Configuring Bolt-Mini Lux with wireless adapter in Experience 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by zjr58, May 2, 2021.

1. zjr58

zjr58 New Member

May 2, 2021

Advertisements

Hi All. New here so thanks for your patience and help!

I recently purchased a TiVo Mini Lux to use with a second TV. My main hardwired connection is a TiVo Bolt. There is no MoCA or ethernet available for the mini so I also purchased the TiVo wireless 5 adapter.

I went through guided setup for the mini while attached via ethernet then moved the Mini down to it's new home. The wireless connection worked. But then not wanting to upgrade by Bolt to Experience 4, I downgraded the mini and...now the wireless is no longer recognized. I tried rebooting it and rerunning setup but to no avail. Do I need to somehow upgrade it again to get the wireless adapter recognized?

Thanks for the help!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The setup screen & support for the wifi 5 is in TE4 only. There are other Ethernet to wireless adapters available. Price varies.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. zjr58

zjr58 New Member

May 2, 2021
    Thanks. I didn't think there were non-TiVo branded WiFi adapters that would work? Is that incorrect? Any specific recommendation?

I've been a non-stop TiVo customer since the late 90's (series 1). And in general, TiVo has made its bones by being easy and simple and flexible. This has been a disappointing experience to say the least.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In general the router is where you start. It needs to have the power, usually indicated by external antennae. The antenna thing goes for the adapters. My current router, Netgear R8000, is overkill for a small system but gives me the flexibility I need. It supports devices on other floors and rooms. But I find the little Linksys RE6500 used by my two A93 and one A95 Mini to be stable and strong. Diagnostics on the RE6500 are above average, as it is really intended to be used as an extender. From my PC I can see the strength of the signal being received so minor changes of placement can be done.

Other devices: Networking problem with Roamio and TiVo Mini

5. zjr58

zjr58 New Member

May 2, 2021

Advertisements

Hmmm...perhaps I was not clear in the description of my issue.

It's not a matter of signal strength from router to wifi network. In fact, I've run the setup literally right next to the router. It's that there is NO option to switch to WiFi mode on the Mini Lux in TE3. It's like it does not even recognize that I've plugged in the adapter.

I'm factory re-setting the Mini in the hopes that it goes back to TE4 and will allow me to select a wireless mode.

6. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    TiVo is the only one who has a USB WiFi adapter that works with the Mini VOX/LUX in TE4.

Any wireless network extender “may” work when plugged into the Mini’s Ethernet port for either TE3 or TE4.

I currently use powerline adapters to get my network extended to my Mini running TE4.

7. zjr58

zjr58 New Member

May 2, 2021
    Yes! I have a network extender and am trying this method now. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before. Thank you all.