Confused and Irritated New Bolt Customer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BertPre, Apr 15, 2017.

1. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016

Advertisements

Okay, this is going to be long... sorry for that.
    I have been a Tivo customer since 2000. Bought a Series I, then added a Series II (single tuner) in early 2001... both with lifetime passes. Series I still works, but wont connect to the Tivo Service since 2008. Took Series II out of storage (stored for 5 years) and started using it. It finally died late last November (2016). (I have NEVER open or modded either unit BTW). So I broke out of deep storage my Replay TV for what it was worth and used it as a dumb DVR until I settled on what to do next.
    Got $99 lifetime transfer offer from Tivo to upgrade to Bolt. Bought Bolt+ and a Tivo Mini. Whoa.... this thing is DIFFERENT..... WAY Different... some of the differences are good (love the mini too for the most part). Love the fact it finally has a 'gas tank guage' of sorts, speed is good, generally like most of the changes. Still chapped that there arent many user preferences and settings you can make... miss having the Tivo 'beeps' on everything (makes me feel like the audio is out on some menus and when FF and Rewinding, etc). But that is minor stuff.
    But what REALLY makes me think I spent entirely too much money on this and perhaps should send this back is the new IN-Ability to find anything! On my old Tivos, every Wednesday (sometimes every other Wed if I lacked the time), I would go into the 'Pick Programs to Record' section and spend 2 to 3 hrs in the 'Browse by Title' section. I could do a THOROUGH search on everything on Cable for the next week or two. I knew what categories I liked... in TV Shows part I would search the Science, Documentaries, and Sci Fy / Fantasy section, and in the Movies area i would check out the Action Adventure, Horror, Suspense, Mystery and sometimes the Drama section (very long section). Outside of that, I looked at wish lists for specialty stuff every few weeks. I KNEW I was being thorough.. got good at it over 17 years. I knew that THIS ABILITY like no other feature on Tivo was where its REAL power was. It helped justify a $200/month cable bill... WTF good are all those channels if you dont have a clue what is on them?
    Now, after getting the Tivo Bolt and being confused for a couple of days, I am starting to see that those abilities have been pretty much wiped off the face of the earth. They made something LIKE that under the "Guide" menu if you use the (C) filters, however, with that, the listings are no longer in alphabetical order and EVERY FRIGGIN OCCURANCE of the program for a given genre has to be gone thru for two weeks of data... and that is for EACH of the several genres I search each week. So for EACH genre, the list of things to 'skip thru' is at least 10 times as much data... most of it listing the individual times each occurrence 'Gold Rush' is on or what have you. So to go thru the programs like this instead of taking 2 or 3 hrs per week, would definitely take at LEAST 20 to 30 hrs per week..... like a friggin part time JOB!!! I had always thought on my Series 2 how nice it would be if I could actually filter out movies or shows I have seen (green thumbs) or rated (green or red thumbs)... that would have cut that 2 or 3 hrs down to like 30 minutes... but instead of nourishing and improving the real power of Tive (vs any cable DVR, etc), Tivo decided to severely cripple it.
    Now when it comes to TV shows, the Tivo Online website lists many shows in the 'Browse' section and is almost tolerable (again, for shows ONLY)... but I know it isnt comprehensive since the "Network" filter fails to list MANY networks, notably CW, Chiller, etc....plus I also know it isnt comprehensive from the 'Genre' filter since selecting 'Science' for example yields FAR FEWER results than my Series 2 did for the same Genre.
    But the Movies part of the Browse tab is anything BUT comprehensive. It doesnt have (in the Network filter) the likes of Epix, HBO or Showtime, etc. And of course, if you just search by Genre, many if not most 'movies' are not available at all or are only available for streaming... which I dont pay for / subscribe to. This is all about DISCOVERING what is on this $200/month Cable package, not what is on the net for me. A bunch of friggin $2.99 per view fees add up.

SO THE QUESTION I HAVE IS, is there any free service out there that allows me to do a THOUROUGH and farily quick search of MY CABLE like I used to do with my SERIES 2 TIVO? Or should I just send the damn thing back and check out if Cox's new Contour service is at least as capable as the current Tivo as far as a DVR is concerned. I am sure it will do season passes, and even my digital cable box allows me to do a stupid 'search' IN the RARE event I actually knew the name of a movie I was looking for.... remember... this inst about SEARCHING the database... it is about DISCOVERING shows and movies I had no clue were OUT THERE.... THAT was the power of the Series 2 Tivo.

So again, I am mildly furious with a brand that I have Ranted and Raved about to everybody I discussed TV with for decades.... I just cant BELIEVE the screwed this feature up!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    For the beeps issue, at least: are your Audio settings set to Dolby or to PCM? The TiVo sound effects should work when you are set to PCM. (And I miss the sound effects as well, when they disappear--it indeed feels as if something is wrong.)

