confusion about cableCARDs set top boxes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pacomartin, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

http://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=992
    My cable company uses this DCT700 ALL-DIGITAL CABLE SET-TOP when it doesn't want to use TiVo.
    1) without a cableCARD how do these devices decode? Is there a chip? A signal?
    2) I thought the law required cableCARDS in the devices used by the companies. There is a confusing statement in the wikipedia article.

Use of the term CableCARD can be confusing, because some technologies refer not to the physical card, but to a device ("Host") that uses the card. Some CableCARD technologies can be used with devices that have no physical CableCARDs.

3) Are such devices inherently limited to standard definition?
    4) Why can't I purchase such a device? Is it technical or legal limitation? The retail rental rate is $10/month for a stupid little device like this one.

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    the dct 700 use software to decode the cable compay don't allow cable boxes to be purchased the makers don't even sell to the public.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The DCT-700 is an old one-way device that was exempt from the separable security rule either because of age or because it's a one-way device. Not sure which (most likely age). The manual is dated 2003, before cablecard was a tangible thing. There are others, but the 700's were popular.