with a Tivo OS update on the Bolt they started working again.

Bolt+crazy, Mikeguy and ClearToLand like this.
  11. Skanter123

Skanter123 Member

Feb 27, 2015
    I understand, replacing the drive is a better idea, but I just got the box and it woud void the warranty - I usually wait until warranty period is over befor making mods. Again, the WD Sata drive worked perfectly on my Premier for years with no issues whatsoever, so I might give it a try.

As far as “losing everything” - I mostly record temporary events like tennis matches, baseball games and a few movies- I don’t save a huge amount of data. With the advent of streaming less space is needed, i.e. HBO GO eliminates need for recording it. One T is probably enough anyway - I rarely went over 50% of the 1.5T of storage I had.

What do you guys save on your devices that requires so much storge space?

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    The Walking Dead is over 100 Episodes now...

-KP

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. Bolt+crazy

Bolt+crazy New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    did i just read that Bolt now works with Readynas????

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you have TE3/Encore/20.7.4.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It has for a while, as long as you use the "classic" interface not Hydra, I doubt you'll see it ever work on Hydra. (however if @TiVo_Ted ever wants to give me a birthday present.. hint hint..)

16. Bolt+crazy

Bolt+crazy New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    thanks you for the info,is the classic inter face what's in the box? I am a newbe to this.

17. scoombs

scoombs Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Not sure if the ReadyNAS 6.9.3 release addresses Hydra as part of "newer TiVo Device"

"TiVo Server “fast transport” option for newer TiVo Device compatibility"

18. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Hydra or "new Tivo experience" comes stock on Vox boxes with the microphone button on the remote.
    Classic is the blue based environment that's been around for a long long time.

19. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'll have to let you know, but I doubt it, the limitation wasn't "fast transport" files it was the OS.