configuring TIVO by taking out hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by dougbrown, Jan 21, 2006.

1. dougbrown

dougbrown New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Berkshire

Advertisements

Hi I have a tivo I have not used for a while, I has an airnet card in it but it is configured incorrectly so it cannot connect to the network.

I have two questions.

1) As there is no network I will have to take the hard drive out and plug it into my PC. Do I boot from the mfstools disk, or do I boot from the tivo hard drive.

2) I seem to remember last time the tivo was used that I could not do daily call from internet as the tivo could not ping or connect using DNS, only with IP addresses. Is this true for TiVo's do you need to install someting else.

3) I read elsewhere that some drives are 'locked' and need to be 'unlocked' if removed from tiVo's is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    To the best of my knowledge....

1. You can't 'boot' a Tivo drive from a PC, so yes, use the MFSTools CD

2. Tivos cannot handle DNS, you have to give it a static IP yourself

3. This only applies to original Quantum/Maxtor drives, but yes you will probably need to 'unlock' the drive but ONLY if you want to use it on a PC.

3. Glesgie

Glesgie New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    London
    Sorry, but 3) is not always true.

If the PC's BIOS reports the drive size as 9MB or10MB instead of the true size then it
    needs to be unlocked using qunlock (or preferably diskutils) regardless of the manufacturer.

4. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Fair enough. Never thought for a minute I'd be completely right ;):D

5. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK

Advertisements

To change/install the network drivers you normally need to boot from the SiliconDust NIC CD (1st on page unless you have a drive > 300GB).

... eg., to install network drivers;):)