Component video output from Mini through a BALUN

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Francorossobianco, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Sep 2, 2018 #1 of 12
    Francorossobianco

Francorossobianco New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    So, I'm trying to use the component video output with my mini and not getting any results except a scrambled video. I'm connecting the Mini to a BALUN and transmitting over my home network. This method has worked in the past with other TV services/providers and I'm wondering if there's anything obvious that I may be missing. I've checked out the obvious like whether any of the three component video cables were inadvertently swapped into the wrong cable.

2. Sep 2, 2018 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I connected a component cable to my A93 Mini and it follows the resolution and content of the HDMI output. I was driving a 1080p TV. I left the HDMI connected and didn't receive any HDCP error messages.

Before somebody asks: Video Baluns | UTP Baluns

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  3. Sep 2, 2018 #3 of 12
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'd test directly connected to a TV first if you are having issues. Where did you get the Mini AV breakout cable from also?

Scott

4. Sep 2, 2018 #4 of 12
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    Heres a thought, you said "transmitting over my home network" I hope you mean just your network cable drops and not the actual functioning Ethernet network. Any balun I have used, while designed to run over Ethernet cable it is NOT intended to be used on a live network

SNJpage1 and Francorossobianco like this.
  5. Sep 2, 2018 #5 of 12
    Francorossobianco

Aug 23, 2018
    Wow Scott I didn't know that but I've been doing this for years with my Dish box and it always worked great. I didn't change anything with the Ethernet cable so I figured it would be ok. And I didn't know that it is supposed to be a direct connection so I need to check. Been so long since I did the wiring I don't remember!

6. Sep 2, 2018 #6 of 12
    Francorossobianco

Aug 23, 2018
    I don't know! It was in my box of cables. I ordered a new one from TiVo and I'll let you know

7. Sep 2, 2018 #7 of 12
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My guess is either the pinout isn't correct for the Mini which minimally could mean that the colors are wrong or could mean that it's never going to work (if the actually pin type is incorrect even though it fits).

Scott

8. Sep 2, 2018 #8 of 12
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Well I meant test with a direct connection to the TV to rule out anything else other than the breakout cable (or a problem with the Mini which is less likely).

Scott

Francorossobianco likes this.
  9. Sep 3, 2018 #9 of 12
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I think it’s highly unlikely that a non-TiVo cable you already had will have the correct pin out. Also realize you need 2 cables - one for video and another for audio.

You said you did this for years with Dish. Are you sure it was component and not composite? Was your cable 5 plugs or just 3?

10. Francorossobianco

Aug 23, 2018
    And the winner is! Longrider. It's been so long since I used my BALUNS that I forgot they DON'T USE THE NETWORK. Just connect a single CAT5 cable to each end and it works like a charm. Now I can watch TV on the deck without having to buy a new mini.

11. Francorossobianco

Aug 23, 2018
    Thanks, yeah it was all good except I was connecting to the home network instead of direct connection BALUN to BALUN.....

12. Francorossobianco

Aug 23, 2018
    Yep, and that's how I finally figured it out.