Confused: Want to cut the cord but keep my non-OTA Bolt and Minis.... can I??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Lanew, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Aug 12, 2019 #1 of 106
    Lanew

Lanew New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    I have a bolt that's about 4 years old - not OTA. Also two Minis on other TVs. Planning on getting and antenna and dumping cable and using Netflix, Amazon, etc. I don't want to scrap my equipment if possible. How do I do this? And do I need a Roku, Firestick, etc?

Thanks

2. Aug 12, 2019 #2 of 106
    JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Are you certain the Bolt doesn't do OTA? Is it the 6 tuner?

3. Aug 12, 2019 #3 of 106
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Mini - yes; they will work fine
    Bolt with 4 tuners - yes, it will work fine. Just re-run guided setup.
    Bolt with 6 tuners - no, it is too crippled to work with an antenna.

wizwor likes this.
  4. Aug 12, 2019 #4 of 106
    BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    If not OTA capable, well the units on Ebay. You don't have to scrap Tivos. They have resale value. Then look at other solutions like getting a Tivo that is OTA or even the Amazon recast. You may also want to explore a streaming service that offers the channels you want at a low price. Just take note that the apps on the Tivo for Hulu, Netflix etc are rarely updated if ever. It's not a good streaming box. You may be better off with Recast or Roku if wanting to do more streaming.

5. Aug 12, 2019 #5 of 106
    Lanew

Lanew New Member

Jan 6, 2019

6. Aug 12, 2019 #6 of 106
  7. Aug 12, 2019 #7 of 106
    Lanew

Lanew New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    thanks! My Model number is 849000 so I think I'm OK. Question now is, how do I set this up - do I connect an antenna to the tivo directly and get signal throughout the house on my mini's that I set up on MOCA? Really appreciate your help folks.

8. Aug 12, 2019 #8 of 106
    Lanew

Lanew New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Thanks! So I do have OTA capability - great. I did not know that tivo was limited as a streaming box, so thank you. I will evaluate Roky, Firestick, Recast, etc. and see what I can figure out (Im old!),

Do I assume correctly that the channels will not show in the guide after cutting cable? Do the OTA channels show up then or ?

9. Aug 12, 2019 #9 of 106
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Re do guided set up, choose antenna.

Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  10. Aug 12, 2019 #10 of 106
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You just need to rerun guided setup.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. Aug 12, 2019 #11 of 106
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, the Guide will list your OTA channels after you’ve “Repeat(ed) Guided Setup” for an OTA antenna setup — though you’ll likely have some editing to do to clean-up the listing, and possibly some rounds of back-and-forth with TiVo Support Re: line-up/programming issues if the FCC re-pack has data out-of-sync.

See here: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Installation_Setup_Configuration/Repeating-Guided-Setup

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  12. Aug 12, 2019 #12 of 106
    chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My Roamio streams Netflix fine. The Roamio app is 2016. My 4K TV app is from 2016. The Comcast DVR app is 2015. Those that diss thin clients not updating do not understand thin clients. Hulu and Vudu also work fine on my Roamio, and on my Comcast DVR and on my 4K TV.

As far as the Amazon Fire Stick TV. OMG, what a klutzy remote. I've unplugged and don't use it.

13. Aug 12, 2019 #13 of 106
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I also have no issues with Netflix on my Bolt, I dont see how it could be better on a different device. I cant comment on anything else, Netflix and Pandora are the only apps i use on the TiVo

14. Aug 12, 2019 #14 of 106
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Short-term, getting the antenna signal connected to the BOLT and evaluating its strength would seem the priority. Will your antenna be in-room or attic-/roof-mounted? Have you assessed what type of antenna you’ll require using one of the online resources:
    • antennaweb.org
    • tvfool.com
    You may want to just have the BOLT networked via Wi-Fi, short-term, to get started on the antenna setup/tuning issues.

As for networking, it will depend on how your antenna signal is routed to the BOLT, the BOLT’s function, and available coax runs.
    • How are the BOLT and Minis currently networked?
    • Is the BOLT acting as the MoCA bridge for your Mini connections?
    • What version Minis do you have: v1/A92, v2/A93, vOX/A95?
    • Is the cable modem/router in the same location as the BOLT?
    • How many coax outlets (coax runs to the central junction) are available at the BOLT location?
    • Will the antenna signal route via a new coax line to the BOLT or will it need to re-use an existing line?