I'm on a Roamio box right now, but (assuming it's similar) have you experimented, on your box, under TiVo Central's "Find TV, Movies & Video"/"Browse TV & Movies" section? I don't use that section much, and so can't vouch one way or the other. (But in checking a moment ago, I was surprised that the TV section had so few genre headings--no SciFi section, for example, as far as I could tell.)

BertPre likes this.
  3. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Yes, that is the equivalent area I used to search in my old Tivo. But they moved all that stuff out to the main 'guide' after the fashion I outlined above (it has ALL the same genre's, but you have to search thru ALL redundant showings at each time of day they are on... takes 10 x longer now. I wondered when exactly they did that... think I read something over 10 years ago that said they had changed it like that. I played with a Roamio like 5 or more yeas ago at Best Buy... hated what I saw as far as the changes, but just hoped they had hidden the old capabilities somewhere else... and they did, but they just crippled them for any practical use. If they would have just perfected them (like being able to filter out shows/movies you have already watched), I think it might have caught on more than it did... took me over 5 years before it sank in that I could (fairly) efficiently do a thorough search that way.

4. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Additionally, I will look more closely into the sound settings after a while .... but it isnt the elephant in the room at the moment LOL.

5. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016

Advertisements

If I could just find an alternate way to search movies like I used to with the Tivo, I could just search on the net, then enter them on Tivo Online, which wouldnt be half bad.... if such a service exists (allowing you to tell them your cable provider, etc).

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah, I knew that--I just didn't know the answer to the hard question. ;)

I've never used the TiVo much to browse in your fashion, although I can see its benefits. Hopefully, others will have better ideas for some sort of accommodation.

One thing to mention: TiVo is in the process of coming out with a new interface, called "Hydra." I don't know if it will do more of what you're looking for (it seems to be more a graphical interface than content revision). There are various threads about it here. The understanding is that Roamio and Bolt boxes will have the option to move to it.

BertPre likes this.
  7. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    For an online alternative, try TitanTV. They have a pretty extensive list of categories to filter listings by. More than Zap2it or TV Guide online.

BertPre, Mikeguy and MikeBear like this.
  8. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I miss that also. I used it around the holidays to find all the shows. For those that never used it you could search holidays, documentary, types of movies, drama, comedy etc.

BertPre likes this.
  9. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    I use a personal TitanTv lineup myself, for years now. Very useful, and very easy to personalize. I have local OTA, Dish Network, Charter cable, and another older one for C-band satellite channels lineups. They even have lineups for streaming options, such as Sling and PsVue. I hide any channels I don't want to watch.

Much easier to lookup stuff than any of the dvr guides.

BertPre likes this.
  10. TheCryptkeeper

TheCryptkeeper Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Does C Band Satellite still exist?

11. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Yes

BertPre likes this.
  12. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    In addition to online sources, I use kmttg to manage my todo list & discover shows. Between the season premieres, search (search++), and guide tabs, I've found several shows that I normally would have missed.

BertPre likes this.
  13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The way newer TiVos integrate linear TV with streaming services it makes it hard to search for things that are only in your local TV listings anyway.

BertPre likes this.
  14. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016
    You guys have given me a lot of interesting possibilities to look into here. Will definitely look at TitanTV and may check out kmttg (assume that is a good way to download movies to PC should I desire to as well). I will also look at pyTivo Desktop and see what that has in that regard. Thanks guys....
    Geeze, first I have to look into the new issue of 'why my tivo mini tried to tell me that it couldnt use HDMI cable with my TV due to copyright issues' ... smh. Worked fine for 2 days.

15. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016
    My Tivo Series 2 actually DIED while I was in the process of dumping the videos to my PC (to Tivo Desktop). I got most of the content offloaded before the unit dropped dead. Since you brought it up, I was wondering if I could use something like Kmttg to transfer those Series 2 recordings to my new bolt so I could watch them there. Any insight on this?

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    See: Easier to use pyTivo

BertPre likes this.
  17. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    Yes, there's plenty of free stuff still up there, it's not really meant for the "backyard dish guy" though. However I moved last year to a new house, and I no longer have line of sight to the sats. That's due to trees in the wrong places that I just can't get around easily. So, my dishes are torn down and sitting behind my shed at the moment.

BertPre likes this.
  18. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Was nice when satalite used to be free back in early 80's (or was it late 70's?) eh.

19. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016
  20. BertPre

BertPre Member

Nov 19, 2016
    In the mean time, the kmttg thing got me thinking... (havent looked into kmttg yet, will this evening)... if it deals with Tivo guide data, is there any way to actually access a downloaded to PC version of the RAW guide database itself? Then perhaps I could write a VB program to make a functional guide the way I WANT it to be (then I could filter out shows/movies I have already seen)... then I could post my version out on the net as open source for everybody to use.