Comparison Options Requested

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dhculley, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Apr 7, 2021 #1 of 12
    dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021

Advertisements

Since my 3 yr old Roamio/ota has flown south I want to get another DVR to replace it..we do not do streaming or such..we have only a few channels we like and we do like to record some shows for later viewing..and we like the the 'guide' it provides..

So between a roamio/ota or a bolt/ota are there any opinions of which might be better. Since you cannot get a new one anymore but only 'refurbished' who knows how well they hold up..my original new on lasted 2and 1/2 years..no good for the money spent...

Anyway..we like the features of TIVO..so trying to figure which way to go..

Thank you..

2. Apr 7, 2021 #2 of 12
    cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    What’s wrong with your Roamio?

Are you sure it’s not fixable?

krkaufman and dianebrat like this.
  3. Apr 7, 2021 #3 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I would avoid the newer Bolts and Edge. The drive inside are laptop drives and they tend to fail frequently.

Most likely, the Roamio hard drive died and can be easily replaced. Up to a 3TB can be used without a computer. WD Red Plus (WD30EFRX) or similar models ending in EFRX is recommended. The Roamio will self-prepare the drive.

4. Apr 7, 2021 #4 of 12
    lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    3 years is very early for a Roamio to conk out. OTA, I’m assuming you have one of the curved ones with the external power supply wall wart? Replace that first, 12v 3a DC. Then replace the drive. All preferable to a Bolt or an Edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Apr 7, 2021 #5 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

The plug is 2.1mm x5.5mm.

6. Apr 8, 2021 #6 of 12
    dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    I had a long discussion with Weakknees and they said it was not fixable..when activated it goers directly to 'No signal' message..WK thought the HDMI port was bad, but if you turn it off and back on the TIVO Startup message appears then goes to 'no signal'..which tells me the Video In is not working..hooking the video cable to the TV shows all channels are just fine..
    thank you for your response..appreciated..

7. Apr 8, 2021 #7 of 12
    dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    I had a long discussion with Weakknees and they said it was not fixable..when activated it goers directly to 'No signal' message..WK thought the HDMI port was bad, but if you turn it off and back on the TIVO Startup message appears then goes to 'no signal'..which tells me the Video In is not working..hooking the video cable to the TV shows all channels are just fine..
    Thank you for your response..appreciated..

8. Apr 8, 2021 #8 of 12
    dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021

Several have said to stay away fro Bolt and Edge..thank you for your response..appreciated..

9. Apr 8, 2021 #9 of 12
    klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    If you buy a new box, when connected to your account if everything else is working then you can transfer the shows to the new box.

10. dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    Wow..that sounds promising..if there any documentation on how that process can work..I would very much appreciate knowing more..thank you for your kind response...

11. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    When there both online you can see any other box through My shows, My Devices, and transfer what you have on whichever box.

12. dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    This is a great suggestion..I have ordered a replacement Roamio/ota and when it arrives and I get it set up I will see if I can get your suggestion to work..thank you..very much appreciated..