Conmnection question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by 660john, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Apr 5, 2018 #1 of 31
    660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018

Advertisements

Hi, new to the TiVo game. Just received our new equipment and will be hooking up this weekend. We currently have DirecTV and will be cutting the cable shortly. We purchased a Roamio OTA, a mini for the second room, a TiVo bridge, & one POE filter. I'd like to know if this connection is viable or do I need to go another route? Also, where would I install the POE filter in this setup. Hope I've covered all the bases and thanks for any assistance for a newbie.

TIVO DIAGRAM.png

2. Apr 5, 2018 #2 of 31
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    Need some important information to give directions. What is the source of your internet connection? If coax/cable, can you isolate the run to the cable modem? Sometimes with OTA a diplexer can be used instead of a MoCA filter but the filter can be made to work.

3. Apr 5, 2018 #3 of 31
    660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    The source of the internet is directly from the router which is bridged from my main router. There is no cable modem which is why it isn't in the diagram. My internet is from Vivint wireless and they don't use a modem like you're thinking of. Thanks for your reply.

4. Apr 5, 2018 #4 of 31
    GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Looks good! AS long as the coax connections you show in your diagram indeed are single sections not connected to either an antenna nor incoming coax no MOCA signal can escape and no POE filter is needed.

5. Apr 5, 2018 #5 of 31
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

If that's the case, your diagram is good and you don't really even need the MoCA filter. Just go with what you have...hopefully a good strong antenna signal.

6. Apr 5, 2018 #6 of 31
    660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Sounds good. So there's no issues with any signal going out through the bridge backwards then. Like I said I'm new at this game and I just want to do it right the first time. My OTA signal is pretty strong where I have the antenna right now. If it ever becomes an issue then I can mount one outside and run new cable in. Thanks again for your help.

7. Apr 5, 2018 #7 of 31
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Just as GBL has indicated, so long as you have a single feed from the antenna going directly to the Roamio OTA, there will be no issue.

8. Apr 5, 2018 #8 of 31
    660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Thanks for the info. The only coax going into the Roamio it from the antenna. I'll be hooking it up this weekend and will see how it works. Thanks again.

9. Apr 5, 2018 #9 of 31
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As diagrammed, there won't be any MoCA signals on the coax segment between the DVR and the antenna, so no MoCA filter is needed there.

The "HOME COAX" block through which your MoCA signals will be traveling lacks detail, so I can't say for sure ... but a MoCA filter would only be needed on some edge of that mysterious segment if and where the home coax plant connects to an outside line.

Note that you wouldn't be able to use the home coax plant for MoCA at the same time it's in use for distributing DirecTV signals, and MoCA connectivity will also depend on the specific connections and components composing the "HOME COAX" block.

'gist: The diagram looks great aside from uncertainty re: what composes the "HOME COAX" block.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. 660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018

11. 660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    The home coax block is nothing more that a connection from the bridge to room 2. I should of 'splained that a little better. I'm going to unhook the incoming DirecTV to do a sanity check on my connection this weekend. We won't be officially off DirecTV until we finish watching some of the stuff on the DVR. We won't so MoCA won't be used till then. Thanks for the comment on the diagram. Gotta love MS Paint.

12. 660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    One other question and it might be a dumb one. How does the mini access OTA when this all gets hooked up. Does it see the Roamio because it's plugged into the same router? TIA.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, good, the mysterious block is not so scary, now. Thanks.

As for the Mini, Roamio DVR and OTA... the DVR handles all TV tuning responsibilities and will stream tuned content (live or previously recorded) over the home network to the Mini. (MoCA is just another networking technology, like Wi-Fi, and, yes, it's the network connection between the Mini and Roamio that enables TiVo whole home operation.)

The Mini will have a channel guide and My Shows listing mirroring that of its host DVR, and is mostly identical in basic function to being at the DVR (putting aside channel surfing and management advantages of the host DVR).

14. 660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    One other question if you don’t mind. In my connection in the diagram the router is bridged from my main connection. Will I be able to create my MoCa by connecting to one of the open LAN ports on it? Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

15. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Is your router actually a switch?

Describe the path of the cable coming into your house to the box labeled "router".

16. 660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Internet comes into the house via an Ethernet cable that is connected to an antenna for lack of a better term. That is connected to primary router via cat5. The router in the diagram is bridged from the main router. The bridged router has open LAN ports on it that I’m connecting the Roamio to as well as the TiVo bridge.

17. 660john

660john New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Another question on my setup. Could a second wireless bridged router be used to create a hardwired connection to my mini? Also, has anyone had any luck using power line adapters instead of using MoCa? Thanks.

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Both wireless access points and Powerline adapters have been used, with varying success largely depending on the robustness and nature of one's wireless network and home wiring. Some people have had absolute success, without more, and it can be a simple solution; for some, matters start out fine and later devolve; and for others, it doesn't work. TiVo only endorses Ethernet and MoCA. Many posts and threads here on this.

I always recommend that if trying these routes and if equipment needs to be purchased, buy equipment that easily can be returned, should matters not work out. Also, robust equipment likely will increase the odds of success, especially if one is using wireless connections for more than a single Mini at a time (thereby dividing the wireless bandwidth up).

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Does the DirecTV DVR require a connection to the satellite dish (and satellite) or the Internet to allow playback of existing recordings?

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    On reviewing the above comments, I'm now of the opinion that the "router" depicted in your diagram is WIRELESSLY bridged to your main router, not connected to the main router via an Ethernet cable. So this device is a router that has been configured as a wireless "media bridge." Is this correct?

If so, the diagrammed setup has worked fine for many people, with the TiVo devices connected to each other over wired connections (Ethernet and MoCA), and with this isolated segment connected back to the main router and Internet wirelessly. This can work because the TiVo-to-Tivo traffic which requires more bandwidth will occur via the wired segment, and the lower bandwidth and more resilient traffic (TiVo service and guide data connections, Internet streaming apps) will pass via the wireless bridge connection to the main router.

Yes.

Such a connection wouldn't actually be "hardwired" since it's wireless, but the Mini wouldn't know any difference. The Mini would just see an Ethernet connection, and hopefully the wireless bridge could provide sufficient bandwidth to support the TiVo-to-TiVo streaming. So, yes, you could.

That said, rather than using a second router as another wireless bridge dedicated for the Mini's connection, I'd recommend sticking with the planned wired MoCA connection via the TiVo Bridge MoCA adapter connected to the wireless bridge (router)* ... if possible.

* Note that the pictured "router" device, bridging back to the main router, could be either Powerline or wireless tech, whatever works in your setup.