Companies That Will Disappear

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by occraig, Jan 27, 2012.

1. occraig

occraig New Member

Jul 8, 2007
  2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Interesting, but not all that surprising. I had never even heard of about one third of the companies mentioned (and apparently I'm not alone or else they might be doing better). Tivo has always been a niche product that started an industry trend. Unfortunately for Tivo, there are lots of competitors that offer the same basic product at a lower cost. Most cable or satellite subscribers are content to rent their boxes instead of paying an upfront cost and then having to pay a monthly fee on top of their cable or satellite bill. I think if Tivo had leased their boxes at a rate competitive with provider hardware instead of selling them outright they might have a better chance at survival.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I have heard of all the companies mentioned, and the list does not seem far-fetched. But one never knows. I've worked for two companies that have disappeared (or, rather, been acquired and digested: DEC and Compaq), so I know it can happen. I remember once saying that "A $14B company can't disappear overnight." Oh, yes it can...

4. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Not terribly surprised by their list, but thought they could have rounded it to ten by adding BestBuy.

5. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Somebody mark that article and remind us at the end of the year. I want to see if any of it comes true. Because these financial writers are always so accurate. ;)

6. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I remember when DEC wouldn't lay off any of their employees during slow times, you were an employee for life.

I also remember when Compaq bought them and thought about how they were a bit player making portable computers.

HP came along and sucked them up and the end of the VMS operating system was at hand.

We were heavy into DEC computers at one time in our plant and we still have a couple of systems running VMS. We're slowly migrating to Linux.

You once worked for one of the best companies around, sorry for how it worked out.

7. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I would think any company purchasing TiVo will continue to operate the company as TiVo. I don't think TiVo will be sold this year, maybe in a year or two if TiVo can improve their relationship with cable companies. In any event, TiVo doesn't disappear this year.

8. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Actually, all companies will disappear this year when the Mayan Calendar comes to an end.

9. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Office Depot on last year's list, and Office Max on this year's.

They'll keep picking office supply stores until they get one right, I guess. :D

10. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Looking at their 10 Doomed companies from last year, it looks like they were correct on only one...and that was a tip in...Borders.

With their record, being on their list shouldn't bother anyone.

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
  12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    What other 2 went away?

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, they are calling being merged into a larger corporation, "disappearing". That beings their batting average to .300. 'Underwhelming.

14. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    But I don't even see that...

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm sure this was discussed in another thread but a recent episode of 30 Rock had a brief joke about Tivo where they basically said "hey remember Tivo and those cute little noises" Tina Fey and James Marsden then spent 15 seconds making all the little noises that a Tivo makes as he sat on the couch using a DVR that was clearly not a Tivo. For a while, Tivo was mentioned quite often in TV shows as part of the script. I don't hear it talked about very much anymore. The creative side of Hollywood was in love with Tivo for a long time. I think this shows how they feel about it now.

16. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I agree DEC was a great company to work for. But it worked out ok for me - my slice of Compaq was bought by Intel just before HP swallowed Compaq and we're doing just fine...

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was just about to do the same thing. Of their list:
    - Saab made it through 2011, barely, but it did it.
    - Office Depot. Still here.
    - Dean Foods. Not gone.
    - Frontier Airlines. Not dead yet.
    - Sara Lee. Not even close to gone.
    - Borders. Gone in 2011, but that wasn't exactly a reach.
    - Gateway. Still around.
    - Dollar Thrifty. Yup, you guessed it - still here.
    - Answers Corp. Wow, they don't even pick the right .com to go bust!
    - E*Trade. Definitely not gone.

So, yeah. Of their 10 in 2011, they got exactly 1 right. Even if we give them Saab, by the simple factor that they just barely limped into 2012, that's still only a 20% success rate.

18. mmarlys

mmarlys New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Hello Fellow TiVo Users,

Two days ago my TiVo Elite downloaded the latest software upgrade. Ever since than I have had lots of trouble with the "keep until feature". Has anyone else had trouble with this? I change the date on some shows that I do not want to watch right than but would later on and the change doesn't stick. When I go back to the show the date is the same as it was prior to what I switched it to.

Any help would be appreciated. Incidently I only have this problem in the high definition menu, if I go into settings and switch to the standard menu than I have no problems (except that I prefer the HD menu...I like the discovery bar and the video window).

mmarlys

19. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    In the interest of greater visibility and increasing your chances of getting useful answers, I suggest you go to the Premiere forum

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=67

and start a new thread with your question.