15. Aug 12, 2019 #15 of 106
    dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    I can see how it can definitely be WORSE though...I have friends in Chicago on RCN in their condo. As part of their RCN bulk-rate TV & internet service, they have (1) 4-tuner & (2) dual-tuner Premiers...along with 250meg internet; the Tivo's are all hard-wired to the router. (they only pay $50/month for everything...hence why they stick with these old, old boxes ;) ) Since they have Netflix, they do use it on the Tivos...OMG, it is SO friggen slow to start up, you can easily go to the bathroom (#2) come back & it will STILL be getting the main menu loaded up on the TV! But once you do start playing a show - & again wait for at least 20-30 seconds to start playing, then it seems to play the show normally. But god forbid you go to pause, FF/REW...you really have to be on your toes where it goes then.

16. Aug 13, 2019 #16 of 106
    BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    It's not just Netflix. The Hulu app, for example, is still running the old version/interface. And a bigger issue is that Tivo has a very, very limited selection of apps. Want the PBS app? Disney App? HBO (wouldn't work on mine)? Proper streaming platforms have thousands of apps, latest and greatest. And there is a ton of great content including lots of really decent and 100% free ondemand and live tv. Tivo could have been great if they had access to all of the Android tv stuff, for example. Want Pluto TV? Nope. And that's a shame since Pluto would be a great supplement to OTA (and it's 100% free). But as it is, nobody is continuing to support Tivo, so getting to use the apps beyond Netflix and what not is not going to happen. You know who does incorporate Pluto in to the OTA guide/dvr? Amazon with the Recast. Personally, if I were OP, I'd sell the Tivo's and get a Recast. Probably break even on the switch.

17. Aug 13, 2019 #17 of 106
    Lanew

Lanew New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    [/QUOTE]
    Thank you! My thought has been to continue to use Tivo as an interface and as a DVR once I cut the cable. I see what you mean about the limitations on apps (can not use HBO either and have it through an older Apple TV).

Help me understand your point about selling the Tivos and getting a Recast - how would I break even?

18. Aug 13, 2019 #18 of 106
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
  19. Aug 13, 2019 #19 of 106
    Lanew

Lanew New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    OK I will try to answer:
    • BOLT and minis are connected via my existing cable, with a MOCA bridge which, as I recall, is on the cable line where it first comes into my house. So I don't think the BOLT is acting as the bridge, but rather the separate little bridge box.
    • Minis are v2/A93
    • modem/router is not in the same location as the BOLT and not connected via Ethernet - on wifi.
    • Only one cable terminates at the location of the BOLT.
    • It would be easier for me to connect that antenna to the existing cable, but I may be able to run it directly to the BOLT - I think.
    You folks are being so helpful - thanks! But now I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off to just sell the Tivo and get a Recast as someone else suggested.... thoughts?

krkaufman likes this.
  20. Aug 13, 2019 #20 of 106
    dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Sorry, but as much as some are geeked up re: Recast - IMO it will NEVER be as good as Tivo - period - where it comes to it's primary function of recording TV shows. Unless you are paying monthly to use your Tivo, (I do NOT) that for me would be the ONLY thing the Recast has over Tivo. The fact that it has to do that transcoding crap, in order to stream out to the Firesticks, makes it a non-starter for me. And with the variable speed quick mode, & other features not on Recast, I simply could NOT willingly give that up. Also, obviously you cannot hard-wire a Firestick to your network; sorry, but I like my $#%t hardwired as much as possible & have a house that I am able to to that.
    And what I really don't understand is why some are so upset about the friggen (old) apps on the Tivo? Yes, they DO suck...but if you want to stream, then just get a Roku; even the cheap $25 models run circles around streaming apps built in many smart TV's, & set-top boxes like Tivo. OMG though, you HAVE to switch TV inputs to use the Roku - sorry, but I don't see the big deal on that, either; do it everyday & live to tell about it!

AGREE 100% on that...& I sure as hell would NOT want to have to use it for ALL my daily TV watching via a Recast DVR! :eek: I know so many people that buy these things, get them & then don't like them...but they ONLY bought them because they're Amazon Prime members. If they had just done a little bit of research, they would have been better off buying a cheap Roku & have something that's at least half-ass enjoyable to use...PLUS have a LOT more (FREE) channels to access, other than the limited selection on their Firesticks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019