Component out issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dianebrat, Dec 20, 2014.

1. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

Yes, I feel like an idiot, but I'm totally stumped.

So I bought a Slingbox 350 to have more options as I travel, and in trying to hook it up I can't seem to get any of my 3 Tivo's to use component out, I have 2 Roamios and a Premiere. I've done my homework on the possible issues with simultaneous HDMI and Component out and decided to sacrifice my Premiere to be component only, and I can not get it to work, even when going direct into my TV I can't get any component outputs.

I've even gone and had it booted up and pressed the format button, and no matter what, nothing ever shows on the TV. I've rebooted with only the component cables plugged in, and nothing..

Am I missing something dumb?

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Someone else with direct experience with this should pop in here, but I've read here on TCF that at some point the Roamio software had changed such that output is only component video or HDMI but not both, as you seem to have discovered. Since there is no option in settings to specify such, I suspect you'd have to run through setup again to change from HDMI to component video. I seem to remember there is a point at which your cabling is selected. I can imagine you might need to change cabling during the setup process to complete it. If you figure this out, please share your experience!

(Also, anyone tempted to restart the inane discussion of the semantics of the term "component video" please go soak your head instead!)

3. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Is your Composite video working? The Yellow cable.

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    So maybe rerun setup with composite video connected, specify composite video, and then connect composite video when complete. I would expect that would work.

5. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...

Advertisements

I'm using component for my Roamio.

You are sure the component video ins on your TV are working? (I know, I know, but I had to ask.)

6. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's my next step I had limited time to troubleshoot last night before becoming overly frustrated.
    well it USED to work, but after 2 Tivo's wouldn't work on it I'm going to try hooking the PS3 to it as a test.

FWIW the TV only came into troubleshooting AFTER the Slingbox kept saying it had no video to it.

In my head I know the Tivo's should be able to use component and have used it in the past, I'm stumped as to why I can't get component out of any of the units I want to use, the Premiere XL is the logical choice for me to give to the Slingbox.

7. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I am using a Slingbox Pro-HD with my Roamio Pro without issue. The component cables go to the Slingobx and HDMI to the TV so it does work. This exact set up also worked with my Premiere unit I had before I purchased the Roamio.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    My premiere was set up using component cables. I added an hdmi cable later on and I can switch freely between the component and hdmi inputs on my tv and view the tivo just fine. I prefer the component cables because the picture is visible faster than hdmi when I turn on the tv. I find the handshake process of hdmi annoying. I can't tell any difference in picture quality on a 32" lcd tv.

9. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW with this week being my last at work and the holiday, I haven't gotten a chance to get back to this, but I plan to over the long holiday weekend.

I've also set Tivos up via component in the past which is why this lack of them wanting to output is so flummoxing. As far as those saying "just rerun setup" I'd have to do that under HDMI until I can get an active component output.

10. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    SO I took everything apart, tested each set of cables on my Xbox360, they all worked, I hooked them up exactly like I had it before on the Slingbox and it worked perfectly!... damn gremlins :confused:

Worth noting both cables had been taken off and swapped multiple times on the Slingbox last weekend..

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Have you brought any new electronics gear into the house recently?

I'm convinced that hardware jealousy is a real thing.

And Happy whatever you call the holidays.

12. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Remember it's wiring first then chardonnay, not the other way around.

13. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Diane, I know that this is probably not what you want to hear, but.......

Why are you trying to use component outputs anyway? Is there a reason why you dont use the standard def RCA output from your Premiere to the slingbox?

Its been a while, but that is what I did when I used to use a Slingbox with my Tivo Premiere.

If you are trying to use a cell phone or tablet to receive the Slingbox stream, you wont be able to tell much(or any) difference in quality between component or composite. Obviously, the smaller your screen on the receiving device the less difference the resolution makes.

Also, if I recall correctly, using the standard def connection consumes less internet bandwith. And if you are traveling, this can actually be a benefit at times.

TC

14. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have no interest in streaming composite video to the eventual big screen TV's when I'm away for a week at a time for work, 720p would be acceptable. Even then I'm using this in addition to my Tivo Stream when I wind up in a place where the Stream isn't giving me what I want.

It's now a non-issue since I got a chance to get it working and so far all is good.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I wish I knew earlier, this explains so much in the house :)
    (insert video of the Three Stooges rewiring the house and water coming out of lightbulbs)

:D