Confessions of a heretic

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Falkor, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Dec 1, 2019 #1 of 54
    Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    My first TiVo box was a Series 1, with a huge 30 GB drive. It was little more than a glorified VCR, but I loved it.

Time passed, and after assorted upgrades, I am now running a Bolt 500 GB. The love affair has died.

I live in an area whose only cable option is Xfinity, and is currently my cable/phone/internet provider. I hate the X1 interface, but with the various business/corporate changes going on at TiVo, I gave X1 another chance.

Visiting the local Comcast shop, I got the latest 4K secondary box, the Xi6-T. Basically, it is just another wireless streaming box (like Fire TV cube, Apple TV, etc) but runs X1 as the OS and Xfinity Stream as its main app. It is about the size of a double-sized CD case.

Other than the interface, and a Hulu app, I cannot find anything that the TiVo does better. *gasp*

With the Xfinity box, I have full access to the entire Xfinity On Demand library, including all premium channels to which I subscribe. I also have the same Netflix, Amazon and Tubi access. The Vudu app is irrelevant, as Comcast participates in Movies Anywhere and my content already shows up as purchased.

(Movies Anywhere also means that your iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, YouTube and Microsoft movies show up as well)

TiVo’s latest addition is TiVo+, which is nothing more than content provided by FilmRise. Xfinity already has the exact same FilmRise content.

There is literally no content that Xfinity doesn’t run circles around TiVo.

As far as cost is concerned, I am currently paying $15 per month for TiVo, and $7 for the comcast cable card. The rental of the Xi6-T is only $10. Comcast is cheaper by $12. (I could get a full DVR from Comcast for $20, two dollars cheaper!)

Bottom line: I can’t justify keeping the TiVo interface at the cost of the content provided by Xfinity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Dec 1, 2019 #2 of 54
    just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    10 years with Dish then 10 years with DirecTV. Balied when AT&T bought DirecTV and they raised my my monthly price to $125 from $79 with regular increases promised in the future.

I don't stream... too choppy and audio dropouts. Won't do "cloud" anything.

Bought two Roamio OTAs with lifetime. Offset the TiVo cost in 5 1/2 months not paying DirecTV.

Wife acclimated to the Roamio T3 UI in minutes... a BIG plus.

Since then I'm in the black about $18,000.00 viewing and recording OTA with our two Roamios for FREE.

Boy am i dumb.

johnfasc, unclehonkey, Bigg and 2 others like this.
  3. Dec 1, 2019 #3 of 54
    Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Being a hardcore cord cutter and running off of rabbit ears only will definitely net you enough to buy a car eventually.

Not sure who is insulting your intelligence. That seems a bit uncalled for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dec 1, 2019 #4 of 54
    just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Actually bought a new car last month... well I guess DirecTV bought me a car by not paying them for 4 1/2 years.

I Iove DirecTV...

Bigg and Mikeguy like this.
  5. Dec 1, 2019 #5 of 54
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    While I also quit Tivo about a year ago and am not exactly a fan of their current trajectory, are you sure the Comcast DVR does commercial skip and quick mode better than Tivo?

tarheelblue32 likes this.
  6. Dec 1, 2019 #6 of 54
    Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Xfinity does not have a quick mode equivalent. They do have Auto Resume (a rough equivalent to TiVo’s commercial skip) but it isn’t as widely used as TiVo’s

media.savant and Noelmel like this.
  7. Dec 1, 2019 #7 of 54
    SullyND

SullyND W: 45-24 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    My Roamio Pro is nearly six years old, and I haven’t paid TiVo a cent for it after I bought it and paid for lifetime. During that time they’ve added the ability to use minis, skipmode, quickmode. It runs TE3 great. I don’t use it for apps - my TV does that, including the xfinity app. How big of a hard drive does the xfinity box have? Can you expand it? Mine has a 3TB (stock) drive and has a ton of content recorded on it.

johnfasc, WVZR1, chiguy50 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dec 1, 2019 #8 of 54
    Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Educated guesswork - the new TiVo Edge claims 300 hours on the 2 TB model. Comcast claims 150 on local storage, so I assume it’s a 1 TB drive. They also provide 60 hours of “cloud DVR” per local DVR. I think this is just a mirror, however, intended for use by other stream boxes.

((Correction: the X1G1 DVR IS 500 GB, not 1TB))

Expanding capacity - Comcast support pages state that the X1 boxes do not support external drives. With full on demand support, the number of programs you “need” to record drops dramatically. (Do you need to record HBO’s Watchmen when you can get it On Demand anytime? Do you need to save all of Deadwood when it’s On Demand? ) Many networks have the most recent five episodes on demand as well, again reducing the need for recording.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  9. Dec 1, 2019 #9 of 54
    SullyND

SullyND W: 45-24 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I have “full on demand” support too (on my TV, via the xfinity app). OnDemand certainly does not supplant recording. Why record anything? I have programs on my TiVo from over four years ago. How far back does the ondemand library go? Can you watch programs that are no longer on TV?

10. Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Sounds like no matter what I say, I will always be 100% wrong. I concede to your superiority.

mschnebly likes this.
  11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    not to mention the inability to ffwd/rwd so much of on-demand content - unless i'm using it for premium channels, an emergency backup source for missed recordings, or for remote viewing, on-demand really isn't much of a factor for me.

kpeters59 likes this.
  12. skkyup

skkyup We had some good times

Dec 1, 2019
    Silicon Valley
    I loved and had them all, Stand Alone's, Sony's, Phillips, DirecTv, Series I, II & III's Roamio's and Mini's too. We were a noisy HD cloning family with Cable Card expertise beyond any provider, but that time has finally come. Your software side has let your hardware down my dear friend. Thank you for making a VCR feel like a flip phone in the hands of a first iPhone owner. Thank you for the friendly parties in Alviso, it was truly a fun ride while it lasted.

Even your ad addiction didn't bother me TiVo, but your excessive software instability does, and your friends are worried about you.
    Simple things like your Show Info, your cute little Red Recoding Dot and even your Green Progress Bar are now malfunctioning as we navigate through your menu. Sometimes only to suddenly reappear after switching channels late at night. Where are you taking them? Are you treating them nice when you abduct them?
    We worry about 5G kidnapping your hardware while you neglect your software's reputation.

Goodbye Old Friend, Goodbye Lifetime Service
    Our time together will never be forgotten

media.savant likes this.
  13. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The current generation of Comcast DVR's (X1G1) have a 500GB HDD. Storage capacity is roughly 60 hours for HD programming. That 150 hour capacity that Xfinity sometimes touts is either for SD or else is just marketing fluff. And as you say, the 60 hours is mirrored on the cloud.

Of course, your Xi6 box is headless and thus has no on-board recording capability.

As far as recording "need" is concerned, that is highly subjective. I agree that the wide availability of on-demand content mitigates the requirement for local storage, but that is only part of the picture. I rely on both resources and find them complementary for my purposes.

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It's an average. With only Comcast "HD" cable content, you'd get about 250 hours due to the extreme level of MPEG-4 compression. With local channels, it could range anywhere between about 65 and 125 hours. However, some markets are converting locals over to MPEG-4 as well, so it will be about 250 hours of "HD" content regardless of channel. "HD" needs air quotes since Comcast's over-compressed mess of "HD" is barely marginally better than 480p DVD quality on a good day.

15. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Really - you're back to that!!!!

Bigg likes this.
  16. Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Valid point. We have no way of knowing how (over)compessed the video from Comcast is.

Fortunately, since all my content originated from Comcast to begin with, I’m not really losing any picture quality

p.s. for the benefit of the peanut gallery, I originally stated that I am using the Xi6-T box. (Also known as Xfinity Flex). Others have thrown the X1G1 (the hard drive DVR) just to shoot down points that I never made.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  17. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    1. Yes I am.
    2. It's true.
    3. It explains why they can quite reasonably claim "160 hours" on a 500GB hard drive, and will soon be able to claim "250 hours".

Yes, we do. Cable channels are between 3.8mbps and 4.2mbps MPEG-4, locals are passed through directly in most markets, compressed to MPEG-4 in a few.

Huh? You lost the VQ when Comcast compressed them in Denver. The original C-band broadcasts were MUCH higher quality. Although most can't get the original broadcasts, DirecTV and several streaming providers do a much better quality re-compression than Comcast.

18. Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Again, it appears that my point was missed. Whether I’m getting Comcast content through a TiVo or getting Comcast content through X1, it’s still the same Comcast content. ...with arguably overcompressed video. Staying with TiVo won’t change that.

mattyro7878 likes this.
  19. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    How true! I switched from Spectrum(with Tivo) to Comcast/Xfinity with 2 X1 dvr's and third small box of some form of the X1 platform. Yes I miss the Tivo auto skip BUT the X1 does what I want without all of Tivo problems. Spinning circles, and other things. Ny first Tivo was way back in the day with Direct TV. Had a number of diff. Direct Tv models over the years. Moved and tried Uverse, great DV but with clients it fell short. Then went back to Direct TV with the Genie. That's was a good unit but with prices going up went to spectrum with Tivo. Worked all right till 14 months after I bought the Bolt it died. Got a refurbish bolt now it would spin that stupid circle at times. Now it's the X1 platform saving a few dollars and it has been rock steady.

20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    True. Garbage either way. The fix is simple. Cancel Comcast (for TV anyway). Not "arguably overcompressed" it IS overcompressed.