Confusing Network Troubles

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tiv0 newbie, Oct 24, 2019.

1. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015

Advertisements

I would like to ask this forum for some thoughts regarding some apparent network trouble I am having. In 2014 I purchased some Roamio basics and a few Minis all networked via ethernet and using Xfinity Cable service. This past summer I began having strange intermittent connectivity issues involving all of my networked devices including the Tivos. Comcast customer service blamed the trouble on the combo rental gateway. They mailed me a Cisco 3941T gateway which I installed. My issues seemed to be much better, and I was satisfied. In late August I purchased a Roamio Pro which worked fine except that streaming never worked. I tried to stream recorded shows nearly every day since then with no success. Then, without me changing anything, streaming began working this past weekend. I was very excited about this fortunate turn of events until I realized that port forwarding for viewing of my security cameras via an app on my iphone stopped working while on the Wifi signal of my Xfinity gateway. However, with my iphone disconnected from wifi, I found that I could view the cameras on my iphone through the LTE data signal from ATT. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    When I'm setting up Camera DVR's, I create a Home profile and and Away profile on each phone. Because if you don't then what you're seeing happens.

-KP

3. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Do you have any thoughts on why Tivo streaming started working somewhat unexpectedly?

4. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe a TiVo update recently?

Or, maybe a piece of network gear rebooted?

-KP

5. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015

Advertisements

KP,
    I am still trying to get this figured out. I am able to view my security cameras over cellular and while i am on someone else’s wifi, but if I am on my own xfinity gateway wifi, I continue to get “failed to connect” messages and I cannot view the security cameras. This only happened recently, and I did not change any settings on the gateway. During this time, Tivo streaming to my iphone app miraculously and unexpectedly started working for the first time ever. Any additional thoughts? By the way, everything else is working when I connect to my Xfinity gateway wifi.
    Lee

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Create a separate profile pointing at the local IP Address of the DVR.

-KP

7. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    KP,
    I got a friend to help and we created different profiles for home and away as you suggested. This has fixed my issue. Thanks a ton!!!

Now, can you fix out of home streaming for my tivo app?
    Thanks again,
    Lee

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There's a few threads around here about Out-Of-Home Streaming issues, but I don't bother with it, so haven't paid too much attention.

Maybe start a new thread about it, or chime in on one the threads that seems to be most on point to your issue.

-KP

tiv0 newbie likes this.
  9. Nov 1, 2019 #9 of 11
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Is that by chance a DPC3941T or more commonly known as the XB3?

If so and you are renting you should take it back for something with a Broadcom chipset as the DPC3941T has Puma 6 chipset which has latency/jitter issues.

More info: Bad Modems

tiv0 newbie likes this.
  10. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I am guessing that they are the same. I will have to check.

11. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Just checked. It is a DPC3941T.